statement of condolences for Dr. Mi

Subject: statement of condolences for Dr. Michael Aris

Statement of condolences for Dr. Michael Aris (Husband of Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi)

It is with great sadness and deepest sympathy that we learn about Dr.
Michael Aris's demise.

Dr. Michael Aris, an Oxford academic and a British subject is survived
by his wife Daw Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma's National League for
Democracy and two sons.

Dr. Aris has been denied visa to visit his wife by Burma's military
dictators since 1996.

During the past three months, since his cancer had spread to his lungs
and spine, he knew that he was not going to live long and he had been
constantly pleading with Burma's military dictators to fulfill his last
wish and to grant him a visa to visit his wife for
the last time before his death. Just before his condition worsened, Dr.
Aris had
written to Suu Kyi telling her not to come out to England to look after
him but to attend to the needs of her people.  This clearly shows that
Dr. Aris is a person who is benevolent, generous, kindhearted who puts
the needs of others before his own.

Even convicts and people on death row in the State prisons get their
last wish granted. Why shouldn't a gentle and good-hearted person like
Dr. Aris who encouraged his wife's wishes to free the people of Burma
from under the tyranny of military dictators and bring Democracy to them
be rejected his last wish.

We strongly condemn the military dictators of Burma for this cruel and
uncompassionate act of irresponsibility towards one of our own citizens
and her husband. It distinctly shows that the military dictators of
Burma are insensitive to the needs of human beings.

We wish to send a message to all the people around the world that all
Burmese citizens will never forget Dr. Michael Aris for his generosity
and selfless endeavor in allowing his wife to be the voice for the
depressed people of Burma at the expense of his own life and happiness.
We appreciate the many sacrifices he had made in complying with the
wishes of his wife.

We genuinely acknowledge Dr. Michael Aris as a man of admirable
character and we promise always to remember him with fondest respect for
being such a loving friend
to the people of Burma.

With fervent condolences

Burma Image