Reuters-Myanmar govt sends condolen

Subject: Reuters-Myanmar govt sends condolence note to Suu Kyi

Myanmar govt sends condolence note to Suu Kyi
02:05 a.m. Mar 30, 1999 Eastern
BANGKOK, March 30 (Reuters) - Myanmar's military government sent opposition
leader Aung San Suu Kyi a note of condolence offering to help with Buddhist
rites for her deceased husband, a confidant said on Tuesday.

Tin Oo, vice president of Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy (NLD),
said the note signalled the military was somewhat sincere in its overture.

Suu Kyi has refused an offer from the ruling State Peace and Development
Council (SPDC) to go to England for the funeral of her British husband,
Oxford academic Michael Aris, fearing she might not be allowed to return to
Myanmar.

Instead she has planned a major Buddhist ceremony in Yangon on Friday -- the
seventh day after her husband's death.

``The SPDC has sent a condolence note to her and said they are going to lend
her assistance for rites on the seventh day of her husband's death,'' Tin Oo
said by telephone from Yangon.

``The condolence note was signed by Secretary One (of the SPDC) Lieutenant
General Khin Nyunt. To send this note is seemlingly a little bit sincere,''
he said.

On Monday, the NLD critised the SPDC for placing restrictions on Suu Kyi if
she chose to go to England for Aris's funeral.

Before his death, Aris applied for a visa to visit Suu Kyi in Myanmar one
last time, but the government did not issue it.

The government instead said Suu Kyi could go to England and then return to
Myanmar -- but on condition she not politicise the visit. She refused the
offer.

Meanwhile, more diplomats and supporters visited Suu Kyi's lakeside home on
University Avenue in Yangon to express condolences as she remained in
mourning.

Her residence was due to be the venue for the seventh day Buddhist rites for
Aris.

``We have invited 53 Buddhist monks to perform the rites and pray for him
(Aris). I think a large number of people will come and share the merit
making with us,'' Tin Oo said.

He said political confrontation between the SPDC and the NLD was expected to
be ease somewhat during her time of mourning.

``We will not take advantage or exploit the ceremony. During the mourning
period we do not discuss political matters,'' he added.