NLD Statement 94(translation)

National League for Democracy
No:(97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan Township, Rangoon

STATEMENT 94 (7/99)(translation)

1. Maung Myint Soe, son of U Hla Nyein, of Mjei-ne: village, Mounywa
township, Sagaing division went missing after he attended the mystically
powerful Than-bou-de Pagoda festival in Mounywa District on 13 November
1998.  It was only on the 1 April 1999, from a letter written five
months earlier that his relatives and friends came to know that he was
undergoing military training at Gjubyu, Division Training Center 1.

2.  When Maung Myint Soe's elder brother who is a Buddhist monk (Ashin
Kat-ku-tha-re-ya) followed up, he was directed to Indaing (No.3 Armoured
Battalion) where he found his younger brother undergoing further training.

3.  Our information is that Maung Myint Soe did not join the army of his
own volition. It was at daggers point that he was abducted by four
soldiers in uniform on his return from the festival at about 1:00 a.m.
Only the next day he was aware of having arrived at Mandalay. Those
responsible for the abduction were Corporal Tint Naing and his group
from No 10 Tank Battalion at A-ya-daw.

4.  We have information that Corporal Tint Naing and his group reside
within the precincts of the Baung-daw-kya pagoda that is on 81st Street
(between roads 18 and 19) in Mandalay West.

5.  Our information is that young adults from townships and country-wide
are brought into military areas by devious means and after much
pressure, threats, torments are asked if they agree to join the army.
Even if they have no inclination to do so, they have to say that they
agree. To prevent them from taking off at night they are made to sleep
in the nude notwithstanding cold or wet weather.

6.  Maung Myint Soe's military ID number is Ka Pa/Ta/128033 at Number 3
Armoured Battalion, Indaing. U Hla Nyein, Maung Myint Soe's father has had a
stomach operation and is unable to work properly.  His mother, Daw Than Yin
suffers from High Blood Pressure and the family is facing dire
hardship.  They need their son Maung Myint Soe with them to survive.

7.  All over the country most parents with young sons are suffering
great anxiety because of the practice of abducting young adults and
forcing them into the army.  This is especially so in the rural areas
where people feel most insecure for their sons.

8.  We strongly denounce this highly illegal system of treating young
male adults as slaves and denying the people the right to choose their
own destiny thus creating an atmosphere of insecurity.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon
13 July 1999.