5 L.A. Best Western Targetted Targ

Subject: 5  L.A. Best Western Targetted Targetted by Burma Forum Activists

Today, 5 Best Western Hotels in the Los Angeles area were visited by a =
delegation of Burma Forum activists including Burmese-exiles, Dr. Pye =
Nyein and Taw Myo Myint.     The visits were the first step in the =
escalation of the Best Western Out of Burma Campaign in Los Angeles.   =
Best Western Hotels is part of a the small group of US companies who =
continue to invest in Burma, thereby helping to prop up the ruthless =
military junta.     We delivered packets of information which included
1.  A cover letter to the hotel owner or manager.    A copy of the =
letter is included below.    The demand is that the hotels send in a =
letter to Best Western Hotel Corporate Offices.    If they do so, we =
have promised not to target their hotels with leafleting.    =20
2.   A sample letter for them to send to corporate offices
3.   A fact sheet about the situation in Burma
4.   A collection of press clippings highlighting FBC's past successes =
with consumer boycotts
5.  A copy of the new Best Western Out of Burma leaflet.    =20

If the hotels do not respond, we plan to distribute leaflets to guests =
entering and exiting the hotel as well as distributing leaflets to hotel =
rooms where possible.  =20

We certianly encourage other FBC activists to begin targetting Best =
Western Hotels in your area.   You can find hotels in your area on the =
company site at www.bestwestern.com and we would be happy to send you =
copies of all our materials. =20

For more information, call the Burma Forum at (310)399-0703.

Copy of Letter to Best Western Hotels

July 8, 1999

Best Western Hotel

We are writing on behalf of the Free Burma Coalition to bring an =
important issue concerning Best Western Hotels to your attention. The =
southeast asian nation of Burma is currently ruled by one of the most =
brutal regimes in the world. The junta has institutionalized the use of =
murder, rape, torture, and forced labor as means of remaining in power =
and their human rights record has been condemned by groups including the =
United Nations, the US State Department, Amnesty International and Human =
Rights Watch. The regime is able to remain in power thanks, in large =
part, to the continuing investment of a small group of foreign =
corporations. Unfortunately, Best Western Hotels is part of this rapidly =
shrinking group of U.S. corporations who have chosen to continue to =
invest in Burma. When corporations like Best Western continue to invest =
in Burma they help to prop up this ruthless regime.=20

In 1990, elections were held in Burma in which Nobel Peace Prize Winner =
Aung San Suu Kyi=92s National League for Democracy Party won =
overwhelmingly. The junta refused to acknowledge the results of these =
elections and today, nearly 10 years after the elections, Suu Kyi =
remains under virtual house arrest in Burma and the generals remain in =
power. Suu Kyi and the rest of the democratically elected leadership of =
Burma have been very clear as to the role of foreign investment in their =
country. Here is what she says:

"Until we have a system that guarantees rule of law and basic democratic =
institutions, no amount of aid or investment will benefit our people. =
Profits from business enterprises will merely go toward enriching a =
small, already very privileged elite. Companies [who invest in =
Burma]=85. only serve to prolong the agony of my country, by encouraging =
the present military regime to persist in its intransigence."

Aung San Suu Kyi, 1996

The Free Burma Coalition, of which the Burma Forum, Los Angeles is a =
member, works with activists at over 100 colleges, universities and high =
schools in the U.S. and Canada and concerned citizens in 25 other =
countries around the globe to support the people of Burma in their =
ongoing fight for democracy and human rights. Much of our work to date =
has centered around organizing public pressure campaigns to encourage =
companies to support human rights and democracy by withdrawing from =
Burma. In response to public pressure, dozens of corporations have =
already withdrawn from Burma.

