No Subject Given

Sender: owner-burmanet-l@xxxxxxx
Subject: KHRG Karenni Report Part 2 of 2
To: "BurmaNet Editor" <strider@xxxxxxxxxxx>

       CONTINUING FEAR AND HUNGER

         Update on the Current Situation in Karenni

   An Independent Report By the Karen Human Rights Group
                May 25, 1999  /  KHRG #99-05

** PART 2 OF 2: SEE PREVIOUS POSTING FOR PART 1 OF THIS REPORT **

Note:  Some details omitted or replaced by 'XXXX' for Internet
distribution.

Basic education is also lacking in the relocation sites.  Most of the
relocation sites have no schools whatsoever.  However, there is some
limited access to education in Shadaw.  The school in Shadaw town,
which previously only went to 9th Standard [Grade 9], now offers 10th
Standard as well.  However, space at the Shadaw school is limited and for
the most part only Shadaw townspeople can send their children there.
People in the relocation site only get a chance to send their children there
if they have been at the site for some time, and even then they must pay
the full cost of schooling.  Very few of them have money to do this, so
very few of their children go to school.  Even if children are able to get
into one of the small number of schools that are available they are only
permitted to study Burmese.  Study of the Karenni (Kayah) language and
culture is forbidden.  In Daw Dta Hay there is a primary school for the
children, but if they wish to continue their education beyond that they
must take the risk of going elsewhere to find it.  Although education is
available in some areas the young people are rarely able to go because
they have to work to help their family survive.

"In the past there were only 9 grades in Shadaw School but now they
have increased it to 10 grades.  Only people who have lived in Shadaw
for a long time can keep their children in school.  People who come to
the relocation site from other villages can't keep their children in
school." - "Doh Reh" (M, 53), describing the school in Shadaw town
(Interview 4).

"I would really like to study but I think I am too old to go to school and
my mother can't afford to pay for it.  My mother told me that I couldn't
go to school because she can't send me.  I cried.  I would really like to go
to school but we have no money.  No one in my family can go to school.
I had to stop going to school to do forced labour." - "Say Mya" (F, 21),
speaking of how her family wasn't able to get an education in Nwa La Bo
relocation site (Interview 7).

"My sister, whose husband is a teacher, had to go because her husband
was teaching.  He is from Shadaw and has a field there.  He is Kayah
but is only allowed to teach Burmese.  His salary is 1,000 Kyats because
he is a middle school teacher." - "Doh Reh" (M, 53), about the
prohibition on Kayah education at  Shadaw relocation site (Interview 4).

Daw Dta Hay is not set up as a formal relocation site, but an existing
village where others have been forced to settle.  Villagers who were
relocated to Daw Dta Hay say that there was recently an Army training
exercise conducted nearby.  The Army brought in children and adults aged
14 to 30 from other parts of Karenni State to participate in the training
course, which was called 'The Column 7 Training Exercise'.  Many of the
children who came told the villagers at the site that they were summoned
by the Army and hadn't been told where they were going when they were
forced to go with the soldiers.  Some young people from Daw Dta Hay
said that they had been told they would have to join the training exercise
as well, but they never did.  After the exercise the trainees were reportedly
sent to Loikaw, presumably to join one of the 4 SPDC Battalions that are
based there. The people of Daw Dta Hay were ordered to provide large
amounts of food and other support for the Army personnel who came to
conduct the training.  Little or nothing was given to the villagers in return
for whatever food or goods they provided.  Daw Dta Hay has also seen at
least 3 of the village's young girls taken as wives against their will by
SPDC soldiers.

"The children who were to be in the training course came from town.
Those children told us, 'We didn't know that they would bring us here.
They called us and told us that we had to go for a training course but
they took us here.'  Some of the children were Karen, some were
Burmese and some were Shan.  We don't know which villages they came
from.  None of the children were Kayah.  I would guess that the children
were around 13 years old.  Each group to be trained consisted of 20
children and they trained them group after group.  When the Burmese
held the opening for the training course, they killed a cow to eat and
invited the village headmen and village criers to go eat with them.  When
they were finished the training, they sent them to Loikaw but I don't
know where they went after that." - "Mi Su" (F), talking about the Army
training course in Daw Dta Hay (Interview 6).

