Intrepid Travel / Out of Burma

Free Burma Coalition, Australia

Not sure if this has been circulated but just in case, here it is.

Cheers,

ABC

Intrepid Travel has decided to suspend its trips to the Burma after its
most recent review of the political situation in the country.

Intrepid commenced running its Burma trips in 1995, following the
relaxation of travel restrictions within the country.  The relaxation
of restrictions meant that for the first time groups could travel in
Burma with relative autonomy, and could largely avoid accommodation and
transport associated with the ruling military regime (now known as the
State Peace and Development Council (SPDC)).

Since 1995 we have been aware of both the positive and negative aspects
of our trips in Burma.

Positives

Our operations in Burma have focussed on the benefits of tourism at the
local level. We have developed a network of friends and operators in
Burma who have provided Intrepid passengers with a unique and
educational experience. In return we have provided locals with moral
support in their struggle for democracy in Burma, as well as the
opportunity to develop small tourism enterprises of their own.  Our
presence in Burma has stimulated debate on the issue of the ethics of
travel in Burma in the western world. We have had regular and open
contact about our Burma trips with pro-democracy and human rights
groups, and have promoted the arguments against the SPDC in our
promotional material and slide nights.

Negatives

We have recognised that taking Intrepid travellers to Burma provides
both direct and implicit support to the SPDC.  While minimising the
amount of money going to SPDC enterprises, some of our trip funds
inevitable reach the military junta, through they paying of entrance
fees, visa fees etc.  Being in Burma, with whatever mindset, provides
implicit support for the SPDC's visit Myanmar policy, and it's
deplorable associated practises of slave labour and forced relocations.
We have also recognised that running trips in Burma conflicts with the
Burmese National League for Democracy's call for a tourism boycott
until the establishment of a democratic government in the country.

Part of our policy in operating trips in Burma has been to regularly
review the balance of benefits and detriments outlined above.  At the
most recent review in May 1999 it was decided that after our
obligations to currently booked passengers are honoured, our operations

in Burma will be suspended indefinitely. This decision is based on what
we feel is currently the most effective support for the Burmese people
in their struggle for democracy and the recognition of basic human
rights.

Intrepid remains committed to the ongoing debate on the role of tourism
in Burma.  In making the decision to suspend operations we deeply
regret the impact that this will have on our friends and operators in
Burma.  We hope that in the longer term our support of a tourism
boycott will add weight to the international pressure against the SPDC,
and result in a free and democratic Burma.

Tim Westbury

Responsible Travel Co-ordinator

Intrepid Travel Pty Ltd

PO Box 2781 Fitzroy DC 3065