[burmanet2-l] Nepalese delegation v

Subject: Re: [burmanet2-l] Nepalese delegation visits pagodas, National Museum

I have lived and visited extensively Kathmandu, Nepal etc. There are
quite a few Burmese as you may know in Nepal, exiles, people who left
repression for their lives. Unfortunately, it is dope traffic passes
through Kathmandu and Nepal and there is little the Nepalese do or can
do to stop it. They do not seem very much interested in supporting
Democracy now in Burma, as suggested by this visit, but that is not
necessarily the case. Three years ago, George Fernandez hosted the
Democracy in Burma conference in New Delhi, with present the late Ganesh
Man Singh, freedom fighter and long-time democratic leader of the Nepali
Congress Party with veteran Nepali and Indian independence fighter,
virtual godson of Nehru, BP Kiorala. Let us not denigrate the great
freedom fighting spirit of Nepals leaders by such a tasteless and
insipid news story posted here. Nepal is a young democracy, barely ten
years old, after a brief and hapless tentative by BP Koriala in 1959
that got him eight years jail solitary confinement alone on a hill far
from the world. We talk about Mandela on the island, but no one really
remembers the Koriala story, no one but thousands of Nepalese. Please
give them the respect they and their history deserve.

dawn star