NLD Statement 49 in English

National League for Democracy
NO (97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Statement No: 49 (3/99)

1.	Our information is that on the sixteenth and seventeenth of February
1999, at Tar-gwa, Htan ?thone-bin village tracts of Myan-aung township,
Irrawaddy Division, the Towsnship SPDC headed by one U Myo Set
(Secretary) summoned all the farmers who failed to supply the required
amount of paddy, threatened and ordered them to supply 14 baskets per
acre even though the prescribed amount was 12 baskets.

2.	Daw Tin Yee, cultivator from Pay-gone village (Htan-thon-bin east)
made the submission " I have fulfilled my quota every year, but because
of weather conditions I have not been able to do so this year." U Myo
Set who is only as old as Daw Tin Yee's son rebuked her in the presence
of about 200 other cultivators and said " You talk  too much
(long-tongued). I am asking whether or not you will sell the paddy. Have
nothing else to say. I will slap your face." This is the report that has
reached us. A public servant should never behave in such a disgraceful
manner. Her daughter Ma Tin Yee was much aggrieved when she heard about
this so she went to U Myo Set and told him that as a Buddhist he should
have more fellow feeling and not speak so disrespectfully to someone who
is his mother's age.

3.	U Myo Set then got the police who accompanied him to handcuff Ma Thin
Thin and put her into the car which was standing in the sun. She was
left baking in the sun. After about forty five minutes her husband who
was standing near by brought her some drinking water but the police
objected and knocked the cup of water out of his hand. Ma Thin Thin was
left thirsty and baking in the sun.

4.	We condemn this mistreatment of one's fellow being and abuse of
authority and weaponry.

5.	In a similar fashion, on 19 February 1999, in Nyaung-tae village, Tha
?byay-gone village tract, Myan-aung township, a group led by the head of
the township police unit and consisting of the following:- U Than Lwin
(Shwe-kyin village police station in-charge), U Aung Soe (Tha-byay ?gone
police  outpost in charge), and U Hla Tin (chairman of Tha-byay-gone
SPDC) raided the homes of the following cultivators and confiscated
paddy stored for household use claiming that they had failed to supply
their full quota of paddy:-
1.	U Ko San
2.	Ko Kyauk
3.	Ko Maw Thein
4.	U Kan Hla
5.	U Tin Pay
6.	U Sein Thaung
7. 	U Than Tin
8.	U Htun Khin
9.	U Kyi Thaung
10.	U Htoon Yin
11.	U Saw Win
12.	U Thaung Shwe

6.	It has also been reported that the above group demanded payment of
kyats 640/- per basket for the short fall and threatened to arrest and
confiscate the lands of those who defaulted. Some have had to sell their
cattle, lands and belongings and are endeavouring to pay the money
demanded. Many farmers in the villages of Seit-phu-gone and In-gwae
(Tha-byay-gone) village tracts were arrested as in Nyaung-Tae cvillage.

7.	We detest and denounce this corrupt extortion of money by dishonest
means, unjust behaviour, and the selfishness towards cultivators and
farmers who are our benefactors. We emphatically urge that such
practices be immediately halted.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon