ALBRIGHT REMARKS ON THE DEATH OF M

Subject: ALBRIGHT  REMARKS ON THE DEATH OF MICHAEL ARIS

TEXT: ALBRIGHT 3/27 REMARKS ON THE DEATH OF MICHAEL ARIS

(Albright calls government's denial of visa "callous")  (350)

Washington -- Secretary of State Madeleine Albright severely
criticized Burma's military government for refusing to grant a visa on
humanitarian grounds to Michael Aris, the husband of Burmese democracy
activist Aung San Suu Kyi.

"The authorities' callous disregard of the most basic humanitarian
principles is emblematic of the continuing repression in Burma, and
brings dishonor upon the authorities. The honor exemplified by Dr.
Aris in his life stands out all the more dramatically," she said in
March 27 remarks.

Following is the text of Albright's remarks from the Department of
State:

(begin text)

Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright Statement
on the Death of Dr. Michael Aris
Washington, DC
March 27, 1999
As released by the Office of the Spokesman
U.S. Department of State

I wish to express my heartfelt condolences to the family of Dr.
Michael Aris, who passed away today in England. Dr. Aris was the
husband of Nobel Peace Prize Winner Aung San Suu Kyi. A noted scholar,
Dr. Aris had sacrificed the companionship of his beloved wife for 10
years so that she could stand with her people in Burma to struggle for
human rights and democracy. Her two courageous sons, Alexander and
Kim, have also been separated from their mother and have our special
sympathy.

Dr. Aris' fatal illness became known over two months ago. Since then,
he tried without success to obtain permission from Burma's military
government to visit his wife one last time. We and countless others in
the international community had made direct appeals to those
authorities to grant his request on humanitarian grounds. We deeply
regret that the Burmese authorities disregarded those international
appeals. The authorities' callous disregard of the most basic
humanitarian principles is emblematic of the continuing repression in
Burma, and brings dishonor upon the authorities. The honor exemplified
by Dr. Aris in his life stands out all the more dramatically.

(end text)