"We had to do forced labour in the village and on the hill.  There is an
army training camp there called Sa Gka Khun [abbreviation for
'Column 7'].  Soldiers from Battalions 43, 261, 250 and 102 came for
the training.  There were 30 to 50 soldiers from each battalion and they
came from places like Dee Maw So, Pleh Ku, Hsi Hsaing and other
places.  Their commander and head trainer is Major Kyi Hlaing and he
is from Pleh Ku.  There are many officers staying there: Major Myeh
Kyeh, Bo Win Myint and Bo Ne Win.  The captains who came are
Captains Aung Saung and Thay Htoo.  Thay Htoo is Karen and is from
Hsi Hsaing.   There are also instructors, namely: Than Naing Oo, Moe
Zaw Oo, Maw Way, Thant Oo, Kyaw Shwe, Chit Ko Ko and others.
They had a training exercise there for soldiers ages 14 to 30 that they
called 'Column 7 Training Exercise'.  There are over 100 soldiers.  The
soldiers are from many villages, such as Bay Yay, Hsi Hsaing and Dee
Maw So.  They are from all battalions including 250 and 261 and they
went there for the training exercise.  They said they would force us to do
the exercise also, but they didn't and we didn't know when they were
going to.  They forced villagers to kill pigs for them [for an opening
celebration banquet] and only gave them about one third of the cost." -
"Nyi Reh" (M, 28), giving details on the people involved in the Army
training course in Daw Dta Hay (Interview 9).

"They like to marry women who are too young.  One soldier wanted to
take a 12 year old Kayah girl named C--- as his wife.  People told them
the girl is too young and not to take her but their commander forced the
people to give her to his soldier.  The girl had to agree even though she
didn't want to.  Another girl, L---, was studying in grade 8 and had to
stop studying [to marry a soldier].  She was 14 years old.  An 18 year old
girl named H--- also had to marry a soldier.  They didn't want to marry
the soldiers but the commander said they should marry his soldiers so
they had to do it.  That was last year.  One of the girls is close to having
a child.  Their parents aren't very happy about this." - "Nyi Reh" (M,
28), speaking of women forced to marry soldiers in Daw Dta Hay
(Interview 9).

Earning money in the camps is limited to odd jobs that are rarely available
and don't pay very much.  Some of the villagers in the relocation sites look
for work outside, but as the SPDC has destroyed all the villages in the
area, paying work is very difficult to find.  Some people have been able to
work for the Army as guides, interpreters, teachers, etc.  However, they
don't get paid much and what they are paid is often reduced because of
unfair fees.  Those who have been lucky enough to get a job in the
relocation sites aren't given anything to support their families so while
they are away working the family gets nothing to eat.  The small amount
of work that can be found outside of the relocation sites virtually always
requires a pass costing from 5 to 50 Kyats, but a pass doesn't guarantee
safety for the one who holds it.

"You have to get a pass.  However, there is no village to go to because
all villages were destroyed.  Before, we didn't have to pay money for the
passes but now people have to pay 10 or 15 Kyats for a pass. ... There is
a market area 3 miles away from Shadaw which you can go to.  If you
go farther than 3 miles from Shadaw, the Burmese soldiers may shoot
and kill you or capture you to porter for them even if you have a pass." -
"Ni Reh" (M, 47), speaking of work options in Shadaw relocation site
(Interview 3).

"I was given 750 Kyats [per month] but they deducted many fees and
taxes so each month I only received 200 or 300 Kyats.  They deducted
the cost of rice, 260 [Kyats per month], donations for social occasions,
fees for sports, the price for post cards and they also said they borrowed
money from us.  They deducted the cost of 1 big tin and 6 bowls of rice
from our salaries but they never gave us that much." "Lu Mya" (F,
30), talking about the Army paying her as a teaching assistant in Shadaw
relocation site (Interview 5).

