The BurmaNet News: March 28, 1999

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
 "Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: March 28, 1999
Issue #1237

SPECIAL ISSUE: MICHAEL ARIS' DEATH

Noted in Passing: "She constantly reminded me that one day she would have
to return to Burma, that she counted on my support at that time, not as her
due, but as a favour." - MICHAEL ARIS, FROM THE INTRODUCTION OF FREEDOM
FROM FEAR

"I only ask one thing, that should my people need me, you would help me to
do my duty by them ... .  Sometimes I am beset by fears that circumstances
and national considerations might tear us apart just when we are so happy
in each other that separation would be a torment.  And yet ... I am sure
that love and compassion will triumph in the end."  - DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI
IN A LETTER TO MICHAEL ARIS, PUBLISHED IN FREEDOM FROM FEAR

BurmaNet Editor's Note: Much of the information carried in the original
articles of this issue repeats itself.  In the interest of conciseness, I
have removed the repetitious material, indicated by [ ...] where the text
originally appeared.  Also, various groups have sent messages of condolence
via BurmaNet since learning of Dr. Aris' death.  Excerpts from those
statements appear at the end of this issue.

HEADLINES:
==========
NYT: MYANMAR OPPOSITION LEADER'S HUSBAND DIES
AFP: MYANMAR JUNTA OFFERS CONDOLENCES TO ASSK
AFP: US LAMENTS DEATH OF ARIS, BLASTS MYANMAR
US NEWSWIRE: CLINTON STATEMENT
REUTERS: ANNAN CRITICIZES MYANMAR
RFB: THE DEATH OF MICHAEL ARIS
VARIOUS: MESSAGES OF CONDOLENCE

NEW YORK TIMES: MYANMAR OPPOSITION LEADER'S HUSBAND DIES
27 March, 1999 by Seth Mydans

Michael Aris, the British husband of the Burmese opposition leader Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi, died of cancer today in London after being denied permission
by Burmese authorities to pay a last visit to her.

Mr. Aris, 53, a noted scholar of Tibet at Oxford, had cared for the
couple's two teenage sons in Britain since his wife took on her political
role in1988 and remained in Myanmar, the former Burma.

In interviews. Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi has said that the loss of contact with
her husband and of her chance to be a mother to her sons was one of the
sacrifices she had been forced to make to lead the opposition.

It is a sacrifice her husband said she had warned him she might one day
make, from the early yeas of their marriage- and one in which he supported
her. He has occasionally released statements abroad on her behalf, and
together with their sons, accepted the Nobel Peace Prize for her Oslo in 1991.

Mr. Aris had received only periodic permission to visit his wife over the
past 10 years, six years of which she was under house arrest. She remains
under strict Government control in the capital, Yangon (formerly Rangoon),
as the military continues a campaign of harassment and imprisonment against
her party, the National League for Democracy.

In recent weeks Mr. Aris, who was in the late stages of prostate cancer,
had petitioned the Government of Myanmar to allow him to visit her.

The Government denied his request, saying it would make more sense for the
healthy wife to visit the sick husband. It also said Myanmar could not
provide adequate medical care to a man in his condition.

But Mrs. Aung San Suu Kyi had made it clear she would not leave Myanmar for
fear  the Government would not let her return.

She issued a statement today saying, "On behalf of my sons, Alexander and
Kim, as well as in my own behalf, I want to thank all those around the
world who have supported my husband during his illness."

In an unusual move, her statement was disseminated by the American Embassy
in Myanmar, which telephoned it to reports abroad. The embassy has been a
strong supporter of Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi and the pro-democracy movement.

Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi met Mr. Aris while a student at Oxford. They married
in 1972. The Government of Myanmar has questioned her patriotism in
marrying a foreigner.

It was a visit to her dying mother in 1998 that brought Ms. Aung San Suu
Kyi to Myanmar at the time of a pro-democracy uprising that wad crushed by
the military at the cost of hundreds of lives.

The daughter of the country's independence hero, Gen. Aung San, who was
assassinated in 1947, she took the leading position in the new democratic
opposition, which overwhelmingly won an election in 1990 that was then
annulled by the Junta.

In an introduction to a collection of his wife's writings called "Freedom
>From Fear" (Penguin Books, 1991), Mr. Aris said her decision to stay in
Myanmar "came as no surprise." "The promise to support her decision, which
I had given in advance so many years ago, now had to be fulfilled," he wrote.

