NLD LEADERS TELL ARMY MEN: LET'S WO (r)

Subject: NLD LEADERS TELL ARMY MEN: LET'S WORK TOGETHER

August 7, 1999

NLD LEADERS TELL ARMY MEN: LET'S WORK TOGETHER

In a Burmese-language radio message released in time for the 11th
anniversary of the 8888 uprising, NLD leaders U Tin Oo and Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi called for the Tadmadaw (army) to work with the people to achieve
democracy. NLD General Secretary Daw Aung San Suu Kyi invited army men to
communicate with the party to clear up any misunderstandings while party
Vice-Chairperson U Tin Oo assured soldiers that they would benefit from a
democratic system.

FULL TEXT OF UNOFFICIAL TRANSLATION FOLLOWS:

Message to Tadmadaw
>>From U Tin Oo
Vice-Chairperson, National League for Democracy

I am the vice-chairperson of the National League for Democracy. I want to
speak with goodwill from my heart. I studied in National High School until
I graduated. My patriotic and military thinking was formed through the
teachings of the school principal and the teachers. Through the Students
Union, I learnt about Bogyoke (General) Aung San's efforts in the struggle
for independence; this inspired me to be actively involved in independence
struggle.

I was a private when the Burma Defence Army was formed. I attended the
Third Course at the Defence Service Academy. It's very hard to express how
difficult the training was. It was our belief in the independence struggle
that helped us to complete the rigorous training. During that time Bogyoke
Aung San and the chief of staff frequently came to the training. Their
talks boosted our morale and won our hearts. After graduating from the DSA,
I was assigned to Major Ba Htoo's command, under very hard and
life-threatening conditions in the Northwest. At this time I was first
introduced to the hardship of battle. We waged the anti-fascist struggle.
We did not get any salary or support. We were so poor but we were happy.

This is because the people treated us as they would their own children. We
(soldiers) did not burden the people. We respected the people as our own
our mothers and fathers. When the Tadmadaw was reformed in accordance with
the Kanney Agreement, Bogyoke made the classic example not to mix up party
politics with the military.

We served (in the Tadmadaw) according to the teachings of Bogyoke and the
experiences we gained through the history. We followed it as the principles
of the soldiers. The soldiers have to stay clear from party politics.
Military men must work only as soldiers. It is not true that we need to

have very large number of soldiers. We need ability and quality.

In the parliamentary democracy era after independence, it was very joyful
to work in a Tadmadaw that safeguarded democracy. Democracy brings benefits
to the majority of the people as well as the Tadmadaw. Achieving democracy
will not hurt the soldiers; instead it will benefit them.

>>From my experience I clearly see and deeply believe that only democracy can
bring about freedom and peace. Therefore I wish to say with love and loving
kindness that I want the Tadmadaw to be modernised and developed, a
Tadmadaw that will safeguard democracy, a Tadmadaw which respects the
people as their mothers and fathers and is loved by the people. Thank you.

Message to Tadmadaw
>>From Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
General Secretary, National League for Democracy

The national leaders of Burmese independence established our country as a
democratic country. The people and the army fought hand in hand for our
independence. It is also necessary that the army and the people work hand
in hand to achieve democracy, where the people govern the country. There is
no question that the people's government will honour the role of Tadmadaw
men (soldiers).

There are people who try to break the goodwill between the NLD and the
Tadmadaw. They claim that the NLD does not work in the interests of the
nation, that the NLD does not work in the interests of the Tadmadaw.
However, we are the ones who consistently want to see the Tadmadaw restored
to a position of honour. We want to see the Tadmadaw gain the goodwill of
the people. Therefore, we think that our Tadmadaw should to work in the
interests of the people to achieve democracy.

The country will have peace and development only when the people and
Tadmadaw are in agreement. The Tadmadaw is not a group from other country,
so we sometimes cannot agree when people refer to the Tadmadaw and the
people as separate. Tadmadaw men come from the people.

It is also inappropriate to create misunderstandings between Tadmadaw and
politicians. It is necessary to have understanding between the politicians
who shape the government and the Tadmadaw, which is responsible for the
security of the country. We are constantly trying to achieve this
understanding.

In the National League for Democracy, we have high-ranking officers whom
once served in the Burma Army. We in the NLD understand very well the needs
of the Tadmadaw. We also want the Tadmadaw to know what we are trying to do
for our country. To achieve this understanding we need to have the freedom
to communicate and discuss. We are always ready to explain our position to
those who claim the NLD is the enemy of the country, enemy of the Tadmadaw.
If Tadmadaw men have any queries, they can always ask us. We will answer
truthfully and openly.

Burma gained her independence more than fifty years ago. However despite
being independent for more than fifty years, Burma is not as developed as
it should be. This is because we do not have unity in our country. We all
need to work together to achieve it. It cannot be done by one side only.
Everybody must have the will to achieve unity. This is why I request the

people and the Tadmadaw men of our country to work together to build a
democratic country.

ENDS

A L T S E A N - B U R M A
Alternative Asean Network on Burma