Reuters-Asia-EU meeting set for May

Subject: Reuters-Asia-EU meeting set for May 24-26-Thailand

Asia-EU meeting set for May 24-26-Thailand
09:06 a.m. Apr 16, 1999 Eastern
BANGKOK, April 16 (Reuters) - A junior-level European Union-Association of
Southeast Asian Nations meeting, shelved in January because of Myanmar's
human rights record, will be held from May 24 to 26, Thailand's foreign
minister said on Friday.

``The EU and ASEAN recognised the fact that the relations must go on,''
Surin Pitsuwan told a news conference.

``There are differences, there are reservations and reluctance on both sides
on some of the issues...but I think the last few months we have been able to
narrow down the differences and overall relations between us have taken the
priority over the differences.''

The meeting in Bangkok of the Joint Cooperation Committee would be the first
between the two blocs since 1996. It was supposed to have been held in
January, but was scrapped over EU objections to Myanmar participating
because of that country's human rights record.

Surin, who led ASEAN efforts to revive the meeting, has said Myanmar will
take part ``passively.''

A more senior meeting set for late last month of foreign ministers from the
EU and ASEAN was scrapped because the EU would not allow Myanmar to attend.