16/8/99:BURMA DRUG REPORT BY PROF.D (r)

Subject: 16/8/99:BURMA DRUG REPORT BY PROF.DESMOND BALL

WRITTEN 16-AUG-99, 6:00AM.

BURMA DRUG REPORT BY PROF DESMOND BALL

I felt almost fallen ill as I read Professor Desmond Ball's recent
report on "BURMA AND DRUG: The Regime's Complicity in the Global Drug
Trade". The paper make an extremely serious allegation about direct
involvement by top SPDC/SLORC officers in heroine trafficking and
production and sales of amphetamine-type tablets.

ACTIVISTS, JOURNALIST AND
ACADEMICS: DIFFERENCE IN REPORTING MERITS

Although there were discussion amongst activist circle about the
possible involvement of senior Burmese military officers in drug trade,
since the logistics is difficult to all activists, we have never been
able to find any concrete evidence. Journalists, on the other hand, do
have some resource/connection to find out the possible leads to the
junta's trafficking problems. For example, reporters such Mr Bertil
Lintner and some from the Geopolitical Drug Watch, over the years, have
extensively reported the Burmese military personnel's direct involvement
in drug traffickings. Nevertheless, these journalists are considered
staunchly anti-junta and pro-democracy and therefore, their testimonies
has to be treated with proper caution.

Current drug report by Professor Desmond Ball not only comes from
academic quarters, but also describe in detail of top military officers
involving in drug trade as follows (allegation are too serious here and
I therefore deleted names):

	(BEGIN.EXCERPT)"[M]any of the top General in the SLORC/SPDC have
benefitted personally and directly from drug trafficking activities.
Some such as XX-1, have organised their own shares in drug
production and movement operations. Others have made lucrative deals
with various drug gangsters, both those 'retired'in Rangoon and those
controlling the operations in the border areas, involving the proceeds
from 'money laundering'. The relationship between YY-1 and Khun Sa is
probably of this sort.

The second-in-command of the SPDC, General XX-2, who is also
Commander-in-Chief of the Army, has extensive drug connections. Before
he became Vice-Chairman on 31 March 1993 he was commander of the Eastern
Command, based in Taunggyi, where he commanded one of the main durg
production ares.

XX-1, the No.3 man, probably has the most extensive drug
connecitons. AS the chief architect of the ceasefire for opium
production exchange agreements with the former insurgent groups, he
ensured himself a share of their drug profits. His Military Intelligence
(MI) network is used to expedite passage of drug shipments both through
northern Burma and across the various borders. For example, MI
Detachment 17 in Sagaing Division is involved in the passage of heroin
into India. XX-1s closest personal relationships are with Lo
Hsing-han to whom he gave special trafficking privileges in 1993; and,
more recently, Lin Min-shing (Lin Mingxian), who is based at Mong La
opposite Yunnan, and who is now ( since the retirements of Lo Hsing-han
and Khun Sa) the most powerful drug warlord in Burma. In addition to his
heroin interests, XX-1 has recently acquired shares in five
amphetamine laboratories in areas controlled by Lin Min-shing near Mong
La.

Other members of the SPDC who have direct and important drug connections
are the No.4, Lieutenant General XX-3, who is officially titled
Secretary (2) of the Council, and who is part-owner of two heroin
refineries, at Murng Kerng and Kaesee(Kesi) in central Shan State:
Bragadier General ZZ-1, who is now Commander of the Southeast
command (based at Moulmein), but who in 1995-97 was the tactical
operations commandeer in the Mong Ton area of the Traangle Region
Command, where he was paid large bribes to protect the herion refineries
around Mong Ton, Mong Taw and Mong Tha."(END.EXCERPTS)

Recalling one decade ago when I was in Burma, I have heard things about
military/MI convoys were involved, not in trafficking heroin, but in
some Jade/Gemstone blackmarket operations. Given the magnitude of
lawlessness as is now in Burma, it is entirely possible that the
allegation of traffickings by military and involvements of top military
leaders in it may be well founded.

POLITICAL(HUMAN RIGHTS) AND SECURITY ISSUE

As the Burmese opposition activists, we do engage in a daily campaign
for reconciliation with the military junta, no matter one considered how
heinous of their 'human rights crimes' against the Burmese people. The
junta leader's involvement in drug trafficking, however, are not human
rights issues: it is considered a downright criminal activity. The issue
is critically international security issue on which we (the opposition
activists outside) or National League for Democracy will have not much
influence to say. As the allegation has been extremely serious, we must
certainly draw it to the attention of UN Security Council and
influential governments.

Burma observers would have well noticed that last July the Thai military
officials expressing concerns about Burmese army's involvement in drug
trade and Canadian Foreign ministers offers for cooperation. Hopefully,
it is not too late for junta to come clean of its drug involvements and
immediately cooperate with international community and opposition NLD to
resolve the issues.

With best regards, U Ne Oo.
--
HTTP://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~uneoo