Department of Commerce July 19 on A

Subject: Department of Commerce July 19 on Aaron Trip to Asia

Text: Department of Commerce July 19 on Aaron Trip to Asia
(Under Secretary Aaron to Visit China, Korea, Japan)  (460)

Under Secretary for International Trade David Aaron will travel to
Beijing, Seoul and Tokyo July 26-30 to enhance the U.S. commercial
dialogue with key markets in the region, the Department of Commerce
said in a July 19 press release.

"Full Asian recovery will set us on the path toward strong global
economic growth, and China, Japan and South Korea are keys to Asian
recovery," Aaron said. "In each of these countries, and in every
sector, I will be pushing for greater market access for American
companies."

Following is the text of the press release:

(begin text)

JULY 19, 1999

COMMERCE SECRETARY DALEY ANNOUNCES
UNDER SECRETARY AARON TO TRAVEL TO CHINA, KOREA, JAPAN

Washington, D.C. -- Commerce Secretary William M. Daley announced
today that Under Secretary for International Trade David L. Aaron will
travel to Beijing, Seoul and Tokyo as part of an Asian trip to enhance
our commercial dialogue with key markets in the region.

Aaron will arrive in Beijing on July 26-27 for meetings with senior
Chinese trade and industry officials, including those from the
Ministry of Foreign Trade and International Cooperation. He will be
following up on issues discussed during the 12th session of the
US-China Joint Commission on Commerce and Trade in December of last
year as well as the highly successful Presidential Infrastructure
Mission led by Secretary Daley in March of this year.

"We hope this trip will improve our overall relationship with China,"
Daley said. "Re-energizing our commercial dialogue is an important
part of that process."

"China's commercial potential cannot be overstated," Aaron said. "We
welcome this opportunity to continue the dialogue that will allow
American firms fuller access to the enormous Chinese market."

In Seoul, South Korea on July 28, Aaron will meet with senior Korean
government officials and local U.S. industry representatives. He will
raise several ongoing bilateral trade issues, including steel imports
into the U.S., market access for pharmaceuticals and automobiles, and
corporate restructuring efforts.

In Tokyo on July 29-30, Aaron will lead the annual review of the
U.S.-Japan construction agreements which are the Major Projects
Agreement and the 1994 Action Plan. He will also discuss a wide range

of economic and commercial issues with Japanese Government officials
and Japanese and American business leaders.

"Full Asian recovery will set us on the path toward strong global
economic growth, and China, Japan and South Korea are keys to Asian
recovery," Aaron said. "In each of these countries, and in every
sector, I will be pushing for greater market access for American
companies."

(end text)

----