"He also hired himself out for carrying goods from the Pon River to
Shadaw.  The car only runs from Loikaw to the Pon River so merchants
need people to carry their goods [the rest of the way].  People who do day
labour to get money to buy food go and carry goods there to get money."
- "Doh Reh" (M, 53) speaking about the Husband of "Mi Su" who
periodically found work outside of Shadaw relocation site (Interview 5).

However, most of the labour to be found is non-paying forced labour.
Forced labour or Loh Ah Pay ('voluntary labour'), as the Army likes to call
what they force the villagers to do, is commonplace in and around the
camps and the villagers aren't given any money or food for their labour.
The Army forces the villagers to work on a daily or weekly basis;
generally one person from each family must go.  This forced labour
includes clearing bushes and trees from the roadsides both inside and
outside the relocation sites, cleaning Army buildings, cultivating land for
the Army, hauling water for the Army, building fences around the Army
camps, digging bunkers, road construction, portering for the Army and
other general servant work.  The villagers are also being used to construct
a road from Daw Wah Kaing to Daw Dta Hay.  There is also a road 150 to
200 kilometres long being built from Mawchi westward to Toungoo;
KHRG has previously documented forced labour occurring since early
1998 on the Toungoo end of this road [see "False Peace: Increasing
SPDC Military Repression in Toungoo District of Northern Karen
State", KHRG #99-02, 25/3/99], but has not yet been able to confirm
reports of villagers being used as forced labour near the Mawchi end of
the road.  Getting from the Mawchi area to the refugee camps in Thailand
is particularly difficult, so there are few people arriving in the camps from
that area.

"They forced us to carry stones that were to be used for making a road
between the soldiers' area near Daw Wah Kaing and a place beside Daw
Dta Hay.  They forced us to go in groups of 10 or 20.  People from all
the villages near ours had to go.  They demanded a man from each
family go but if there was no man, a woman had to go.  Children and old
people had to go also.  If the old people couldn't go, they had to pay a
fee.  We carried the stones to a vehicle that was pulling a cart and then
we had to carry the stones from the cart to the road.  The stones were
very big and heavy so I had a lot of pain in my body.  It was easier for us
to take the rocks off the cart because we could just push them off; lifting
them on to the cart was very difficult.  They didn't give us time to rest
and if we took a rest they would yell at us and beat us.  They only gave
us time to eat once a day, at noon time.  They never gave us rice, we had
to bring our own.  We were only permitted a moment to drink water
which we either brought from home or found in a stream on the way.
When we were finished having a drink we had to continue working right
away.  We had to work very hard." - "Mi Su" (F), talking about forced
labour while she was in Daw Dta Hay (Interview 6).

"Battalion 250 forced us to plant seedlings in a monastery garden on a
hill.  It could have been rubber but I don't know.  Their army camp is
just below our village, Nwa La Bo, on the plain.  One person from each
house had to go every day of every week.  They never gave us anything
to eat while we were working, we had to bring food from home.  If we
didn't have food at home, we didn't eat." - "Say Mya" (F, 21), describing
forced labour in Nwa La Bo relocation site (Interview 7).

"Yes, I had to go for Loh Ah Pay one day each week.  Usually we had to
cut bamboo and build a fence.  We also had to cut grass and bushes
beside the road.  Men, women and children starting at age 14 had to go
for Loh Ah Pay." - "Kay Reh" (M, 50+), describing those who had to go
for forced labour in Shadaw relocation site (Interview 11).

"Many people can't work on their farms and produce food because the
army forces each family to do 5 acres of a rubber plantation.  The
plantation is beside their army camp.  The people are cutting and
clearing the area but the rubber seedlings haven't come yet.  The army is
forcing people to prepare the area before the seedlings arrive.  People
also have to do clearing and do plantations of things like peanuts and
other kinds of beans for the army." - "Nyi Reh" (M, 28), talking about
forced labour at Daw Dta Hay (Interview 9).

