sending information about burma's n

Subject: sending information about burma's night

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:39:12 PST

Dear friends of the NLD (LA),
                                        As many of you may be aware, the
Burma support group is presently
petitioning city councils around Australia asking them to adopt
selective purchasing laws towards companies dealing with Burma.  This
involves the city councils agreeing to not employ those companies which
are holding contracts with the State Peace and Development Council
(SPDC).  In adopting such a policy we hope to demonstrate to both the
State and Federal government that there is sufficient local support for
them to take a tougher stance towards the ruling junta.  Similar
campaigns have been tried successfully in Marrickville and Leichhardt
(NSW) city councils, Moreland (Vic), The Town of Vincent (WA) as well as

many cities in the United States.

        The Burma support group is currently asking the City of Greater
Dandenong in Victoria to follow suit and we will be holding an
information night on the 27th of March, 1999 at 7:30pm at the Praxis
Centre on Villa Rd., Springvale (old Migrant Resource Centre).  All are
welcome who can come; there will be traditional Burmese dancing, videos,

personal stories from recent arrivals updating the current situation in
Myanmar as well as traditional Burmese food.

        At present the military government is kept in power by foreign
investment.  Revenue derived from companies doing business with the
military is spent largely on arms or is 'gambled' away in government
corruption,  little is spent on public health or welfare programmes.
Tourism has increased hardship for the Burmese people, hotels being
built to accommodate the increase in tourist numbers are using slave
labour, which has in turn increased the amount of refugees on the
Thai-Burma border. In order to create the space for new hotels whole
suburbs or even whole villages have been destroyed to make way for them.

        Trade sanctions weakens the Burmese military and weakens their
capability to carry out such brutal policies.  As was done in South
Africa, the NLD hope that foreign governments would adopt a similar

stance towards the military dictatorship.  Archbishop Desmond Tutu said:

        "International pressure can change the situation in Burma.
Tough

sanctions, not 'constructive engagement', finally brought about the
release of Nelson Mandela and the dawn of a new era in my country.  This

is the language that must be spoken with tyrants - for sadly this is the

only language they understand".  Desmond Tutu, 1993.

Just as it happened in South Africa, we hope that international pressure

will bring about the release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the countless
numbers of political prisoners being held in Myanmar.  We hope for a
dawning of a new era in a free and democratic Burma.

Thank you all for your support,

if you have any further information, Please, contact Kyaw Soe Moe, on
phone: 61-3-9546-1115, email: ksmoe1@xxxxxxxxxxxx