Mr. Aris described a visit to his wife in 1998. " The days I spent alone
with her that last time, completely isolated from the world, are among my
happiest memories of our many years of marriage," he wrote, adding: " We
had all the time in the world to talk about many things. I did not suspect
this was the last time we would be together for the foreseeable future."

AFP: MYANMAR JUNTA OFFERS CONDOLENCES TO AUNG SAN SUU KYI
23 January, 1998 by Ms. So and So

YANGON, March 28 (AFP) - Myanmar's ruling junta on Sunday offered its
"sincere condolences" to opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi over the death
of her husband.

The junta said it would allow Aung San Suu Kyi to return to England to
attend the funeral of Michael Aris.

"The government of Myanmar is deeply saddened to hear of Mr Michael Aris's
demise and sends its sincere condolences and sympathy to the bereaved
family in this time of grief," it said in a statement.

The junta, which strictly controls Aung San Suu Kyi's movements, had
effectively refused Aris a visa to Myanmar to allow him to visit his wife
to say goodbye before he died.

The academic died in a British hospital on Saturday of cancer.

The junta said Sunday it would help with funeral rites in Yangon and
"stands ready in providing Ms Suu Kyi with all possible assistance if she
desires to travel to England to attend the funeral rites and family affairs
at this time of bereavement."

Authorities in Yangon said they were reluctant to allow Aris to visit
Myanmar in the condition he was in and said it would be more "humane" if
Aung San Suu Kyi visited him in England.

But sources close to the National League for Democracy (NLD) leader said
she doubted she would be allowed to return despite assurances from the
junta that she could come back.

Aung San Suu Kyi led the NLD to a sweeping victory in 1990 elections but
has never been allowed to form a government.

She remains the junta's biggest political threat and is kept isolated from
the outside world while party members are arrested and intimidated.

Her marriage to Aris was a frequent topic of ridicule in the state press,
which called her a puppet of foreign interests.

Friends and supporters were seen arriving at Aung San Suu Kyi's Yangon home
and at NLD party headquarters Sunday to sign condolence books. NLD sources
told AFP that preparations were under way to arrange Buddhist funeral rites
in Yangon later this week, involving more than 50 monks in a ceremony at
Aung San Suu Kyi's home.

"Dr Aris not only showed great understanding towards Daw (honorific) Aung
San Suu Kyi's endeavours to achieve democracy and human rights ... but with
love and compassion wholeheartedly supported and assisted her cause by
making tremendous personal sacrifices," an NLD statement said.

It said all "freedom-loving people who desire democracy" shared a sense of
grief over Aris's death.

Aung San Suu Kyi married Aris in 1972. Their two sons live in England.

AFP: U.S. LAMENTS DEATH OF ARIS, BLASTS MYANMAR

WASHINGTON, March 27 (AFP) - The United States offered condolences Saturday
on the death of Michael Aris, husband of Myanmar opposition leader Aung San
Suu Kyi, and slammed the Yangon government for refusing the couple a
farewell meeting.

US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright had warm praise for Aris, who died
Saturday in a British hospital on his 53rd birthday after a bout with cancer.

"A noted scholar, Dr. Aris has sacrificed the companionship of his beloved
wife for 10 years so that she could stand with her people in Burma
(Myanmar) to struggle for human rights and democracy," Albright said in a
statement.

The chief US diplomat sharply criticized Myanmar's government for having
rebuffed international appeals to grant Aris permission to visit his wife a
final time.

"The authorities' callous disregard of the most basic humanitarian
principles is emblematic of the continuing repression" in Myanmar, she
said. "The honor exemplified by Dr. Aris in his life stands out all the
more dramatically."

[ ... ]

US NEWSWIRE: CLINTON STATEMENT ON THE DEATH OF DR. MICHAEL ARIS
28 March, 1999 by President Bill Clinton

WASHINGTON, March 28 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The following was released today by
the White House:

STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT

Death of Dr. Michael Aris

The First Lady and I were saddened to learn of the death of Dr. Michael
Aris, a scholar of Tibetan and Himalayan Studies at Oxford University. We
offer our sincere condolences to his wife, Aung San Suu Kyi, his sons
Alexander and Kim, and other family members.

Dr. Aris's perseverance and dedication to his wife and family, and to the
cause of human rights and democracy in Burma, earned him the respect and
admiration of citizens around the world. At this difficult time, I want to
reaffirm to Michael's family and to all the people of Burma that the United
States will keep working for the day when all who have been separated and
sent into exile by the denial of human rights in Burma are reunited with
their families, and when Burma is reunited with the family of freedom.