"We always have to do Loh Ah Pay and portering and can only do our
own work 2 or 3 days a week.  We have had to do Loh Ah Pay every year
but it's been getting worse in '98 and '99. ... Sometimes it takes 1 1/2
months, other times it takes a week.  You can't really say for how long.
Some people had to porter for years and years and some people died on
the way.  They've been calling people to porter in this way for a long
time; since before the student uprising in Burma." - "Ni Reh" (M, 47),
describing forced labour and portering in and around Shadaw relocation
site (Interview 3).

Doing work for the Army not only prevents people from being able to do
what little work they can to support their own families, but it also puts
people in harm's way.  The villagers doing forced labour are routinely
beaten if they haven't finished their work, have been taking a short rest or
simply don't do a "good enough" job.  If villagers are found hiding in the
jungle and are lucky enough not to be killed on the spot, they are often
forced to work and porter for the Army as well, and people caught in this
manner are treated particularly brutally.  Porters, drawn both from the
relocation sites and the jungle, are expendable to the Army.  If they are
suffering from one or more of the many ailments that plague the area or
are not able to carry their load they are subjected to abuse and are either
killed outright or beaten and left to die in the jungle.  With no medicine to
speak of and no help, it doesn't take long to die when left alone in the
jungle.

"If you don't work hard and do your best, they beat you.  I saw them
beat my friends.  I don't know their names, we didn't know each other
very well.  They were from other villages and had come to live with us
when we were all forced to relocate.  The soldiers said to them, 'Do it
nicely.'  My friends said, 'We have never done it before so how can we
do it nicely?'  Then he beat them.  My friends were women about the
same size as I am.  He beat them with a stick wider than my big toe.  He
hit them too many times for me to count.  Some of them were crying." -
"Say Mya" (F, 21), describing the treatment of villagers being forced to
build a road from beside Nwa La Bo to Peh Kong village (Interview 7).

"People have to stand up while they are working.  If they sit down, the
soldiers beat them with bamboo as big as my forearm [about 5 cm in
diameter].  I saw them beat E---, R--- and a few other people.  They were
sitting down so the soldiers beat them and said, 'Don't you see what
those other people are doing?'  People can't even sit and rest." - "Nyi
Reh" (M, 28), talking about the treatment of villagers being forced to build
a road near Daw Dta Hay.  The road probably leads to Daw Wah Kaing
(Interview 9).

"I was able to avoid them but they captured other people.  Anytime I saw
them I ran away.  If they saw me it would have been better that they shot
me dead rather than capture me because they treat you very badly if they
capture you.  B--- and his elder brother, Mee Reh, were captured in our
hiding place by the Burmese.  They captured them while they were
harvesting paddy.  They forced them to porter for one month but they
couldn't carry [much] so they beat and hit them a lot.  Mee Reh couldn't
[walk] anymore because he was tired so they tied rope around his neck
and pulled him.  After pulling him by the neck for a while, they thought
he was dead and left him.  He wasn't dead and later returned to us.  His
brother, B---, also escaped during the night and came back to our place
but Mee Reh died two months later.  He couldn't do anything.  He was
sick all the time, coughing up blood, and then he finally died.  The elder
brother is dead and the younger one is still in the jungle suffering from
what happened. When B--- first came back he was also coughing blood
and he couldn't work but he can work a bit now." - "Klaw Reh" (M, 45),
describing how villagers found in the jungle around Shadaw are treated
(Interview 1).

"In the first two years ['96 and '97] I could still work and produce food
but in '98 the army came and called me time after time to be a guide or
interpreter for them. ... They came looking for me at my house a few
times but I wasn't home, so the commander, Soe Htun, gave my wife a
bullet. ... My wife and children wept and didn't want to stay there any
longer." - "Doh Reh" (M, 53), explaining why he and his family fled
Shadaw relocation site (Interview 4).

