NEWS - Australia Tests New Approach

Subject: NEWS - Australia Tests New Approach to Junta

Australia Tests New Approach to Junta
BANGKOK, (Aug. 6) IPS - Australia is the latest country to try to find a
breakthrough to improve Burma's human rights record, this time by
discussing "human rights training" for the country's public officials.

This represents a new approach by Australia to Burma, which has
traditionally been wary of foreign governments, especially western ones,
preaching to it.

Diplomats and Burmese human rights groups gave only cautious approval to
the Australian proposals, announced this week by Australia's human
rights commissioner Chris Sidoti.

Sidoti announced details of the plans Thursday, after a four-day visit
to Rangoon where he held talks with senior government officials as well
as opposition leader, Aung San Suu Kyi's deputy, Tin Hlaing.

"The government of Myanmar (Burma) is interested in exploring possible
exchange and cooperation for human rights training for government
officials and the police," he told a Sydney press conference.

"It is action, rather than words, that will prove or disprove the value
of this project," he said.

Burma's junta or the State Peace and Development Council, which marks
its 11th anniversary on Sunday, also announced the decision soon after
Sidoti had completed his visit to Rangoon.

In an official statement, the military government described the talks as
"frank, cordial and fruitful" resulting in "better understanding and
cooperation in the field of human rights".

But Burmese human rights groups, diplomats and Thai-Burma border refugee
workers were guarded in their comments on this week's discussion on
rights, fearing Australia's move may be used by military junta as
propaganda.

Also discussed with the junta was Australia's proposal for a human
rights commission, initially raised by Australian Foreign Minister
Alexander Downer a year ago.

He again raised the issue with his Burmese counterpart, Win Aung, at the
July ministerial meeting in Singapore of the Association of South-east
Asian Nations (ASEAN). Rangoon was admitted as an ASEAN member two years
ago.

The London-based Burma Campaign director, Yvette Mahon, said the main
risk was the possibility of the Burmese junta "setting up the commission
to sop the critics as another propaganda tool."

"(But)if its an independent commission and has the sanction of the NLD
(National League for Democracy) we wouldn't object," Mahon said in a
telephone interview.

But she doubted the commission would have independence: "I would be
extremely surprised if any commission would be independent and have a
free reign."

"My concern is that it might be pure propaganda on the part of the
regime. I'd be very cynical about it. We would have to see what the NLD
(opposition National League for Democracy) says before we welcomed it,"
she said.

A senior Bangkok-based Burmese refugee aid worker, who asked not to be
identified, said that given the scale of human rights abuses in Burma
"it seems impossible" for the proposals to succeed.

"When have abuses everyday on a scale, what does (having an independent
commission) mean?" he asked.

But at the same time, "after months of political stalemate (in Burma)
perhaps something can come of it. It is a good thing, at least there is
some discussion," he added.

"But you should not read too much into (the proposal) or be too
dismissive," the aid worker said. "It just seems impossible (the junta)
could be sincere about it."

On the other hand, a Bangkok-based diplomat with responsibilities
covering Burma said, "how can a low level training course for Burmese
police be exploited by the regime?"

Sidoti's visit comes after a similar low-key visit to Rangoon by a
European Union (EU) delegation in July.

As such visits continue however, some international campaigners for
reforms in Burma say the time has come for a discussion of "new
strategies" given the lack of progress in political dialogue between the
junta and the NLD.

"We have seen very little success so far," conceded Helle Degn, a Danish
member of parliament who is co-chair of the Norway-based International
Network of Political Leaders Promoting Democracy in Burma (PD Burma).

"There has absolutely been no contact, no dialogue between the regime
and the opposition," she said at a press conference Friday in the
Philippine capital of Manila.

"We've got to find some or another way of dialogue out of the present
solution," Degn said, adding that the network will be discussing how to
step up lobbying efforts along with Burmese exiles and campaigners in a
meeting in Bangkok on Aug. 13.

She also said ASEAN must do more to try to push the junta toward
political dialogue, because Burma is turning out to be a the "weak link"
in the organization.

"Regional stability depends on all links in this chain," Degn explained.
"I think it will affect the whole region if there is a negative outcome
in the change of political stability in Burma and it would harm the
whole of ASEAN."