Multi-linear mediation towards a co

Subject: Multi-linear mediation towards a confidence building

Subject: Reply to U Okkar's postings on Burmanet-l & burmanet2-l
Reference: (1)Over 44,000 eligible voters of Tabayin express no
              confidence in U Win Myint Aung
           (2)Clarification issued by U Tun Shwe, former rep-elect
              from MoeNyo Constituency No.2

Sender: Dr. Khin Ni Ni Thein
Date: 2nd August 1999

Dear U Okkar,

Thank you very much for changing the subjects upon my request which
I have posted yesterday. However, I still think that I shall repost
my request with an additional remark. It is this. We shall recognize
the fact that 'NLD member's affair' is its 'Domestic affair'.

We, you plus many other non-NLD(s) and myself, should refrain
ourselves from posting such posts on behalf of the NLD member
if it is not a pleasant news. We Burmese ought to be polite and must
take the pride in it. It is a distinct culture of Burmese people.

For example, we Burmese never talk about 'divorce' of a couple
during their domestic struggle. If and when the process reaches the
decision to divorce (though some cases end as a happy reunion), some
announce their new marital status in the newspaper or declare by the
word of mouth to friends and family. Even then we still refrain
ourselves from asking or discussing about such 'unpleasant things' in
public. Instead, we just noted the new status. It is a great manner we
Burmese hold highly and are always proud of. Let us please demonstrate
together, pro-democracy and pro-military alike, how can 'we' be
'reunited' by exercising our 'true Burmese culture' despite the fact
that 'we' hold the OPPOSITE opinion on the political issue and
DIFFERENT opinions on the economic and development issues.

My additional remark to your latest postings is that "one should
not post the divorce announcement on behalf of the NLD member since
one is a distinct opposition to the NLD". It might even lead to the
thought that one is 'the cause of that divorce'. One should be very
careful and sincere in one's words, thoughts and deeds alike from
the beginning to the end according to the Dhamma taught by the Lord
Buddha!

My yesterday posting reads as follows and I would be most grateful if
you can discuss about it with me.

Yesterday posting begins here:
Having read Burmanet-l and Burmanet2-l on my arrival, I have
something to say positively!

The trip (my mission) was about a low level mediation. As 'we'(you
are included in this 'we') all know, our country's affair is our
affair. Each of us has to work/try as much as one can in one's own
capacity in order to create PEACE and DEVELOPMENT in Burma. That's
why I did this trip. It was very simple.

According to me, 'the trip/mission' was promising due to the
following reasons:-

(a) both parties did not critisize each other.
(b) both parties focused on ONE and ONLY issue using a
    HOLISTIC approach.
(c) both parties refrained from exercising mischievous means.
(d) both parties strived to show great respect and courtesy
    towards each other.
(e) both parties used the carefully chosen vocabulary in the most
    polite/appropriate manner during the discussions both formal and
    informal.
(f) both parties eagerly practised HONESTY and TRANSPARENCY in order
    to establish a foundation for a most needed confidence building.
(g) both parties tried their utmost in listening what the other said.

Hence, the result was promising if not positive.

Having said that may I humbly request you to follow the above
mentioned principles while you post your postings on Burma Net(s)
and everywhere.

To be specific, may I request you to refrain yourself from posting
such posts as the following one for the sake of the confidence
building between TWO CAMPS, the prodemocracy and the military?
It will greatly contribute to the many foreseeable
multi-linear low-level-discussions/mediations/forums and will
ultimately facilitate/promote the political {the highest level}
dialogues. Thanking you in advance.
[Posting ends here.]

May you be happy, healthy and having a long life by the power
of the triple GEM.

Dr. Khin Ni Ni Thein
WRTC
The Water, Research and Training Centre (WRTC) for a new Burma is
a non-governmental, non-profit, educational foundation, explicitly
apolitical in nature, working for the Burmese peoples by promoting
and improving their access to research and training opportunities
and education in the water and rural sector in Burma and abroad.
P.O. Box 118, 2600 AC Delft, The Netherlands.

http://wrtcburma.org
Tel. +31-15-2151814, Fax +31-15-214 39 22, E-mail nin@xxxxxx