Bkk post-Rangoon actions must match

Subject: Bkk post-Rangoon actions must match words

Bangkok Post Aug 1, 1999.
Editorial
Rangoon actions must match words

It is almost possible to understand the indignation voiced by Burma in the
face of the Thai accusations. No one appreciates having their faults and
shortcomings pointed out quite as bluntly as Thai military officers
criticised Burma. As last Sunday's Bangkok Post reported, senior military
sources were outspoken in their complaint about our western neighbour. Even
our Army commander, Gen Surayud Chulanont, questioned the logic of being
nice to Burma while the methamphetamine traffic created the greatest threat
to our national security and the future of our youth.

Burma was predictably outraged. Statements from Rangoon and from the Burmese
embassy in Bangkok claimed that Rangoon is strongly committed to a war
against drugs. It cited drug seizures made by Burmese authorities against
narcotics dealers inside Burma. Many Burmese army troops have died in combat
against drug warlords. Rangoon even spoke of its "noble total war against
narcotic drugs."There are two problems with this irritable Burmese reply to
the Bangkok Post reports. The first is that, contrary to Burma's denial,
there is ample evidence that the Rangoon regime colludes with drug
traffickers. The second is that Burma did not address the actual charges
made by the Thai military officers. Even our extremely diplomatic deputy
foreign minister, M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, suggested that Burma should
show some spirit in the anti-narcotics battle.

Problem One: The evidence of Burmese collusion is public and much of it
comes directly from Rangoon. The military junta, for the past 10 years and
for its own reasons, has made deals with several minority rebellions. These
include the so-called Red Wa, the former pro-communist group now known as
the United Wa State Army or UWSA, and its notorious leader Wei Hsueh-kang.
Wei is the leading drug trafficker of methamphetamines to Thai youths and
children.

Problem Two: Burma has seized drugs and fought drug gangs-no one disputes
this. It has wasted the lives of many soldiers as cannon fodder in
up-country battles.

It even has won ill-advised and premature praise from Thai diplomats for
such actions. But Burma has not seized drugs from the UWSA. It has not

arrested Khun Sa.

It is true that we only can speculate that the members of the Burmese junta
profit directly from the drugs trade. But after 11 years in power, there is
a huge collection of evidence against the junta, and against several
individual members. The carefully fuming statements of Burma against this
newspaper and Thai military officers simply failed to address why Burma
allows-encourages-cross-border drug trafficking by an internationally wanted
criminal from known areas of its country.

M.R. Sukhumbhand, Gen Surayud and Thai security officials have all made the
same point, and Burma has refused to address it, let alone correct it.
Everyone knows-this newspaper, Thai officials, the Burmese junta-the source
of millions of methamphetamine tablets and kilograms of heroin every week.
It is not secret; Burma has even bragged who is responsible.

The deals that Burma makes with its Burmese devils is that country's
business. It claims that those deals have ended minority rebellions. But
when those devils work to subvert our nation and our children, it is
decidedly Thailand's business. The Rangoon regime has done nothing, for
years, about ending the open, harmful drug trafficking which begins in Burma
and ends in Thailand.

Burma continues to encourage drug-dealing by the regional warlords it has
created. This trade has created the greatest threat to our national
security. Burmese action against it will be welcome. Refusal to act can only
be taken as unfriendly arrogance.