CHR/BURMA: NGO STATEMENTS (Item 13)

--=====================_43014515==_.ALT

Statements by:

Rural Reconstruction Nepal (Ms Charm Tong)
Aliran Kesedaran Negara  (Ms Deborah Stothard)

************
RURAL RECONSTRUCTION NEPAL

April 15, 1999
55th  Session of the UNHRC
Geneva, Switzerland
Oral Intervention on item 13 (Burma)
Delivered by Ms. Charm Tong

Madam Chairperson,

Recently, I read the whole Convention on the Rights of the Child. I did not
know that we had so many rights because children in Burma could NOT=
 experience
these rights. This is very strange because I heard the Burmese government
already ratified this Convention.

Even though we have some schools, many children could not go to school=
 because
the unofficial fees are too high. This is very sad. The military regime said
school is free but actually this is not true. This is why 39% of children=
 have
NEVER gone to school and only 25% of children at school are able to complete
the first five years. [UNICEF, Children and Women in Myanmar: A Situation
Analysis, 1995].

In the rural areas, more than 100,000 children and their families have been
forced by the military to move away from their land to towns near military
bases [There are between 510,000 to 610,000 people displaced in
eastern/southeastern/northeastern Burma as a result of military attack,=
 forced
relocation and forced labour. The Special Rapporteur notes =93=85local and
international NGOs estimate the number in Karen State to b between 100,000=
 and
200,000. Unofficial estimates place the current number in Shan State to be=
 over
300,000 and in Karenni State, 70,000. Finally there are reportedly about=
 40,000
persons displaced in Mon State=94]. Because of this the children don=92t=
 have any
school to study. In fact, many children become forced labour, too [ILO=
 Inquiry
Mission into Forced Labour in Myanmar (Burma), 1998]

The regime closes schools very often because they are scared the young=
 students
will protest against how we all have to suffer. Even the ethnic children are
not allowed [in the state schools] to learn their own language. So our=
 freedom
of expression does not exist - we all have to shut up and do what the=
 military
regime says.

We also face the problem of not enough food. UNICEF said that 37% suffer=
 from
protein-energy malnutrition and 11% are severely malnourished. I think more=
 of
us have less food to eat because the forced relocations mean that our=
 families
cannot grow food for us. It is so unfair, because the government put all the
money for the army and army families.

Many of my young brothers in Burma also have the problem of being forced to
become child soldiers. This is so serious and dangerous against our=
 generation.

But as a girl, I am very, very unhappy about the rape of children.=20

For example, on 14 August last year, Aye Oot, a 14-year-old student was=
 raped
by Corporal Naing Htay of [the SPDC=92s] Light Infantry Brigade 324 at Murng=
 Yaen
village [Nam-Tu Township]. Her parents and some village leaders complained
about this to Major Ne Win of the same brigade but he just scolded them.=
 After
a lot of pressure, he organised a line up of his men. Aye Oot identified the
rapist but no action was taken against him.

Madam Chairperson,

I am so lucky to be able to talk to you today but this is because I left=
 Burma
a few years ago and studied outside. I still visit my brothers and sisters=
 from
Burma in the refugee camps and feel so sad that our future is not bright.=
 This
is because the military are still attacking our homes and forcing us to move
from place to place.

In the central areas of Burma, there are very many children who have to=
 suffer
like us because their parents are not soldiers. I am very worried about the
future of my country.

I am worried that our generation has become used to war and insecurity. We
don=92t trust the government, or the military, or the police or the law=
 courts.
They never help us, they just say good things but never do it.

Some friends told me don=92t worry, you can change the government when you=
 grow
up. But unfortunately, the military regime is not democratic. Even when our
parents voted in 1990, the regime still did not recognise the results.

I really don=92t know what to do but I thought I should tell the Human=
 Rights
Commission, so that you can help us.

Thank you.

(Attached: Briefing note on Situation of Children in Burma)

*************************

Aliran Kesedaran Negara
Oral Intervention on Item 13 (Focus on Burma & Malaysia)
Delivered by Ms Deborah Stothard

Madam Chairperson,

I wish to bring to your attention some of the impacts suffered by children
living under conditions of repression and military conflict. [Even if a=
 child
is able to physically survive such conditions,] the psychological and=
 emotional
consequences of growing up in a state of fear and danger cannot be
underestimated.

On the situation of Burma, the Special Rapporteur has noted the serious
psychological problems facing women and children affected by [the=
 circumstances
attending incidents of] forced relocation and military attack. Those=
 children
who survive military atrocities still have to cope with the effects of
witnessing [people including] parents, relatives and friends being tortured=
 or
killed. There have been cases where traumatized boys as young as 12 attempt=
join rebel armies so that they can avenge such atrocities. The tragedy is=
 that
this trend is mirrored in central Burma where boys are forced and/or misled=
join the army for other reasons.

The majority of refugees fleeing Burma to neighboring countries such as
Thailand, China, India and Bangladesh are women and children, and a=
 significant
number of those children fleeing the conflict are orphans or unaccompanied
minors. There is a crying need for these children=92s rights to be=
 recognized and
protected.

