Reply (r)

Dear Martin Smith

Greetings!

I accept and appreciate your thoughtful reply.

I agree with yours. However, in the ears and eyes of Burmese, "Daw Suu Kyi"
is an insult, not the name given by the military regime.

I was worried to read as such on the writings of respected Burma observer
like you. The suspicion was that you agreed with propaganda tool of
SLORC/SPDC.

"Daw Suu" is fine. "Suu Kyi" can be more comprehensible than "Daw Suu Kyi".
"Suu" means personally too close to her. Many Burmese become familial with
lacking "Daw" or "U".

When the first batch of Burmese students arrived in India in 1988, they
were asked if they knew "You Nu Takin"? They didn't know Indians correctly
pronounce "U" as "You". The questioner politician was disappointed when
nobody said "Yes". What young Burmese students knew was "Thakhin Nu" or "U
Nu".

Best wishes!

Tint Swe