Clinton Statement on Death of Dr. M

Subject: Clinton Statement on Death of Dr. Michael Aris

Clinton Statement on Death of Dr. Michael Aris
U.S. Newswire
28 Mar 12:03
Clinton Statement on Death of Dr. Michael Aris
To: National and International desks
Contact: White House Press Office, 202-456-2100

WASHINGTON, March 28 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The following was
released today by the White House:

STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT

Death of Dr. Michael Aris

The First Lady and I were saddened to learn of the death of
Dr. Michael Aris, a scholar of Tibetan and Himalayan Studies
at Oxford University. We offer our sincere condolences to his
wife, Aung San Suu Kyi, his sons Alexander and Kim, and other
family members.

Dr. Aris's perseverance and dedication to his wife and family, and
to the cause of human rights and democracy in Burma, earned him the
respect and admiration of citizens around the world. At this
difficult time, I want to reaffirm to Michael's family and to all the
people of Burma that the United States will keep working for the day
when all who have been separated and sent into exile by the denial of
human rights in Burma are reunited with their families, and when
Burma is reunited with the family of freedom.

-0-
/U.S. Newswire 202-347-2770/
03/28 12:03