Madam Chairperson,

The Burmese military regime continues to violate children=92s rights under
international law and the Convention of the Rights of the Child, which it is=
party to. These violations include   =20
=B7       military attack in ethnic nationality areas=20
=B7       rape and killings=20
=B7       use of children as army porters and forced labor=20
=B7       forced relocation of thousands of communities=20
=B7       recruitment of child soldiers and =20
=B7       arrests of children for expressing their views.=20
The regime=92s severe economic mismanagement which has seen a diversion of=
 funds
from health and education towards military spending has resulted in chronic
problems for children and their families. Burma is in the grip of a health
crisis exacerbated by the regime=92s rule of fear. UN statistics indicate=
 that
the regime spends 222% funds on military spending than it does on health and
education combined. I refer to the attached briefing note on this matter for
your reference.

In central Burma where military aggression is less visible, children still
remain in a state of fear and uncertainty. Both adults and children are
subjected to a range of repressive laws and regulations. It is considered
normal for the military intelligence to raid homes in the middle of the=
 night
for no apparent reason and for people to be subjected to arbitrary=
 detention.
Children are being brought up to expect violence and repression from the=
 very
institutions which are supposed to protect and support them. I fear the deep
and long-term effects this ultimate betrayal will have on the next=
 generation
of adults.

I also wish to draw your attention to a similar pattern emerging in=
 Malaysia.
The recent surge in arbitrary detentions and police brutality can only have
negative effects on children. I dread to think what messages the authorities
are conveying to children and young people who witnessed the extreme=
 brutality
inflicted by the Kuala Lumpur police yesterday on peaceful protesters=
 including
human rights defender Mr Tian Chua. This type of incident is becoming a=
 normal
occurrence.

My concern and sympathy also goes out to the children of political=
 prisoners,
including Anwar Ibrahim, who have to endure harassment, uncertainty and
separation from their parents. It is extremely difficult to encourage
children=92s belief in the rule of law when legal institutions conspire to=
 deny
them justice.

Madam Chairperson,

No government in the world would admit to hating children yet it is=
 deplorable
to witness the continued violations of children by the authorities. I urge=
 all
member states of the United Nations to commit themselves seriously to=
 working
with all key organizations concerned to ensure that we bridge this severe=
 gap
between what is said and what is done.

Thank you.

(Attached briefing note on Health & Education in Burma)

