CNC's QUADRUPLE EIGHT STATEMENT

        STATEMENT  ON 11th ANNIVERSARY OF 8/ 8/ 88 (QUADRUPLE  EIGHT)

On this historical and memorable day in our struggle for democracy in Burma,
the oppressed and the poor from every nook and corner of our country took part
to protest against the dictatorial rule for over a period of more than a
quarter of a century.  It is not an exaggeration to say that a generation is
lost in the hands of ruthless military junta.  This event since that time took
the headlines in news media and being recorded as one of the greatest and just
struggle of humanity against inequality and injustice in any form.

This momentous uprising began from an ordinary, seemingly innocuous event as
result of the dispute between university students and a group of laymen at a
teashop in one of the suburban areas of Rangoon, the Capital of Burma.
However, the military resorted to brutal suppression of students who stood for
fair and just settlement of the dispute.  This led to subsequent
demonstrations, bloodshed, gang rapes by the security forces including prison
guards and innmerable arrest of University students all over the country.  The
Rangoon University campus and its beautiful surroundings were tainted with the
blood spillage of the students shot down by the machineguns of the military
who
have not yet learned to settle the disputes peacefully and justly.  The people
all over the country became unbearable, restless and finally took to the
streets on 8/ 8/ 88 to protest for the end of the military rule and demanded
the establishment of multiparty democracy.

This is actually a symptom or a phenomenon in general of a deep seated, hidden
disease mistrust between the Burmans and other Nationals as a result of
negligence and violations of the rights of other Nationals by the successive
governments ruled by mainly Burmans after the independence from the
British.  As
a results of these inhumane and unjust acts, the civil war broke out and
continues even today, spanning over a period of half a century.  Our
country is
rather like a family where brothers killed their own, raped their own sisters
and tortured their own kith and kin since after the independence.  This is the
political basis or the root cause of social, economic and cultural crises in
present day Burma being haunted by lack of freedom, democracy and
violations of
human rights under the military dictatorship.

Therefore, Chin National Council will stand firmly and steadfastly in the just
struggle to get rid of any dictators who create m,istrust and discord amongst
all the brother of this country.  It is our determined and ultimace goal to
restore self determination rights of all nationals in the country we considet
this task as an unavoidable, historic and national cause.  Each and every
individual national will live freely and unite peacefully to bulid a future
society a federal union based on mutual understanding, respect for equal
rights
and trust amongst all the nationals.  We make a vow on this special day
that in
building a peaceful and prosperous soviety in the future, we will join hands
together with all other nationals through various non-violent means and
approaches.

To all respected and dear Nationals let us continue our just struggle with
unswerving devotion and persevere to scale up our momentum of the struggle!

Chin National Council
New Delhi
Dated:Auguest 8,1999.ÿÿ?