Australia-Melbourne: Statement on 8

Subject: Australia-Melbourne: Statement on 8888

"Statement on 11th Anniversary of 8.8.88
Nationwide pro-democracy movement in Burma"

Melbourne, Victoria State, Australia

Today's gathering of Burmese community and pro-democracy activists is to
commemorate the 11th anniversary of the nationwide General Uprising to end
the military dictatorship and to restore democracy and human rights in
Burma. During the student-led demonstrations in 1988, millions of people
including academics, monks, students, farmers and workers joined the
peaceful demonstration and that led to the disposals of three subsequent
military governments.

Our uprising was brutally oppressed by the massacre resulting in loss of
thousands of lives and the military coup on the September 18th followed by
the establishment of the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC).

The ruling State Peace and Development Council (SPDC), the former military
council under the disguise of its new name, continues to deny 1990 election
results and failed to take due processes to hand over power to the winning
party, the National League for Democracy. SPDC still holding its denial to
recognise the Committee Representing Peoples Parliament which is formed on
the mandates of all the elected parliamentarians in the 1990 election as a
highest legitimate authority of Burma.

Burma remains under the military rule, and the people are denied peace and
basic human rights. Thousands of political prisoners including near-200
elected parliamentarians, students and members of NLD are held in detention.
Under the brute military forces, the people of Burma continue to strive for
the restoration of democracy.

We are here today to commemorate the 11th anniversary of this historic day
and to express our strong support for the struggle for democracy that
continues in Burma. In solidarity with the movements in Burma, we firmly
pledge to take our part for the cause in Australia and to work in harmony
with the other democratic organisations in the border areas and broader
international communities as well.

We are determined to achieve international support, diplomatic and economic
pressure against the military regime. We will work together with other
Australian and international organisations and individuals that share this
common cause for democracy and human rights.

We strongly demand the State Peace and Development Council (SPDC):

- unconditional and immediate release of all political prisoners including
student leader
  Min  Ko Naing

- To engage in positive and meaningful dialogue with the National League for
  Democracy towards the peaceful solution to the decades long political
crisis in Burma

- To recognise the Committee Representing People's Parliament as the highest
  legitimate body of Burma

We strongly urge the Australian Federal and State Governments

- To impose economic sanction on the SPDC.

- To recognise the CRPP as the highest legitimate body of Burma

- To take Australian initiatives in the international community towards the
peaceful
  solution of the political crisis in Burma through the Ministry of Foreign
Affairs and its
  offices

[Burmese Community in Australia]

All Burma Students? Democratic Front (Australia branch)
All Burma Students? Democratic Organisation (ABSDO) Australia
National League for Democracy (Librated Area) Australia
Burmese Writers & Journalists Association (Australia)
Burmese Women Union in Australia
Burma Support Group (Melbourne, Australia)
Australia Burma Society
Committee for Restoration Democracy in Burma (VIC)
Karen Youths Organisation (VIC)