Internet ProLink PC User

--=====================_43014515==_.ALT

Rural Reconstruction Nepal (Ms Charm Tong)<br>
Aliran Kesedaran Negara&nbsp; (Ms Deborah Stothard)<br>
************<br>
RURAL RECONSTRUCTION NEPAL<br>
April 15, 1999<br>
55th&nbsp; Session of the UNHRC<br>
Geneva, Switzerland<br>
Oral Intervention on item 13 (Burma)<br>
Delivered by Ms. Charm Tong<br>
Recently, I read the whole Convention on the Rights of the Child. I did
not know that we had so many rights because children in Burma could NOT
experience these rights. This is very strange because I heard the Burmese
government already ratified this Convention.<br>
Even though we have some schools, many children could not go to school
because the unofficial fees are too high. This is very sad. The military
regime said school is free but actually this is not true. This is why 39%
of children have NEVER gone to school and only 25% of children at school
are able to complete the first five years. [UNICEF, Children and Women in
Myanmar: A Situation Analysis, 1995].<br>
In the rural areas, more than 100,000 children and their families have
been forced by the military to move away from their land to towns near
military bases [There are between 510,000 to 610,000 people displaced in
eastern/southeastern/northeastern Burma as a result of military attack,
forced relocation and forced labour. The Special Rapporteur notes =93=85loca=
and international NGOs estimate the number in Karen State to b between
100,000 and 200,000. Unofficial estimates place the current number in
Shan State to be over 300,000 and in Karenni State, 70,000. Finally there
are reportedly about 40,000 persons displaced in Mon State=94]. Because of
this the children don=92t have any school to study. In fact, many children
become forced labour, too [ILO Inquiry Mission into Forced Labour in
Myanmar (Burma), 1998]<br>
The regime closes schools very often because they are scared the young
students will protest against how we all have to suffer. Even the ethnic
children are not allowed [in the state schools] to learn their own
language. So our freedom of expression does not exist - we all have to
shut up and do what the military regime says.<br>
We also face the problem of not enough food. UNICEF said that 37% suffer
from protein-energy malnutrition and 11% are severely malnourished. I
think more of us have less food to eat because the forced relocations
mean that our families cannot grow food for us. It is so unfair, because
the government put all the money for the army and army families.<br>
Many of my young brothers in Burma also have the problem of being forced
to become child soldiers. This is so serious and dangerous against our
generation.<br>
But as a girl, I am very, very unhappy about the rape of children. <br>
For example, on 14 August last year, Aye Oot, a 14-year-old student was
raped by Corporal Naing Htay of [the SPDC=92s] Light Infantry Brigade 324
at Murng Yaen village [Nam-Tu Township]. Her parents and some village
leaders complained about this to Major Ne Win of the same brigade but he
just scolded them. After a lot of pressure, he organised a line up of his
men. Aye Oot identified the rapist but no action was taken against
him.<br>
Madam Chairperson,<br>
I am so lucky to be able to talk to you today but this is because I left
Burma a few years ago and studied outside. I still visit my brothers and
sisters from Burma in the refugee camps and feel so sad that our future
is not bright. This is because the military are still attacking our homes
and forcing us to move from place to place.<br>
In the central areas of Burma, there are very many children who have to
suffer like us because their parents are not soldiers. I am very worried
about the future of my country.<br>
I am worried that our generation has become used to war and insecurity.
We don=92t trust the government, or the military, or the police or the law
courts. They never help us, they just say good things but never do
it.<br>
Some friends told me don=92t worry, you can change the government when you
grow up. But unfortunately, the military regime is not democratic. Even
when our parents voted in 1990, the regime still did not recognise the
results.<br>
I really don=92t know what to do but I thought I should tell the Human
Rights Commission, so that you can help us.<br>
Thank you.<br>
(Attached: Briefing note on Situation of Children in Burma)<br>
<b>*************************<br>
Oral Intervention on Item 13 (Focus on Burma &amp; Malaysia)<br>
Madam Chairperson,<br>
I wish to bring to your attention some of the impacts suffered by
children living under conditions of repression and military conflict.
[Even if a child is able to physically survive such conditions,] the
psychological and emotional consequences of growing up in a state of fear
and danger cannot be underestimated.<br>
On the situation of Burma, the Special Rapporteur has noted the serious
psychological problems facing women and children affected by [the
circumstances attending incidents of] forced relocation and military
attack. Those children who survive military atrocities still have to cope
with the effects of witnessing [people including] parents, relatives and
friends being tortured or killed. There have been cases where traumatized
boys as young as 12 attempt to join rebel armies so that they can avenge
such atrocities. The tragedy is that this trend is mirrored in central
Burma where boys are forced and/or misled to join the army for other
reasons.<br>
The majority of refugees fleeing Burma to neighboring countries such as
Thailand, China, India and Bangladesh are women and children, and a
significant number of those children fleeing the conflict are orphans or
unaccompanied minors. There is a crying need for these children=92s rights
to be recognized and protected.<br>
Madam Chairperson,<br>
The Burmese military regime continues to violate children=92s rights under
international law and the Convention of the Rights of the Child, which it
is a party to. These violations include <font face=3D"Symbol">
<dl>
<dl>
<dd>=B7<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab></font>milit=
ary
attack in ethnic nationality areas<font face=3D"Symbol">=20
<dd>=B7<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab></font>rape
and killings<font face=3D"Symbol">=20
<dd>=B7<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab></font>use
of children as army porters and forced labor<font face=3D"Symbol">=20
<dd>=B7<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab></font>force=
relocation of thousands of communities<font face=3D"Symbol">=20
<dd>=B7<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab></font>recru=
itment
of child soldiers and <font face=3D"Symbol">
<dd>=B7<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab></font>arres=
ts
of children for expressing their views.
</dl>
</dl>The regime=92s severe economic mismanagement which has seen a
diversion of funds from health and education towards military spending
has resulted in chronic problems for children and their families. Burma
is in the grip of a health crisis exacerbated by the regime=92s rule of
fear. UN statistics indicate that the regime spends 222% funds on
military spending than it does on health and education combined. I refer
to the attached briefing note on this matter for your reference.<br>
In central Burma where military aggression is less visible, children
still remain in a state of fear and uncertainty. Both adults and children
are subjected to a range of repressive laws and regulations. It is
considered normal for the military intelligence to raid homes in the
middle of the night for no apparent reason and for people to be subjected
to arbitrary detention. Children are being brought up to expect violence
and repression from the very institutions which are supposed to protect
and support them. I fear the deep and long-term effects this ultimate
betrayal will have on the next generation of adults.<br>
I also wish to draw your attention to a similar pattern emerging in
Malaysia. The recent surge in arbitrary detentions and police brutality
can only have negative effects on children. I dread to think what
messages the authorities are conveying to children and young people who
witnessed the extreme brutality inflicted by the Kuala Lumpur police
yesterday on peaceful protesters including human rights defender Mr Tian
Chua. This type of incident is becoming a normal occurrence.<br>
My concern and sympathy also goes out to the children of political
prisoners, including Anwar Ibrahim, who have to endure harassment,
uncertainty and separation from their parents. It is extremely difficult
to encourage children=92s belief in the rule of law when legal institutions
conspire to deny them justice.<br>
Madam Chairperson,<br>
No government in the world would admit to hating children yet it is
deplorable to witness the continued violations of children by the
authorities. I urge all member states of the United Nations to commit
themselves seriously to working with all key organizations concerned to
ensure that we bridge this severe gap between what is said and what is
done.<br>
Thank you.<br>
(Attached briefing note on Health &amp; Education in Burma)<br>