Upon withdrawing from Burma in 1992 Levi Strauss & Co stated: "It is not =
possible to do business [in Burma] without directly supporting the =
military government and its pervasive violations of human rights." ARCO, =
Ericcson, Apple Computer, and Texaco are just a few of the other =
corporations who have withdrawn in response to public pressure organized =
by the FBC.=20

We have expressed our concerns about Best Western=92s continued =
investment in Burma to company public relations officials but we have =
been given no indication that a change in policy is being considered. As =
a result, the Free Burma Coalition has begun to lay the groundwork for =
organizing an international boycott of Best Western Hotels.=20

We are aware that you, as the owner of an individual hotel are not =
supporting the regime in Burma. However, we believe that you have =
substantial power to play a constructive role in this dispute. The =
bottom line is this: All that Best Western Hotels needs to do to =
withdraw their support from the regime and to avoid the consequences of =
a boycott is to revoke membership with the one hotel in Burma=92s =
capital of Rangoon and to pledge not to invest in Burma until democracy =
is achieved. What we are asking you to do, however, is even simpler. We =
ask that you write a letter to Best Western Hotels expressing your =
concern for the situation and asking that they withdraw from Burma. =
While we intend to distribute leaflets to guests of Best Western Hotels =
in Los Angeles informing them of the role of the company in Burma, we =
will not target any hotels which have sent letters to the company. We =
have enclosed a sample letter and ask that you send the Burma Forum a =
copy of your letter.=20

We appreciate your taking the time to learn more about this issue and we =
would be happy to answer any additional questions you might have. We can =
best be reached at the Burma Forum offices at (310)399-0703. Our mailing =
address is Burma Forum, Los Angeles 2118 Wilshire Blvd #383, Santa =
Monica, CA 90403. We look forward to hearing from you.=20

Sincerely,

Dr. Pye Nyein                                   =20

Burmese Exile Burma Forum, Los Angeles

Kevin Rudiger

Burma Forum, Los Angeles

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01BECECB.45E26360

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Today, 5 Best Western Hotels in the =
Los Angeles=20
area were visited by a delegation of Burma Forum activists including=20
Burmese-exiles, Dr. Pye Nyein and Taw Myo Myint.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
The=20
visits were the first step in the escalation of the Best Western Out of =
Burma=20
Campaign in Los Angeles.&nbsp;&nbsp; Best Western Hotels is part of a =
the small=20
group of US companies who continue to invest in Burma, thereby helping =
to prop=20
up the ruthless military junta.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We delivered =
packets of=20
information which included</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>1.&nbsp; A cover letter to the hotel =
owner or=20
manager.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A copy of the letter is included=20
below.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The demand is that the hotels send in a letter =
to Best=20
Western Hotel Corporate Offices.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If they do so, we =
have=20
promised not to target their hotels with =
leafleting.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>2.&nbsp;&nbsp; A sample letter for =
them to send=20
to corporate offices</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>3.&nbsp;&nbsp; A fact sheet about the situation in=20
Burma</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>4.&nbsp;&nbsp; A collection of press clippings =
highlighting=20
FBC's past successes with consumer boycotts</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>5.&nbsp; A copy of the new Best Western Out of Burma =

leaflet.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If the hotels do not respond, we plan to distribute =
leaflets=20
to guests entering and exiting the hotel as well as distributing =
leaflets to=20
hotel rooms where possible.&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>We certianly encourage other FBC activists to begin =
targetting=20
Best Western Hotels in your area.&nbsp;&nbsp; You can find hotels in =
your area=20
on the company site at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.bestwestern.com";>www.bestwestern.com</A> and we would =
be happy=20
to send you copies of all our materials.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>For more information, call the Burma Forum at=20
(310)399-0703.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Copy of Letter to Best Western Hotels</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P align=3Djustify>July 8, 1999</P>
<P align=3Djustify>Best Western Hotel</P>
<P></P>
<P align=3Djustify>We are writing on behalf of the Free Burma Coalition =
to bring=20
an important issue concerning Best Western Hotels to your attention. The =

