REPORT - Corrupt Police Suspect in

Subject: REPORT - Corrupt Police Suspect in Murder of Civilian in Burma

REPORT - Corrupt Police Suspect in Murder of Civilian in Burma

RELAYED BY : NCGUB - July 7, 1999

National League for Democracy
No:(97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan Township, Rangoon

STATEMENT 83(6/99)(translation)

1.  Maung Kyi Khine (aged 25 years), son of U Paw Khine, resident of
Myoma quarters in De-pai-yin town, Sagaing division was arrested by
Police sergent Tha Doon and some constables at 6:30 a.m. on 23 May 1999
on
the charge of swearing at his aunt Daw Khe. Though U Thaung Tin, a
person
in authority of the quarters, who accompanied the police, offered to
take
responsibility for the man because of his good character, Maung Kyi
Khine
was taken a way to the police station and was told that he could not be
released till 4:00 p.m.

2. The same day at about 10:00 a.m. the family took food for Maung Kyi
Khine at the police station but was forbidden contact. At about 6:00
p.m. the family was informed by a friend who had connections with the
police that Maung Kyi Khine had committed suicide by hanging himself in
the
lock up. The family had received no intimation from the police up to
that
time.

3.  The family found no signs of death by hanging when they saw the
corpse. There was swelling of the face, back and chest with lacerations
in the area above the public bone.  The medical report and exhibits
which were sent by parcel from the hospital were lost in transit to the
post office and recovered only on the 26th May 1999 in a bush along the
Ye-u /De-pai-yin motor road.

4.  We understand that the Shwebo district police unit investigated
the case and Sergeant Sein Win (clerk of the station) confessed having
himself killed the man. But the family and the public are not
convinced.  They suspect that the whole gang of police who have control
at the station killed him. Sergeant Sein Win, the confessor to the
murder is at large with no action taken against him.

5.  The residents of the town are enraged because the Secretary of the
De-pai-yin township authority is flaunting publicly and saying
" Do you know the times we are living in? It is stability and
development times.  Problems will be leveled out. What cannot be leveled
out will be squeezed out. What cannot be squeezed out foul play will be
applied."

6. The total absence of fellow feeling by the authorities in their
treatment of the people and their dishonest and cruel actions is causing
grave disgust, anger and hatred. We believe that the people have lost
faith in the term "rule of law".

7.  Because of such events, a sense of insecurity pervades and no mater
where they are, outside honestly engaged in legitimate trade or inside
suffering imprisonment they feel unsafe.  We denounce in the strongest
terms the ruthless brutality and the irresponsible and negligent conduct
of the authorities. We see a great need for propping up the corroding
and declining administrative and judicial pillars of the country and
push for reform.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon