DASSK support for SA freedom strugg

Subject: DASSK support for SA freedom struggle

------=_NextPart_000_0115_01BEB6B6.0CDF0C80

DASSK supported for freedom struggle of South africa while she was =
student
DASSK mentioned in her speech in Durban at convocation, University of =
Durban in 1997.

"Many of us in Burma know of your struggle against apartheid, and your  =
victory
has helped us  to face  adversity with fortitude, and to strengthen our
faith that right will ultimately  prevail. It was through your struggle =
that
I learnt my first practical lesson in the importance of universal =
participation
in the fight for justice in any society. As a very new  student  at =
Oxford
University, I was taken to shop for  fruit by an English friend.As I was
reaching for a big , handsome orange she looked at the label on the =
fruit,
told me it come from South Africa and explained why I should not buy it.
I was stuck by the  strength of  her determination to do whatever  she =
could
to combat apartheid, particularly as she was  not  at all politically =
inclined.
For her it was a matter  of conscience, an act of common humanity to =
stand by
the black people of South Africa  in their fight to live as full =
citizens in
their own country. I am happy  and proud to be able to  say that from =
that day
I never bought anything from South Africa  as a protest against =
apartheid.
Since apartheid collapsed  I have not had  a chance to buy anything
South African. It is a pleasure which I hope  to enjoy one day, in  your =
own country."

------=_NextPart_000_0115_01BEB6B6.0CDF0C80

DASSK supported for freedom struggle of South = africa=20 while she was
student
DASSK mentioned in her speech in Durban at = convocation,=20 University of
Durban in 1997.

"Many of us in Burma know of your = struggle against=20 apartheid, and your
 victory
has helped us  to face  = adversity=20 with fortitude, and to strengthen our

faith that right will = ultimately =20 prevail. It was through your
struggle that
I learnt my first = practical lesson=20 in the importance of universal
participation
in the fight for justice = in any=20 society. As a very new  student  at
Oxford
University, I = was taken=20 to shop for  fruit by an English friend.As I was
reaching for a = big ,=20 handsome orange she looked at the label on the
fruit,
told me it come = from=20 South Africa and explained why I should not buy it.
I was stuck by = the =20 strength of  her determination to do whatever  she
could
to = combat=20 apartheid, particularly as she was  not  at all
politically=20 inclined.
For her it was a matter  of conscience, an act of = common=20 humanity to
stand by
the black people of South Africa  in their = fight to=20 live as full
citizens in
their own country. I am happy  and = proud to be=20 able to  say that from
that day
I never bought anything from = South=20 Africa  as a protest against
apartheid.
Since apartheid = collapsed =20 I have not had  a chance to buy anything
South African. It is a = pleasure=20 which I hope  to enjoy one day, in
your own=20 country."
------=_NextPart_000_0115_01BEB6B6.0CDF0C80--