southeast asian nation of Burma is currently ruled by one of the most =
brutal=20
regimes in the world. The junta has institutionalized the use of murder, =
rape,=20
torture, and forced labor as means of remaining in power and their human =
rights=20
record has been condemned by groups including the United Nations, the US =
State=20
Department, Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch. The regime is =
able to=20
remain in power thanks, in large part, to the continuing investment of a =
small=20
group of foreign corporations. Unfortunately, Best Western Hotels is =
part of=20
this rapidly shrinking group of U.S. corporations who have chosen to =
continue to=20
invest in Burma. When corporations like Best Western continue to invest =
in Burma=20
they help to prop up this ruthless regime. </P>
<P align=3Djustify>In 1990, elections were held in Burma in which Nobel =
Peace=20
Prize Winner Aung San Suu Kyi&rsquo;s National League for Democracy =
Party won=20
overwhelmingly. The junta refused to acknowledge the results of these =
elections=20
and today, nearly 10 years after the elections, Suu Kyi remains under =
virtual=20
house arrest in Burma and the generals remain in power. Suu Kyi and the =
rest of=20
the democratically elected leadership of Burma have been very clear as =
to the=20
role of foreign investment in their country. Here is what she =
says:</P><I>
<P align=3Djustify>&quot;Until we have a system that guarantees rule of =
law and=20
basic democratic institutions, no amount of aid or investment will =
benefit our=20
people. Profits from business enterprises will merely go toward =
enriching a=20
small, already very privileged elite. Companies [who invest in =
Burma]&hellip;.=20
only serve to prolong the agony of my country, by encouraging the =
present=20
military regime to persist in its intransigence.&quot;</P></FONT><FONT=20
face=3D"Lucida Sans" size=3D2>
<P align=3Djustify>Aung San Suu Kyi, 1996</P></I></FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P align=3Djustify>The Free Burma Coalition, of which the Burma Forum, =
Los Angeles=20
is a member, works with activists at over 100 colleges, universities and =
high=20
schools in the U.S. and Canada and concerned citizens in 25 other =
countries=20
around the globe to support the people of Burma in their ongoing fight =
for=20
democracy and human rights. Much of our work to date has centered around =

organizing public pressure campaigns to encourage companies to support =
human=20
rights and democracy by withdrawing from Burma. In response to public =
pressure,=20
dozens of corporations have already withdrawn from Burma.</P>
<P align=3Djustify>Upon withdrawing from Burma in 1992 Levi Strauss =
&amp; Co=20
stated: &quot;It is not possible to do business [in Burma] without =
directly=20
supporting the military government and its pervasive violations of human =

rights.&quot; ARCO, Ericcson, Apple Computer, and Texaco are just a few =
of the=20
other corporations who have withdrawn in response to public pressure =
organized=20
by the FBC. </P>
<P align=3Djustify>We have expressed our concerns about Best =
Western&rsquo;s=20
continued investment in Burma to company public relations officials but =
we have=20
been given no indication that a change in policy is being considered. As =
a=20
result, the Free Burma Coalition has begun to lay the groundwork for =
organizing=20
an international boycott of Best Western Hotels. </P>
<P align=3Djustify>We are aware that you, as the owner of an individual =
hotel are=20
not supporting the regime in Burma. However, we believe that you have=20
substantial power to play a constructive role in this dispute. The =
bottom line=20
is this: All that Best Western Hotels needs to do to withdraw their =
support from=20
the regime and to avoid the consequences of a boycott is to revoke =
membership=20
with the one hotel in Burma&rsquo;s capital of Rangoon and to pledge not =
to=20
invest in Burma until democracy is achieved. What we are asking you to =
do,=20
however, is even simpler. We ask that you write a letter to Best Western =
Hotels=20
expressing your concern for the situation and asking that they withdraw =
from=20
Burma. While we intend to distribute leaflets to guests of Best Western =
Hotels=20
in Los Angeles informing them of the role of the company in Burma, we =
will not=20
target any hotels which have sent letters to the company. We have =
enclosed a=20
sample letter and ask that you send the Burma Forum a copy of your =
letter. </P>
<P align=3Djustify>We appreciate your taking the time to learn more =
about this=20
issue and we would be happy to answer any additional questions you might =
have.=20
We can best be reached at the Burma Forum offices at (310)399-0703. Our =
mailing=20
address is Burma Forum, Los Angeles 2118 Wilshire Blvd #383, Santa =
Monica, CA=20
90403. We look forward to hearing from you. </P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>Sincerely,</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>Dr. Pye=20
Nyein&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
</P>
<P align=3Djustify>Burmese Exile Burma Forum, Los Angeles</P>
<P align=3Djustify>Kevin Rudiger</P>
<P align=3Djustify>Burma Forum, Los =
Angeles</P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01BECECB.45E26360--