SSA (South) statement of 12july99 r

Subject: SSA (South) statement of 12july99 regarding sao mahasang and

16 July 1999.

A Response to the Shan State Army(South) Statement of 12July99 Regarding
Sao Mahasang and Drug Smuggling from the Wa National Organization.

It is indeed a sad day in the ethnic affairs of our Revolutionary Movement
for real Democracy in the Union of Burma when representatives of the great
Shan people are reduced to muckraking and creating false and highly
injurious impressions of other ethnic leaders. Though the SSA (South)
statement of 12 July 99 has cleverly avoided being the direct accuser of
our President by claiming Thai Police accusations of drug involvement, and
his subsequent disappearance, it has instead, clearly pointed out it's own
ill will toward him and our WNO, for their own reasons and purposes, by
this publicaation and circulation of it on the internet.

What we suspect now that the SSA (South), unfortunately, has ulterior
motives in it's continuing attacks and shortsighted treatment of Sao
Mahasang. Earlier on, it was in the form of a series of similar false and
trumped up charges against the Wa Ntional Army, our President, and our very
presence along the Mae Hongsorn- Burma border. Carefully planned and
executed moves were aimed at destroying the WNO's reputation and ability to
remain on, and to alienate it from the regional host Thai security forces.
These unfriendly and detrimental activities have become unacceptable.

The purported importation of 5.7 million amphetamine tablets referred to
("for barter purposes of 4 wheel drive vehicles from Thailand, BKK Post, 25
June") in collusion with his half brother Mahaja and under his" Shan State
South Company" is totally false and in any case, not feasible. Our
President has categorically denied the above accusation, adding that he
himself did not return to the SPDC fold as did his brother Mahaja then in
the MTA ranks, and whose subsequent commercial dealings and concessions wer
granted by the SPDC alone, and did not include himself. Sao Mahasang has
lived in exile in Thailand for more than two decades, and would never
violate the trust or laws of the Royal Thai government.

Throughout the long years of our struggle for Democracy, it must be
admitted by nearly all ethnic groups concerned, including and especially
the current SSA and Wa leadership, that for all their elements to remain
free of drug entanglements is impossible, though such practices may be
contrary to their policies and wishes. In fact, reliance on revenue's from
some facet of the drug trade or another has almost become the norm for
many, if not most armed resistance groups.

Indeed, drug involvements have sadly and embarrasingly become and
unprecedented and disgraceful fact of life for us all, marring the lorious
history of our homeland and ancestors who preceded us. Let us now think
again, carefully, and get back to the important tasks facing us by joining
hands and helping each other instead of these useless, shameful and harmful
tactics which work against each other and our sacred objectives. Let us
once again see the SSA take a strong and positive stand, coordinated
closely with all the other Nationalities in this crucial moment of the
dawning of real Freedom and Democracy in our beloved Nation.