REUTERS: ANNAN CRITICIZES MYANMAR OVER SUU KYI TREATMENT
28 March, 1999 by Evelyn Leopold

UNITED NATIONS, March 28 (Reuters) - Secretary-General Kofi Annan on Sunday
sent condolences to Myanmar democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi at the death
of her husband and expressed dismay at Yangon's military rulers at their
treatment of her.

In a statement, Annan said he was grieved to learn of the death of Dr.
Michael Aris, and ``sends his heartfelt condolences of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
and her two sons at this time of irreparable loss.''

[ ... ]

``The secretary-general is dismayed that, despite efforts with the
authorities in Myanmar, the couple were not able to meet during Dr. Aris'
illness,'' Annan's statement said.

[ ... ]

The United Nations for years has attempted to talk the junta into ending
the stalemate without any success. The government has also turned a deaf
ear to international calls to end its repression of opposition parties and
free jailed students, academics and other intellectuals.

The United States has imposed sanctions on Myanmar, formerly Burma, and the
European Union has suspended aid.

[ ... ]

RADIO FREE BURMA: THE DEATH OF MICHAEL ARIS

First Burmese Language Internet Radio in the World

"Death of Dr. Aris" in 28 March program

News and Information on this program can be freely distributed for the
Burmese Democratic movement.

Dear friends,

The 28 March 99 program of Radio Free Burma is available now.  You can
listen either Radio Free Burma page http://www.fast.net.au/rfb   or
http://users.imagiware.com/wtongue/ of the Radio Free Burma originally on
2NBC in Australia, now available for real-time playback via Real Audio.
This is a Burmese-language program featuring Burma news, U Thaung's
article, views and music of Burma presented by Burmese now living in
Australia. It will be appreciated any suggestion about program. Please
sends E-mail to (rfb@xxxxxxxxxxx )  Many thanks to Mr Wrightson Tongue,
BurmaNet and all listeners.

Radio Free Burma www.fast.net.au/rfb/

VARIOUS: CONDOLENCE MESSAGES (EXCERPTS)
27-28 March, 1999

AUSTRALIA BURMA COUNCIL
Subject: Farewell to Dr. Michael Aris

Dr Michael Aris was a very private man.  While giving unqualified emotional
support to his wife he did not interfere in her selfless campaign to bring
democracy and human rights to Burma.  He did not seek to have her end her
battle and go back to him and her comfortable life style in the UK.

The relationship between Dr Michael Aris and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was said
to be one of great commitment and devotion.  Dr Aris often said that while
the rest of the world loved Daw Suu, no one loved her more than he did and
he loved no one more than her.  In a confidential interview with a former
diplomat to Rangoon, it was said that, "Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is as strong
as ever, but very, very sad".

The Australia Burma Council asks the international community to respect the
privacy of the Aris family and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi at this devastating
time.  We wish to solute the selfless man, Dr Michael Aris, send love and
support to the entire family particularly his sons, Alexander and Kim and
have it known that we reaffirm our commitment to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and
the NLD.

---------------------

ABSDF
Subject: CONDOLENCES ON THE PASSING OF DR. MICHAEL ARIS

The All Burma Students' Democratic Front (ABSDF) is extremely saddened to
hear the passing of Dr. Michael Aris, beloved husband of Burmese
pro-democracy leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, on March 27, 1999.

Dr. Aris fully understood the situation of Burma and was sympathetic to the
suffering of the Burmese people. From the time Daw Aung San Suu Kyi assumed
political responsibilities in Burma, Dr. Aris took the helm for the family
as a true and dutiful father and husband. We understand that although he
was the husband of a national leader, he never interfered in Burmese politics.

We recognize all the qualities of a true Buddhist in Dr. Aris; love,
tolerance, sacrifice, understanding and wisdom.  Our thoughts are with the
bereaved family.

May Dr. Michael Aris enjoy heavenly peace.

---------------------

BURMA IMAGE
Subject: statement of condolences for Dr. Michael Aris

It is with great sadness and deepest sympathy that we learn about Dr.
Michael Aris's demise.

