ASEAN warns EU over Burma trade

Tuesday 13 April, 1999 (6:08pm AEST)
ABC

  ASEAN has warned the European Union and other nations which refuse to deal
with Burma because of its human rights record that the body regards this as
unacceptable discrimination.

The ASEAN secretary-general, Rodolfo Severino, says the organisation places
a high premium on south-east Asian solidarity and will resist any
discrimination against its members.

Some nations, including those in the European Union, impose sanctions on
Burma, or Myanmar, over its human rights record.

Ambassador Severino does not accept this.

"We do not accept this kind of discrimination," he said.

"Whatever problems Myanmar has will have to be dealt with on their own terms
and not involve them in relations with ASEAN as a whole.

"We will just have to deal with these countries the best way that we can. It
takes two to have a relationship.

"We are talking here basically of the European Union but we know that not
all countries in the EU take this policy."

----