Interview with Lt-General Khin Nyun

Subject: Interview with Lt-General Khin Nyunt, Secretary-l of the State Peace and Develop

The following is a reproduction of ?Interview with Lt-General Khin Nyunt,
Secretary-l of the State Peace and Development Council by Ms Delphine Evmoon
in April 1999 issue of Faits and Protects Magazine in France:-Ed
=================================
Interview with
Lt-General KHIN NYUNT,
Secretary-1 of the State Peace and Development Council
by Delphine Evmoon
==================================

International and Economic Affairs

1. What is your vision of the foreign policy of your country with ASEAN and
with China?

The essence of Myanmar?s foreign policy is to develop friendly relations with
all the countries of the world, particularly with its neighbors. Myanmar
therefore joined ASEAN with a view to promote regional peace, stability and
prosperity through cooperation and integration with other nations of the
Southeast Asia On the other hand, China is not only a neighboring country but
also one of the most important trading and economic partners. We therefore
look forward to working together with both ASEAN and.China for mutual benefit
in the interests of peace and progress.

2. What do you think about the very strong position of the United States and
the United Kingdom, for the most important, against the Union of Myanmar?

Previously, Myanmar maintained cordial relations with both United States and
United Kingdom. Unfortunately, our relations with these countries have cooled
down after 1988. We believe that it is not our doing since we have always
desired good relations with them, as we are fully aware of their importance
in the world today, We also know that with their cooperation in terms of
development and technical fields, we shall be able to march towards our goal
for progress and modernization at a much more rapid pace. As such, we have
done our best to promote good relations with these countries. Unfortunately,
they have adopted a very negative attitude against our country because of
their own political agenda. As a responsible Government, we have to place the
interests of the country and its people utmost and we cannot always do as
they want or follow their advice? and suggestions due to the unique
circumstances of Myanmar. We hope that both United States and United Kingdom
will realize that we all have the same aim: to see the emergence of a

peaceful, democratic and prosperous Myanmar.

3. And with the position of Europe which is stronger than before against your
country?

I would not fully agree with your statement that Europe as a whole has taken
a stronger position against us: There may be some nations that have adopted a
more intransigent attitude but there are also many European countries who are
more flexible and whose positions are more balanced and objective.

4. What do you think about the economical position of France with the Union
of Myanmar?

 .Myanmar has always enjoyed cordia1 and friendly relations with France and
the two sides have also benefited from fruitfu1 cooperation in the economic
sphere. It is our belief as well as our hope that France will have a better
understanding and appreciation of the challenges we face and as a friendly
nation, work with us in meeting and overcoming these challenges. We are also
deeply gratified that our economic activities are proceeding satisfactorily.
But we should not be complacent for there exists a huge potential for our two
countries to cooperate with each other for mutual benefit. Myanmar has the
greatest respect for French technology-and expertise and by combining them
with Myanmar?s natural resources, it would prove to be very advantageous for
both sides. We therefore would like the French business circles to visit our
country more extensively and see the potentials for investment.

5. Why, if we want to compare the Union of Myanmar with the Vietnam- two
countries which began to open to foreign investments almost in the same
time-the Union of Myanmar is still late with banks, telecommunications,
aviation systems...? Do you think this problem could come from the way of how
the Government of your country takes the decision?

I do not believe that it is a question of decision-making process since it
has been streamlined as much as possible in terms of investment. Of course,
each country has its own rules, regulations and procedures in keeping with
its conditions. Also, there is the matter of priorities. At the same time, it
is generally recognized that Myanmar has one of the most liberal investment
laws in the region which can be beneficial for the investors. Therefore, the
issue is not internal laws and regulations but because some western countries
have added a political dimension by mixing economics with politics.

Internal Affairs

Drugs

1. You could read in the foreign media that some businessmen of the Union of
Myanmar who are involved in the drug trafficking (if you read the
International Narcotic Control Strategy Report of the United States), could
continue to do both activities business and drug trafficking-through clean
companies and with your agreement?

This is one of the false allegations directed against our efforts for the
elimination of narcotic drugs. The United States DEA (Drug Enforcement
Administration) has an office in Yangon and there exists cooperation between
that office and Myanmar anti-narcotics authorities. Moreover, United States
Opium Yield Survey Teams have carried out surveys together with our people

for four times already, So, their drug enforcement people know how much we
are doing in this area. Unfortunately, for political reasons, people in
Washington continue to ignore the unprecedented advances we have made in the
fight to eliminate narcotic drugs. This is an issue we inherited from our
colonial past and which is very complex in nature as it involves political,
economic and social undertones. We are committed to total elimination of
narcotic drugs but there naturally must be a certain period of time needed to
achieve this objective. Moreover, this cannot be accomplished without the
participation of the local communities and their leaders. Now because of our
efforts and the successes attained in winning over the hearts and minds of
the people, the national races leaders have pledged to eliminate narcotic
drugs within a certain time period and we find them doing their best to
fulfil their obligations and promises. Responsible persons from the western
nations had met and discussed with these people and so they know the
situation. You yourself were with me when we made trip to one such area and
you had opportunity to personally interview the local community leaders. So,
there is no truth in this one-sided and deliberate allegation.

