Photos, Stories Required

i human 2000: Peace Initiative

We are a group of artists working on an anti-violence awareness project
called the  i human 2000 Peace Initiative.  We have the unique opportunity
to reach millions of people worldwide, raising awareness of the devastating
and far-reaching consequences of violence.

We are looking for pictures and stories of victims and survivors of
violence.  These photos and stories will appear in a touring art and
education awareness programme called the i human 2000 Peace Initiative: The
Gun Sculpture, opening first in Canada and beginning its world tour in the
Canadian Pavilion at Expo 2000, Hannover, Germany.

This initiative combines a powerful sculpture made from deactivated
weapons, accompanied by images of victims and survivors of violence.  The
sculpture is made from over 5,000 deactivated firearms and other weapons
donated from across Canada and governments, police services and
organizations worldwide.
Their contributions are a symbol of their intentions to create a less
violent and more peaceful world.

One of the most important objectives of the exhibit is to pay tribute to
victims and survivors of violence.  Accompanying the Sculpture will be wall
projections of victims and survivors, along with a short narrative of their
experience. Our intention is to respectfully use everyday, non-sensational
pictures to bring their story to a wider audience and to challenge the act
that robbed them of life or caused them suffering.  These full size digital
projections will act as "silent sentries" or "witnesses" around the room of
the installation.

i human 2000 is also working with youth to create awareness about the
origins and consequences of violence.  A ground breaking interactive Youth
Journal and video are being created by =B3youth at risk=B2, volunteers and
professionals to promote understanding and discussion about the consequences
of violence and to explore strategies for conflict resolution.

Would Human Rights Watch be interested in contributing some photos from
around the world?  We would be interested in obtaining photos from the many
countries with which HRW is involved (eg your campaigns re: Landmine

Victims, Child Soldiers, human rights violations in countries such as Sierra
Leone, etc)  We would like full length photos or slides, otherwise any
portrait or group photo will be accepted.  (Photo's, slides, photo  CD's)
The photo will hopefully express the personality and life of the individual=
 .
We would also like a short narrative about the victims/survivors.

Would you be able to contribute some photos/slides of people who were
victims/survivors of human rights violations in Burma?   We would like full
length photos or slides, otherwise any portrait or group photo will be
accepted.  The photo will hopefully express the personality and life of the
individual. We would also like a short narrative about the
victims/survivors.

I look forward to hearing from you and I may be reached at:
Phone:  (780) 455-3162     E-mail:  barer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     Website:

www.ihuman.org

Kind regards,

Sheila Bailin