During the past three months, since his cancer had spread to his lungs and
spine, he knew that he was not going to live long and he had been
constantly pleading with Burma's military dictators to fulfill his last
wish and to grant him a visa to visit his wife for the last time before his
death. Just before his condition worsened, Dr. Aris had written to Suu Kyi
telling her not to come out to England to look after him but to attend to
the needs of her people.  This clearly shows that Dr. Aris is a person who
is benevolent, generous, kindhearted who puts the needs of others before
his own.

Even convicts and people on death row in the State prisons get their last
wish granted. Why shouldn't a gentle and good-hearted person like Dr. Aris
who encouraged his wife's wishes to free the people of Burma from under the
tyranny of military dictators and bring Democracy to them be rejected his
last wish.

We strongly condemn the military dictators of Burma for this cruel and
uncompassionate act of irresponsibility towards one of our own citizens and
her husband. It distinctly shows that the military dictators of Burma are
insensitive to the needs of human beings.

We genuinely acknowledge Dr. Michael Aris as a man of admirable character
and we promise always to remember him with fondest respect for being such a
loving friend to the people of Burma.

---------------------

FREE BURMA COALITION
Subject: FBC Press Release 3/27/1999: Dr. Michael Aris died of prostate cancer

The Free Burma Coalition expresses support for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her
family

The Free Burma Coalition is outraged by the lack of humanitarian spirit and
compassion on the part of the Burmese generals.

"We were hoping that the generals would at least show some sign of humanity
and would allow a dying man a final visit with his wife," Zar Ni, Burmese
exile and founder of the Free Burma Coalition.

The FBC expresses its profound condolences and heart-felt support for Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi and the two sons, Kim and Alexander Aris. Dr. Aris will be
remembered as a fine individual who placed freedom and the well-being of 48
million Burmese people before his family.

The Free Burma Coalition urges all peace-loving citizens and governments
around the world to recognize the inhumane nature of Burma's military
regime and take concrete actions to help bring about democratic change in
that country.  For so long as corrupt, inhumane, and short-sighted generals
remain in power, there will be more tragic deaths and sufferings amongst
millions of Burmese families.

---------------------

LAHU DEMOCRATIC FRONT

Subject: Condolences

The Lahu Democratic Front (LDF) was profoundly shocked to hear the news
that Dr. Michael Aris, beloved husband of our esteemed public leader Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi, has passed away in hospital in England with advanced
prostate cancer.

The brutal military clique in Rangoon had mercilessly barred Dr. Aris from
visiting his wife just to say "good-bye" before his death, despite repeated
requests for a visa.  Requests by several Asian and Western governments to
permit Dr. Aris to visit her had also been rejected by the junta, which
simply said in an official statement that Burma has limited medical
facilities, and suggested that Daw Suu travel to England to see her ailing
husband.  People all over the world know very well that there is a shortage
of medicines and medical equipment in Burma today, and Dr. Aris did not
intend to go there for medical treatment either.  Now, Dr. Aris is dead and
it is absolutely the responsibility of the junta. It deserves the
condemnation of the Burmese people.

The Lahu Democratic Front sorrowfully sends condolences to Daw Suu and her
family.  May the Good Lord and Merciful God comfort them, help them and be
with them throughout their whole life.

---------------------

NLD (LA) - WESTERN REGION

Subject:      Condolence by NLD/LA (WR)

The National League for Democracy/Liberated Area/Western Region is deeply
grieved for Dr. Michael Aris's death on 27th March 1999.

The NLD/LA (WR) honors Daw Aung San Suu Kyi for her wise decision not
leaving her motherland and extraordinary sacrifice for her people. We share
heartache with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, her two sons and Dr. Michael Aris's
family.

The NLD/LA (WR) members pay tribute to Dr. Michael Aris as a person of
patience, perseverance and perception. The people of Burma and we will
never forget him.

May you be in peace forever!

---------------------

WOMEN RIGHTS AND WELFARE ASSOCIATION OF BURMA
Subject: Statement of Women Rights & Welfare Association of Burma (WRWAB)

We are with the family of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

We strongly and unequivocally condemn the ruling Burmese military regime,
which had stalled on a visa application of Mr. Aris who wanted to pay a
farewell visit to his wife in Burma. The military junta had also denied his
previous requests for visa since after January 1996. Their action to have
had denied visa to ailing Mr. Aris was inhuman.

We wish and pray Mr. Michael Aris, who had always given understanding and
support to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi in her lead to the democratic movement in
Burma, to rest in peace. And we send our best wishes for the well being of
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Alexander and Kim.