US SENATOR MITCH McCONNELL AWARDED

Subject: US SENATOR MITCH McCONNELL AWARDED "FREEDOM AWARD BY THE NCUB

US. SENATOR MITCH McCONNELL AWARDED "FREEDOM AWARD"
BY THE NATIONAL COUNCIL OF THE UNION OF BURMA (NCUB)

U Tin Maumg Win
Remarks at the presentation of the National Council of the Union of Burma
" Freedom Award " to U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell
April 1, 1999
Jakarta, Indonesia

Greetings -- Senator McConnell, our good friend Robin, and all the
distinguished guests here today.

Today is a special day. My name is Tin Maung Win and I am a member of the
presidium of the National Council of the Union of Burma, an organization of
ethnic groups and democracy organizations struggling to restore freedom and
bring peace to Burma.

First, I would like to introduce my colleagues who are here with me. David
Takapaw is one of the senior members of the Karen National Union and my
good friend George Min Swe, Senior Editor of the New Era Journal, one and
only independent democratic underground newspaper, recipient of the grant
from the U.S. Congress through National Endowment for democracy.

It was in August of 1988 when the Burmese people peacefully took to the
streets to demand the military junta step aside and return the democracy
that was stolen from them by the generals in a coup.

I remember this time quite well, it was a time of hope, a time of joy, a
time when we believed that our country could finally be free. Sadly and
tragically, the military generals that rule our country had other ideas.
How they turned special units against the people is well known and now wept
tears of joy. For them, and all Burmese, it was a testimony that our
struggle had not been forgotten. The economic sanctions have served the
regime of millions of dollars that would have been used to pay for the
intelligence apparatus, the secret police, military, arms and ammunition
that are used to suppress the people and keep the regime in power. By
denying the generals access to foreign investment from the U.S. you have
given democracy movement a chance to gain strength.

Senator McConnell, since 1995, you, on behalf of the American people, have
provided millions of dollars in the foreign operations bill for political
and humanitarian activities.

These funds, which we call "McConnell Money" is responsible for saving
hundreds, if not thousands of lives. It also allows activists in Burma to
promote non-violent civil disobedience, which we Burmese call "political
defiance".

Senator McConnell, many in our country call this time in our history "The
Darkness". The rule of the military junta has come to symbolize the
destructive forces of evil.

As we struggle through this period, there is no doubt that we will succeed
in freeing ourselves and establish a country that is based on freedom of
speech, respect for individual rights, and the rule of law. This is not a
matter of if - it is only a matter of when. The fact that this ceremony is
being held in Indonesia is testimony to the fact that history is condemning
dictatorships and totalitarian rulers to the dustbin of the world's past.
We Burmese have a long history of friendship with the United States.

During World War Two, as your father was fighting tyranny on the
battlefields of Europe, his American comrades fought side-by-side with
Burmese and Karen units against Japanese fascism. Today, you join us in
supporting people such as Aung San Suu Kyi and Min Ko Naing. Daw Su is the
acknowledged leader of our movement, and Min Ko Naing is the student leader
sentenced to 20 years in solitary confinement for his political activity.
The junta has told Min Ko Naing he will be released the moment he signs a
statement renouncing his political activity. As he passes his tenth year of
imprisonment, he continued to reject this offer. His act of political
defiance inspired us all. Daw Su and Min Ko Naing embody the spirit of the
non-violent movement, that is our most powerful weapon in our struggle for
freedom.

Senator McConnell, I stand here not ad an individual member of the NCUB. I
stand here to give voice to the 45 million Burmese people and, on their
behalf, say "Thank You" for holding the torch of freedom and democracy that
serves to light our way as we struggle to emerge from the darkness of our
oppressed land.

I have in my hand the Freedom Award. This is the highest award, the
National Council of the Union of Burma can bestow to a friend of our
movement, and with the thanks of a grateful country and with great honor, I
present it to you.

Thank you.