NLD Statement 92(translation)

National League for Democracy
No:(97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan Township, Rangoon

STATEMENT 92 (7/99)(translation)

Contents of letter dated 4 July 199 from the Chairman of the National
League for Democracy to the Chairman of the State Peace and Development
Council are reproduced for information.

(Start)

"Subject - Inhuman atrocities perpetrated by Military Intelligence

1.  At 1500 hours, 23 September 1998, some personnel from the Military
Intelligence were in the illegal process of forcefully capturing Maung
Pyi Soun Kyaw, NLD Youth Wing member near the Mingala bazaar in
Mingala-taung-nyunt township , Rangoon Division.

2.  The residents around the area were disgusted with what was happening
so they came out with sticks and beat up the hunters.

3.  The Military Intelligence failed in their investigations to find the
culprits because it was the result of mob frenzy.

4.  An NLD member was arrested on suspicion and was given the most
brutal and inhuman treatment.

5.  This was how he was dealt with:-
-  First and foremost, innocent as he was, his hands were manacled behind
his back without being given any reason.
- Pushed off the vehicle in which he was forcefully taken to a MI office.
- At the interrogation room he was made to keep his arms upraised and
his legs stretched as far apart as he possibly could.
- Utterances by the interrogators while they fisted him were " Not one
of us here is bereft of power. (Meaning we are empowered to do what we
like.)"
- When the victim explained that he had nothing to do in the Maung Pyi
Soun incident he was beaten up and kicked more than ever.
- He suffered very fierce blows that were aimed at his face, lips, back
of the head, nape of the neck, ribs and chest.
- As a result he suffered very severely from injuries.

This brutality on the part of the Military Intelligence who are public
servants on fellow human beings is intolerable and contradictory to the
expected cordial standard of relationship by public servants.

7.  We definitely denounce such brutal inhuman atrocities.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon
8 July 1999.