2. Why did you refuse the extradition of Khun Sa to the United States when he
surrendered?

Through our own efforts and without the assistance from anyone, we were able
to bring about unconditional surrender of Khun Sa and his Mong Tai Army. Khun
Sa himself made a pledge that he would not be involved with narcotic drugs in
any way and abide the arrangements made by the Government. As you know,
previously we had sacrificed hundreds of lives of our men each year in our
struggle for the elimination of the narcotics menace. Because of the
unconditional surrender of Khun Sa and his men, it has lightened the duties
of the armed forces and made possible for more effective counter-narcotics
measures. So, now that he has totally given up his involvement in narcotics
in his own accord and is living to the promises given to the Government,
there exists no reason to extradite him to the United States to be tried as a
criminal.
Political opposition

1. Why do you refuse to dialogue with Aung San Suu Kyi?

Allow me to inform you about our attitude regarding the process of dialogue.
We regard dialogue not as a single event but as a process involving several
stages. First, there must be initial contact. This will be followed up by
trying to engage each other in discussions in order to build confidence. Once
confidence-building is achieved, then this could lead to substantive
discussions. This is the process we tried to follow when I initiated
discussions on the 1 8th August with U Aung Shwe, who as you know is the
Chairman of the NLD and therefore the most responsible person of the NLD
party. My intention was to build up confidence between the two sides. The
talks went quite well and I was hoping to continue the process the very next
week. However, the NLD and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi began to insist that there
could not be any meeting without the participation of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

Moreover, they also said that my meeting with U Aung Shwe was aimed at
causing splits in their ranks. All these actions on the part of NLD and Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi show that also they keep saying that they want to have a
dialogue with the Government. they are actually not sincere and are not
interested in meaningful and genuine dialogue and are trying to create
obstacles in the path to discussions between the two sides. For example, as I
mentioned, I met with U Aung Shwe on the l 8th August. But their reponse was
to issue a proclamation calling for the convening of the Parliament on their
own on the 21st August. As such, we can only conclude that they would like to
derail the process of dialogue in spite of all their political posturing.

2 .Some members of the NLD resigned every day. You could read outside that it
is because the Government forced them with strong pressure on them or on
their family. Could you comment please?

There is no truth in these false allegations. Many of the NLD members had
stated in front of the press and television cameras that they resigned
because they no longer believed in the NLD or its leadership and that they
were doing so voluntarily and without compulsion. Indeed, they explained that
they were fed up with the confrontational stance of the NLD leadership
particularly by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi in trying to convene the Parliament
unilaterally. That is the reason for these people resigning from the NLD and
not from any compulsion from the Government.

Education

1. Because of the universities which are closed, foreign media speak about
?lost generations?. What do you think about that?

This misperception came about because the foreign media is not aware about
the true situation in the country, Not all higher institutes are closed and
some post-graduate courses are being held without interruption throughout
this period. Moreover, it may be recalled that last August, examinations for
all university classes were held throughout the nation. The closing of
universities is only temporary and we are trying to re-open them in the near
future. So, there is no problem of a lost generation.

The State Peace and Development Council (S.P.D.C.)

1. The Government began a new Constitution in 1993. When the Constitution
will be finish?

This is a question which has been asked frequently. Because of the special
characteristics of our nation, we are trying to reach consensus in the
National Convention that is drafting the guidelines of the new Constitution.
Myanmar is a nation composed of 135 different national races and you will
appreciate that it can be a very delicate matter especially when it concerns
such topics as sharing of power in the legislative, executive and judicial
branches. As such, a certain time must be allowed for the divergent interests
of various groups to converge. At the same time, we wish to assure you that
the Government has no desire to prolong this process and once the
Constitution is promulgated, the Government will hand over state power to the
constitutional Government.

2. Foreign people think that inside the S.P.D.C. there are two different
branches which are both running to the power: one follows your side and the
other, the side of General Maung Aye, with both two different ways of
thinking. You could read too about the real role of U Ne Win in the important
decisions of the country and the real actual role of the President of the
country, Senior-General Than Shwe, Could you comment please ?

This is a myth and a misinformation first spread by expatriate dissident
groups and then picked by the media with the malicious aim of causing splits
or at least give the impression of splits in the S.P.D.C. There is no
substance whatever in these allegations. The members of the S.P.D.C. may have
different responsibilities and different roles, but we are all working
unitedly and as a team under the leadership of our Chairman Senior General
Than Shwe. As for your query on U Ne Win, you must first understand our
Myanmar thinking and tradition. In Myanmar, since the majority of our
population are Buddhists, when we reach an advanced age, we would like to
devote our lives in religion. Therefore, in his case also, he has retired
completely from politics and is now engaged in religious devotion only. Since
he is no longer in political matters, the question of his influence time this
sphere no longer arises.

3. What could you say about the forced enrollment of military people in the
country ?

This is misinformation which originates from insurgent sources. Recruitment
in the military in Myanmar is entirely voluntary. There is no forced
enrollment since there are enough young people who wish to serve in the
military because of their patriotism .

4. What about the forced moves of a lot of villages in the country hen a
project of a new construction has to be realized on their area?
Sometimes, there are occasions when people have to be relocated because of
the construction of new projects. This is really a natural phenomenon which
is occurring everywhere in the world. If you are constructing a dam, of
course the villages downstream have to be moved. However, we are doing this
in a systematic way by consulting the villagers beforehand and trying to make
the disruption to their lives as little as possible. We also informed them
about the benefits that they would obtain from the projects. Therefore, there
are no genuine complaints from the villagers who realize it is they
themselves and their communities which will benefit in the long run.

5. What about the corruption of officials people in the Government?

No country in the world is free from corruption. Although there may be some
instances in the country, they are not endemic or widespread. At the same
time, we are trying our best to eliminate corruption .

6. In some French articles, the name which is given to you is the ?Prince of
the darkness?. What do you think about this ?

I read an article or two that carried the term you mentioned. As you and I
met each other a number of times and you yourself have accompanied me to
various places in the country. I leave it to you to answer the question.

Personally, I would like to think of myself as a servant of the people who
is
trying to do his best for the country.