No Subject Given

Australia Burma Council

Address to the
Committee for Democracy in Burma Dinner

9th Anniversary of multiparty general elections in Burma

by Amanda Zappia, NCGUB, FTUB, ABC
29th May 1999

The Hon. Justice Marcus Einfeld A. O., Senator Tierney, Reverend Bill
Crews, Mr Desmond Than Naing, Honored. Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please accept my sincere apologies for not being with you tonight.  It was
a great honor to be invited to attend this important annual event and to be
included with guest speakers all of whom are held in such high esteem. My
congratulations and appreciation go to all members of CDB for their ongoing
commitment to the people of Burma and the restoration of human rights and
democracy in the country.

I will side track for a moment and say that when I heard The Hon. Marcus
Einfeld was speaking I thought perhaps God was smiling down on me by
rendering me unfit to travel.  A breathtakingly brilliant speech by the
Hon. Justice Marcus Einfeld is an event that no body in their right mind
would want to follow.   Thank you Marcus for your continuing commitment to
our cause and a belated congratulation on being awarded the AO by the
Australian Government.  This, I would say, is an honor well earned and long
overdue.

You are all gathered here to celebrate the landslide victory of the NLD at
the 1990 general elections in Burma.  By winning 82% of the seats the NLD
proved that in all corners of Burma, in every village and township, in army
constituencies and in many non-Burman ethnic areas, people considered the
NLD to be the most appropriate political party to represent them in
government.  The NLD has been denied the right to do so and after many
years of frustration they have formed a committee to represent the
parliament until such time as the military allow a full parliament to be
convened.

Known as CRPP, Committee Representing the Peoples Parliament, the Committee
has received full recognition from the governments of Canada, Norway,
Denmark, Belgium and the EU.  Perhaps most significant is the recognition
given to CRPP by the International Parliamentary Union (IPU).    The IPU is
a body representing the majority of parliaments in the world and,
therefore, has a great deal of international authority.  Alas, many
governments of the world have failed to officially recognise the Committee,
among them, Australia.

While the Australian community must know that our Foreign Minister,
Alexander Downer, has worked tirelessly for Burma and he has embarked on
endless diplomatic missions in a bid to see political and human rights
reforms in Burma, he has not yet recognised CRPP.
Senator Tierney, we are honoured indeed to have you here tonight
representing Minister Downer and we thank you for your support and interest
in Burma.  Would you please take this message to the Minister.  "Minister,
we are most grateful for your efforts and support to the people of Burma,
however, we put to you, that if governments such as Australia do not give
direct political support to the NLD, then the massive task which is theirs,
will be so much more difficult".  "Please, heed the calls of the NLD".

Reading daily reports of murder, rape, torture and repressive brutality
initiated by the military of Burma I ask myself, "Why in God's name, does
the world not respond adequately and why are most countries in the world
not responding to the humanitarian tragedy that is Burma today"?

I watched an interview the other night with a man who had been in Kosovo
working for Care Australia and had returned home to Canberra.  Like the
world over the man was devastated and emotional about what he had
witnessed.  When asked why the humanitarian crisis had impacted so
dramatically on experienced aid workers the man responded, "Perhaps it is
because they look like your grandmother or the lady down the street".  I
was shocked and bemused.

Meaning no harm, just being honest, this white Australian man alludes to
what may well be a horrifying reality.  The illusion that the people of
Asia do not demand or desire the same human rights standards as those of
the West.  This is absolute rubbish and should be denounced at every
possible opportunity.  I am telling you nothing when I say that there is no
such thing as Asian human rights and there is no such thing as Asian
democracy.

Every child, man and woman on this earth, regardless of race, colour, creed
or geographic location has the fundamental right of self respect,
international protection from butchers, adequate health care, education and
the right to life.  They should have the right to choose their own
government and in doing so, their own destiny. It is up to countries like
Australia to take every possible action until this is the reality, not just
for Burma, but for all the world's people.

There is no point in condemning governments of the world for their failure
to act.  There is no point in shifting the blame onto others for it is the
responsibility of all of us who care about Burma and dedicate our lives to
the cause to convince our governments to act.  In a democratic society we
have the right to lobby and we have the right to be heard.  If we are not
being heard then it is our responsibility to change that.  It is up to all
of us to create a situation in Australia where the government is convinced
that our chosen options for Australian Government policy are indeed, what
the majority of Australians would see as appropriate.

On behalf of the Australia Burma Council, the National Coalition Government
of the Union of Burma and the Federation of Trades Unions, Burma I thank
CDB for organising this wonderful dinner and give total commitment that we
will not rest until the people of Burma live in peace and with full
democratic rights.

Thank you.

Working on behalf of the:
National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma (NCGUB)
Federation of Trade Unions, Burma (FTUB)
Australia Burma Council (ABC)

PO Box 2024, Queanbeyan, NSW 2620
Tel: (612) 6297 7734	Fax: (612) 6297 7773