Yawdserk Denies Involvement in the

Subject: Yawdserk Denies Involvement in the Drug Trade:

Yawdserk Denies Involvement in the Drug Trade:

Yawdserk, Commander of the Shan States Army, has turned down allegations made
by the United States Government of being involved in "the heroin and/or
amphetamine trade".

The following is an official statement released by the SSA's "Public Relations
Department". There is no date mentioned, but S.H.A.N. believes its is quite
recent.

N.B. The International Narcotic Control Strategy Report (1998), released by
the
Bureau for International and Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs, US
Department of State in February 1999 reads: "Among the top leaders of those
ethic groups believed by the USG to be involved in the heroin and/or
amphetamine trade are: Sai Lin (Lin Ming Xian) of the Eastern Shan State Army
(ESSA) Yang Maoliang, Peng Jiasheng and Liu Guoshi of the MNDAA; Pao Yuqiang,
Li Zuru, and Wei Xuekang of the United Wa State Army; Mahtu Naw of the=A0
Kachin Defense Army (KDA); Mong Sa La of the Mong Ko Defense Army (MDA); and
Yawd Serk of the Shan United Revolutionary Army (SURA), which was formerly
part
of drug lord Chang Qifu's Mong Tai Army.

/// END \\\
Shan Herald Agency for News.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------=

Background to Colonel Yawd Serk's letter to the US authorities.

In the 1997 and 1998 US Government International Narcotics Control Strategy
Reports, Colonel Yawd Serk of the reorganized Shan States Army (SSA) has been
accused of being "Among the top leaders of those ethnic group believed by the
USG to be involved in the heroin and/or amphetamine trade" (p.5 of the
report).
There are no State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) officials mentioned as
being involved in the heroin and/or amphetamine trade.

According to Colonel Yawd Serk, he has invited foreign government and drug
control agency officials to talk to him about the accusation and the
situation.
However none have so far met with him. He would like the US government and
other governments to explain why he is on this list and to talk to his
representatives about the situation in the Shan States directly.

He also claims that he has destroyed 9 heroin and amphetamines refineries in
his area and has expelled another 2 heroin and amphetamine refineries from his
area of control. Two of these burnings have been reported and witnessed by
international press since November last year.

His letter reads as follows:

A Statement to the U.S. Government and All Countries
Re: International Narcotics Control Strategy Report, 1998

1. In the 1998 International Narcotics Control Strategy Report, the USG lists
the top leaders of ethnic groups it believes to be involved in the heroin
and/or amphetamine trade I would like to ask why my name was included on this
list. Based upon what evidence is my name included? Why do you put names of
peoples such as myself who are not involved in the drug trade but who are true
patriots on the list? Why aren't the names of the king drug traffickers
like Lo
Hsing Han and Khun Sa, who are controlled by the SPDC, included on the list? I
believe that only the SPDC could be responsible for putting my name on the
list.

2. I am patriotic and I have been in the army since I was 17 years old. I
joined the army and served under Sao Korn Zerng, who established the Shan
United Revolutionary Army (SURA) in order to unify the Shan people. When Sao
Korn Zerng and Khun Sa joined forces, I was just 27 years old. since I was in
the army, I never knew about drug trafficking until Khun Sa surrendered to the
SPDC in 1995. My aim in joining the army was to gain independence for my
country. My purpose is not to trade for my personal gain, and I will not
surrender to the SPDC as Khun Sa did. If I wanted to trade in drugs, I could
surrender to the SPDC and live happily in the city.
Why do have to live, suffer, and starve in the forest and go to battle? It is
because the methods Khun Sa used were not good. I have changed these methods
and principles. My fifth principle is to eliminate the drug trade. In our
struggle for an independent Shan States, the Shan States Army (SSA) does not
want to be involved in drug trafficking. That is why we have destroyed and
burned drugs and blocked the drug trade routes. Two years ago, we [{meaning} -
the three Shan armed groups, Editor] were reorganized as the SSA, but the USG
did not learn about the real situation before putting my name on the list of
leading drug traders. I am very dismayed.

3. When I formed the new army, I didn't have much money to establish a new
army, let alone trade in drugs. I do not have a house to live in, I don't have
a car to use, and I don't have money to give to my family. It is difficult to
support even myself. I am leading my forces now not because I have money, but
because the SPDC violates, rapes, and tortures the Shan people. This is why
the
Shan people have united and taken up arms. I must depend on the financial and
moral support of the Shan people. If I wanted to be involved in the drug
trade,
why would I try to eradicate it? I could contact and tax the drug dealers and
get money that way. But I don't want to do this illegal business which is
against international law.

4. I would like to invite you to come learn about the Shan people, about
myself, and how we all live, suffer, and starve. Are we really drug
traders? If
you really want the drug trade to be eradicated, please don't rely only on
other people's words. You have to come and learn where the root of the drug
trade lies and help the people who are its victims.

5. The Burmese, Kachin, Chin and Shan joined and established a Union. All the
States joined and gained independence from British in 1948. Meetings were held
to establish the new Union, and if the Shan had not been included, there could
not have been a complete Union. An agreement to establish the Union was signed
in Panglong, Shan States. After establishing the Union, the Burmese broke
their
part of the agreement and took power. Then they sent their armed troops into
every state. That is why the Burmese now use the army to control everything.
All members of the international community should listen not only to the SPDC,
but should also learn about and listen to the Shan people. Burmans and Shans
have lived apart, but we are equal, and should be treated as equals. It you
talk about the Union of Burma, you must look at the Panglong Agreement. The
Union was established in Panglong, not in Rangoon.

Colonel Yawd Serk
Commander in Chief, Shan States Army=20