Most villagers are determined to survive as long as they can near their
land but that often proves to be futile.  One of the major problems in
getting from the jungle to the Thai border is that people simply don't know
which way to go.  In particular, the people in the southwest corner of
Karenni, around Mawchi, have a very long way to go to get to the Thai
border and the threat of being seen and killed is all too real.  The fear and
distrust that the Army patrols have engendered in the villagers living in the
forest also poses a problem for those wishing to find refuge in Thailand.
The villagers are afraid to confront or join with one another for fear of
informers or detection and this reduces their options when looking for
people to help lead them towards the Thai border.  KNPP soldiers often
help the villagers to find their way, but there are a lot of areas which the
KNPP soldiers can't reach.  Often villagers will follow merchants who
have been previously to the Thai border.  Some of the villagers in the
north of Karenni State head into Shan State to find their way to Thailand,
but that route is no easier to travel.  The trip offers many obstacles which
pose a particular problem for the sick and elderly.  There are many hills on
the way to the border, rivers have no bridges, and the boats that were once
available to ferry people across are gone.  When the villagers are fleeing to
the Thai border, they have to travel at night and away from roads to avoid
detection by the Army.  One common meeting point for villagers who are
fleeing seems to be along the banks of the Salween River.  Many villagers
have reported joining larger groups of people by the river and then
continuing to Thailand together.

"When they saw people, they beat some and killed some.  They also took
our rice to eat or destroy when they saw our farms.  We didn't allow the
children to cry, if they did we scolded them.  The children didn't dare cry
because they were afraid too.  We lived like that until we couldn't
tolerate the hunger any longer and then we came here." - "Maw Reh"
(M, ~80), describing the fear that is felt while trying to flee through the
jungle to Thailand from Shadaw relocation site (Interview 2).

"We arrived at the Salween River at 6:00 p.m.  My family and another 3
families left together, but when we arrived at the Salween River we
found many people there.  We looked for people to help us cross the
river because it's a difficult river to cross.  We then saw some Karenni
soldiers and they showed us the way to come here.  I had never been
here before but some of the people among us had come here before to
sell and buy things so we came with them." - "Doh Reh" (M, 53),
describing the difficulty of getting to the Thai border from Shadaw
relocation site (Interview 4).

"There were Shan farms on the way and if we arrived at a farm in the
morning the farmer gave us food.  We spoke to each other in Burmese
and I asked them if they wanted to come here with us but they didn't
dare." - "Nyi Reh" (M, 28), describing his flight through Shan State to
Thailand (Interview 9).

The trip to the Thai border can take up to 3 weeks, and in the case of
villagers coming from the Mawchi area it can take up to 2 or 3 months.
However, many villagers from the Mawchi area don't dare to make the
dangerous trip to the Thai border and are instead taking their chances
holding out in the jungle, a choice which is resulting in many deaths from
starvation and disease.  People often run out of food on the way, but there
is no access to additional food along the way except by sharing with other
people who are in the same circumstances or borrowing food from villages
which they happen to pass.  Most of the villagers arrive at the refugee
camps in a state of malnutrition and very poor health.

"They are still living in the jungle.  They would like to come here but
they can't because it's not easy to get here.  They didn't come with us
because they didn't see us.  We had to come secretly.  We couldn't tell
anyone where we were going.  Now, we dare not trust anyone because
we are afraid they'll inform the Burmese." - "Soe Reh" (M, 63),
describing the difficulty villagers are having getting to the Thai border
from the Mawchi area (Interview 14).

"We saw many people on the way.  I saw a grandmother beside Nwa La
Bo who couldn't walk and had to have people carry her.  When she was
able to walk a little, another woman couldn't walk and had to be carried.
There were many women who came who had to be carried because of
illness or fatigue." - "Say Mya" (F, 21), describing the flight to Thailand
(Interview 7).

