Mrs J Gash MP, Speech to the House

Subject: Mrs J Gash MP, Speech to the House of Reps. Australia

Mrs Gash, 10th June 1999, The House of Reps. Australian Parliament

Hansard Chamber Green

<start speech>

Mrs Gash (Gilmore) (6.01 p.m.) - Today I would like to draw the attention
of the House to a community that, for most of the world, seems to consist
of one person.  This person regularly appears on the front pages of serious
newspapers and magazines around the globe, although not so much lately. The
various trials and tribulations of this community of one are often
highlighted in the media and sometimes sensationalised for increased sales.
Yet this one person community offers us a glimmer of hope.  In the midst
of grinding adversity, her community demonstrates balance, patience,
compassion, strength of purpose and love.  Aung San Suu Kyi alone is not
the Burmese community, although from the Western media, you would be
forgiven for thinking so.  Although she has been off the front pages
lately,, let me assure you, Mr Speaker, that she and her community are
still there, still focusing on their purpose and still paying the price.
In fact, the price often rises as fame and newsworthiness fades for, out
of the limelight, things can and do happen in the darkness.

I am trying to make it clear that, although we are not hearing about it,
the people of Burma, epitomised by Aung San Suu Kyi, are still suffering.
As the human face of the Burmese struggle for recognition and political
freedom, Aung San Suu Kyi becomes a target not only for our attention but
for the attention of others less interested in her health - and her health
is suffering.  After months of intense political and psychological pressure
on top of very difficult personal circumstances, Aung San Suu Kyi's
physical being has succumbed.

Again, we are tempted to offer to her the attention that we are not
constantly offering to her people - people who, on a daily basis,
self-select as targets for oppression by visiting her, listening to her,
attending her meetings and being her friends.  Not only do they risk
themselves and their livelihoods but also those of their friends and
families.  This is normal life now in Burma, but we Westerners like to
concentrate on the one face.  We hold ego in terms of the self or being
above the actions.  That is the reason we celebrate our birthdays, as if it
is important how long we have been on this planet.  In Burma, it is not how

many years you have lasted but what you have done with your time that is
important.  Also important is the focus on the effort, not the person.

I ask you all here in this House and across Australia to make the effort to
actively think about Burma and the positive options that you might have to
offer.  Keep Burma's people in your conscience minds and send them you
thoughts.  As a person of Karuna, or compassionate giving, I hope Aung San
Suu Kyi will allow me to also wish her a happy birthday next week on
Saturday 19th June, 1999 - my thoughts, and those of many of my
constituents, are with you and your people, actively supporting and
encouraging the lifetime of effort that you and they are expending.

<end speech>

Working on behalf of the:
National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma (NCGUB)
Federation of Trade Unions, Burma (FTUB)
Australia Burma Council (ABC)

PO Box 2024, Queanbeyan, NSW 2620
Tel: (612) 6297 7734	Fax: (612) 6297 7773