Hoping for good outcome!

The statement of ABSDF issued on March 24th is a little bit weird for me.
As a former Chairman of ABSDF, I am hoping for the positive outcome from
the ABSDF conference.  Unlike the previous conferences, this conference did
not mention who has been elected as Chairman, vice Chairman, CEC , etc etc.
I guess the new body do not want to mention its leaders in public and it
is not a good sign for ABSDF and its future reputation.  I sensed there is
no new leadership emerge from the conference and something is terribly
wrong.  If my judgement is wrong, it will good for the ABSDF.

With best regards

Htun Aung Gyaw

Media Release - 21/99
March 24, 1999

FIFTH ABSDF CONGRESS RE-AFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO POLITICAL WORK INSIDE BURMA

Delegates to the Fifth Congress of the All Burma Students' Democratic Front
(ABSDF) re-affirmed their commitment to political work inside Burma to
mobilize the people of Burma for democratic change.

The decision was taken unanimously during the Congress, held at a secret
location on the Thai-Burma border from February 26 through March 17.
Fifty-eight representatives and seventeen observers from ABSDF camps along
the Thai, China, Bangladesh and Indian borders attended the Congress.

During the Congress, a political strategy to bring about political change
through mobilization of the people was reviewed and adopted, while other
working programs were laid down and agreed upon. The delegates also
reviewed and adopted new provisions for current international campaigns,
the ABSDF constitution, alliances and the organization's working
relationship with alliance partners.

An ABSDF statement read, "In the past decade, the military has not been
able to bring about any positive changes - political, economic or social.
In addition, its rule has intensified the general dissatisfaction of the
people and their hatred towards the military. This has made Burma a box of
dynamite that will explode with the slightest activity."

After thorough review of the political situation inside Burma, the
delegates also re-affirmed their support for "peaceful tripartite dialogue"
between the pro-democracy groups led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the
representatives of the ethnic nationalities and the military junta.

At the close of the Congress a new Central Committee was elected,
comprising 30 members. In accordance with the constitution, this committee
is to lead the ABSDF for the next three years

The Congress took an important decision to honour ABSDF members who have
died struggling to promote democracy and human rights in Burma.  Another
resolution was passed to express gratitude, sympathy and respect to those
pro-democracy activists imprisoned because of their work with the
organisation, and to their families.

All Burma Students' Democratic Front

For more information please contact: 01-253 9082, 01-654 4984