AFP-Thailand defends ASEAN over Mya

Subject: AFP-Thailand defends ASEAN over Myanmar

Thailand defends ASEAN over Myanmar
BANGKOK, July 26 (AFP) - Millions of Asians wanted to see positive political
development in military-run Myanmar but not if it meant the collapse of
ASEAN, Thailand's deputy foreign minister said Monday.
"ASEAN was establised on the principle of non-intervention and that is the
reason ASEAN has progressed this far over the last 32 years," Sukhumbhand
Paribatra told reporters.

"For ASEAN to abandon the principle and intervene in the affairs of member
countries in order to introduce democracy (could mean that) in the end there
may not be ASEAN."

He agreed the "majority of intellectual people" shared the aspirations of
Myanmar democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi but said that would not change the
Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) policy of non-interference in
members' internal affairs.

"Millions of people including this country, including myself, we share the
sentiment and concerns of Aung San Suu Kyi," he told reporters.

"There is nothing more the Thai people would like in Myanmar than a positive
political development taking place. I think this is beyond dispute.

"But sentiment is one thing ... to try to persuade ASEAN to intervene in the
domestic affairs of a fellow ASEAN member to promote the cause of democracy
is quite another all together."

The United States and the European Union (EU) have made it clear they want
ASEAN to be more pro-active in fostering democracy in Myanmar.

US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright told ASEAN foreign ministers in
Singapore on Monday that the junta's iron rule was a "threat" to the region
and urged Yangon to open dialogue with Aung San Suu Kyi.

Washington and the EU were strongly opposed to Myanmar joining ASEAN in July
1997.

The junta is widely condemned for gross human rights abuses and its refusal
to recognise the result of a 1990 election won by the National League for
Democracy (NLD) under Aung San Suu Kyi.

EU visa bans against top junta officials effectively block ASEAN from
attending talks in Europe.

But Sukhumbhand said ASEAN's policy of non-interference had to be respected
and was the only way the bloc could exert any collective influence over the
junta.

Earlier this month Aung San Suu Kyi said ASEAN's support was vital for to
struggle for democracy.

But the Nobel peace laureate accused ASEAN of hiding behind concepts like
"Asian values" and "non-interference" to avoid taking on the junta.

"The democratisation process in Burma can be accelerated if the
international community -- (ASEAN) in particular -- increases pressure on
the military regime," she wrote in an article for Thailand's Nation daily.

"We believe that support from ASEAN ... is crucial to our quest for
democracy."