US StateDept - a digression or not?

Some of you may have seen this, on Columbia, rebels, oil, drugs, and the
US State Dept. At first it seemed incredible, but today you get used to
the anything goes attitude, so why not. But on second thought its not
very original and reminds me of the Thompson Red Cross mission to post
Tsarist Russia in 1917 (read George Kennan on this, among other works)
and how this american capitalist tried to pour millions into Kerensky's
Russia thinking that it might, or could, sidetrack the Soviets, Lenin
and Marx. It didnt, the October Revolution finished off the Red Cross
Russia mission and Thompson lost milions, while the West lost Russia.
The seeds of that debacle were planted over a hundred years ago and only
took a little gun powder in Sarejevo to blow up Europe, where we still
find ourselves today, a la Kosovo. Oh, well, what a neat little world.
Of course, we all know that Churchill and Wilson sent in a little army
to strangle Soviet Russia, it didnt work, and an embittered Hitler went
home, but first, seething in a prison camp, dictated Mein Kamp to
Rudolph Hesse, and the rest is history. To think that a little more
dialogue and common sense, and less hysteria and smart thinking would
have changed the century for the better. Wishful thinking. Leave it to
the generals and the politicians and the capitalists to screw it up, and
they will. You see, America could have negotiated an early settlement to
the first world war, and they didnt, not that the english really wanted
us to, and by that time, the US had become the richest nation in the
world, a crediter nation, holding all the stocks bonds and gold of
western europe and england. really, little rest has changed, atoms and
all, dawn star