INTERVIEW-Suu Kyi sees democracy wi

Subject: INTERVIEW-Suu Kyi sees democracy within 10 years

Thursday April 29, 3:02 am Eastern Time
INTERVIEW-Suu Kyi sees democracy within 10 years
By David Brunnstrom

YANGON, April 29 (Reuters) - Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who
has battled military rule for more than a decade, says she does not think it
will take another 10 years to achieve democracy.

``The way is always forward. I don't think it will be another 10,'' she told
Reuters in an interview in Yangon on Wednesday.

"But I can only say that this is my opinion. I am not a prophet, I am not an
astrologer, and it's just my opinion that it won't take another 10 years.

``I think nobody could have predicted, for example, when negotiations could
have come about between the Palestinians and the Israelis, or between the
white government and the ANC,'' she said, referring to South Africa's
African National Congress.

``It just happens and sometimes it takes longer and sometimes it doesn't
take so long and it's only in retrospect that people say they knew this was
coming...one can never tell in politics, 24 hours can be a long time, or 24
years can be nothing.''

The 1991 Nobel Peace Laureate showed no loss of resolve despite the death a
month ago of her British husband Michael Aris, from whom she had been
separated by military restriction for all of the last three years and most
of the past 10.

She said her opinion of the government's refusal to grant him a visa to see
her a final time was a private matter.

``I won't discuss that, I won't tell you how I feel.''

A colleague in her National League for Democracy (NLD) said earlier she was
angered by the military stance but remained willing to enter a dialogue.

The military has long refused dialogue with Suu Kyi, its most formidable
opponent since it seized direct power in 1988 by bloodily crushing a
pro-democracy uprising.

``I do believe that in spite all of our difficulties we will end at the
negotiating table,'' Suu Kyi said.

``We've always kept the door open for dialogue and said we are ready for
give and take, provided it means giving and taking on both sides. Because we
get the distinct impression that the authorities see the NLD giving all and
(them) taking all.''

Asked if the NLD was willing as an inducement to offer a blanket amnesty for
officers responsible for the 1988 killings, she replied:

``We can always discuss this. I can't say now what the NLD is willing to
offer and is not willing to offer because I have not been authorised by the

NLD to say anything on the matter.''

Suu Kyi, who was held under house arrest 1989 until 1995, said several
hundred members of her party were now under detention, including more than
80 members of parliament elected at the country's last democratic polls in
1990.

The NLD won that election with an overwhelming vote but the ruling generals
have never allowed it to take power.

She said the party was banned from holding public rallies and she
``doubted'' she was able to travel outside Yangon after the authorities
blocked her last attempts to do so last year leading to long and highly
publicised roadside standoffs.

She said the party remained active despite the detentions and was
concentrating on its work in the countryside.

``I think the way in which the government has persecuted the NLD has won us
a lot of public sympathy. It's swings and roundabouts and we in a sense
break even because what we lose in the active strength of our party we gain
in public support.''

The NLD was pleased by its international support, but would like to see more
backing from the Association of South East Asian Nations, of which Myanmar
is a member.

She rejected government accusations that the NLD was to blame for Myanmar's
economic malaise because of the sanctions and boycotts it has urged.

"One of the things sanctions say is that economic conditions are not right
for investment. I don't think hard-headed businessmen have stayed away from
Burma because the NLD says you should not invest.

``I think the reason they have stayed away is that they have found out that
the climate is not right for investment and that climate is created by the
authorities.''

----