Reuters-ASEAN can't create democrac

Subject: Reuters-ASEAN can't create democracy in Myanmar

INTERVIEW-ASEAN can't create democracy in Myanmar
11:36 p.m. Jul 05, 1999 Eastern
By Rajan Moses

BANGKOK, July 6 (Reuters) - The fostering of democracy in military-ruled
Myanmar cannot be the responsibility of the Association of Southeast Asian
Nations (ASEAN), Thai premier Chuan Leekpai said on Tuesday.

He told Reuters the 10-member grouping could act only as supporters of
greater democracy in Myanmar, but ultimately the responsibility lay with the
Yangon authorities.

``Members of ASEAN have different political regimes. For members that have
democratic political system, of course, you would like to see democracy in
Myanmar,'' Chuan said.

``But the creation of democracy in Myanmar cannot be the responsibility of
ASEAN...rather, it must be the responsibility of Myanmar. We can only act as
supporters,'' he said when asked why ASEAN had failed to breed democracy in
Myanmar.

``I have always said that one may look at ASEAN as a kind of a window or a
door through which Myanmar and the outside world can look at each other,''
Chuan said.

``However, I think Myanmar needs time. If anyone is going to develop
democracy, it's going to need both learning and experience,'' he said.

ASEAN groups Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the
Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.

Amnesty International said in a report last week that Myanmar's widespread
abuses against ethnic minorities -- including killings, torture and rape --
had worsened since it joined ASEAN in 1997.

It urged ASEAN to pressure Yangon on human rights.

Myanmar has denied the charges and said Amnesty had been duped by
anti-Myanmar insurgents and their supporters into producing the damning
report.

Its ruling State Peace and Development Council has also been accused by the
West and rights groups of curbing the political freedom and movements of
Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi and her National League for
Democracy party.

Last week, diplomats in Bangkok said the European Union, which bars senior
Myanmar officials from entering Europe, would send a mission to Myanmar this
week to encourage dialogue between the military generals and the opposition.

Chuan said Thailand and Myanmar were trying hard as neighbours to reduce
possible conflicts along their border.

In the past, there have been sporadic clashes between their forces at the
border, fishing disputes and attacks on fishermen. Drug trafficking from
Myanmar's unpoliced borders near the Golden Triangle has also posed
headaches for Thai authorities.

``We cannot deny the fact that there is a 2,400 km (1,500 miles) common
border between the two countries and along this border problems will occur.
But we do try to reduce any possible conflicts,'' Chuan added.

To read almost all NLD Statements and CRPP
Notifications please visit My Page.

http://www.crisscross.com/users/hlaing/home.htm