"I just followed people who had come here before to sell things.  The
people we met on the way [to the border with Thailand] didn't have
much rice to eat.  As for us, we ate the rice we brought with us.  There
are 7 people in our family and we carried one big tin of rice to eat.
People who didn't have rice asked for a bit from those people who did.
We shared with each other but when nobody had any rice we didn't eat."
- "Eh Reh" (F, 35+), describing the situation of villagers fleeing to
Thailand from the Shadaw area (Interview 10).

"When I was taken to the hospital [in Thailand] the nurse ... scolded me.
She said, 'Why didn't you come earlier?  The child is too ill.'  I told them
that I was living very far away and couldn't come any earlier.  We
couldn't understand each other.  It was very difficult for me." - "Mi Su"
(F), about arriving in Thailand after fleeing Daw Dta Hay (Interview 6).

Since January of this year over 1,500 villagers have arrived in Thailand
seeking refuge.  The majority of new arrivals are coming from the Shadaw
area but some people are coming from other areas, such as the Mawchi
and Loikaw areas.  Thus far all of the arriving refugees have been allowed
into the refugee camps by the Thai officials but there is often a delay
before the Thai officials will permit aid to be taken into the camps for the
new arrivals.  There are still serious concerns over camp security,
especially after the refugee camp known as Karenni Camp 2 was attacked
by the Karenni National Democratic Army (KNDA), a 'splinter'
organisation aligned with the SLORC/SPDC, in January 1997.  On May 2,
1999 Burmese soldiers attacked a Thai police post in Mae Hong Son
province and left evidence that would point to a Karenni group (KNDA)
as the perpetrators.  Mae Hong Son has a total of 6 refugee camps along
the Thai-Burmese border.  In light of this most recent event and attempted
deception, security in and around the camps is of high concern.

The future of the villagers, both in the relocation sites and in the jungle,
looks bleak if the situation continues in its current direction.  The SPDC
has made it clear that nothing less than unconditional surrender will be
accepted from the KNPP and so the fighting continues.  With the weather
patterns in the region continuing to be erratic, it is difficult to predict
whether the rice crop in 1999 will be successful, or a complete failure as it
has been for the past two years.  Even with good growing weather it is
very unlikely that villagers in most of Karenni will have the required seed
paddy or safe access to their fields, both of which are essential if they are
to produce any crop at all.  All of their villages have been destroyed and
all of the food reserves are long since used up.  Food is scarce and the
death rate due to starvation and minor illnesses is only likely to increase
unless something is done soon.  The SPDC appears to have no intention
but to continue on with business as usual.  There are even indications that
they may start building more new roads, which would all be built with
forced labour and would therefore put further strain on the already very
desperate situation for the villagers.  The villagers are starving and aren't
able to move anywhere without the risk of being arrested and forced to
work or simply shot on sight.  Fundamental political change in Burma still
seems to remain the only hope, albeit remote, for these people.

"Just before we left, we heard them saying they're going to build a road.
I'm not sure which road they are going to build.  It could be from Dta
Tha Maw to this border or a Shadaw-Pon river road, I don't know
exactly.  They have engineers and bulldozers but surely they are going to
call villagers to help them.  They can't do anything without villagers. ...
We came out because we couldn't tolerate it anymore.  We were forced
to work until we couldn't work on our own farms anymore, both this
year and last year.  In '97-'98 it was better than in '98-'99, when we
could not even harvest one basket of paddy.  We didn't have food and we
didn't have time to go out and find food because of the work we were
forced to do.  Our lives were getting very hard.  Finally, we decided to go
out and hide in the forest regardless of what would happen to us.  When
we got to the forest we met many people who were talking about coming
here so we came with them." - "Ni Reh" (M, 47), describing the desperate
situation around the Shadaw area (Interview 3).

  - [END OF BURMANET VERSION; SEE KHRG WEBSITE FOR FULL VERSION] -