Prayer of Mothers for the Lost (r)

Prayer of Mothers for the Lost

We, the women in the Burmese Women's Union, believe we must participate in the
upcoming 9999 mass
campaign in any way we can. It is important to us to express the Burmese
people's desires. Therefore, we would like
to appeal to the mothers of Burma who have lost their beloved children, either
through tragic and untimely death or forced exile, to hold a memorial prayer
ceremony every week in their honour.

Throughout these unrelentingly trouble ridden years in our country, thousands
of
families have and continue to embrace piercing grief and remorse because of
civil wars
and social upheavals. In this circumstance, it is especially the mothers who
suffer and endure deep emotion and confusion because their children have been
lost and have disappeared.

These mothers are bearing an unrelievable burden which solidifies heavily in
their hearts.  A burden that is without recouse for help or relief. Some
mothers have become emaciated and eventually died from the strength of their
greif for their beloved ones. It is certain that every mother can sympathize
and share the feelings of these women.

Our intention is to encourage mothers to pray for peace in Burma through
sharing their grief and
praying for their lost, missing and far-way children. We encourage the
participation, not only the mothers of the children who have been taken away
during Burma's democratic struggle and national liberation movements, but also
the mothers of the children serving in the regime's army who are deceased,
have
disappeared or have been handicapped.

In Burmese, there is a quality or mindframe which mothers develop to "overcome
every hardship". We call this "mother's mind." Just as the mother rat can pass
through the electric wire to get to her babies, the mother's spirit is highly
powerful and profoundly innouvative. Such a quality can never be found even in
the most cunning dictators. Thus, we, the women of Burma, should defy the
brutal dictators through peaceful ways with our innouvative mother's
spirit, by
praying for the restoration of peace in Burma.

When peace does not prevail and tranquility and security do not exist, mothers
live enflamed by sorrow. We have longed for peace for a long time already.
This
should be the time our wishes for a happy and peaceful family life should be
met. We should offer our efforts as families or individuals .

So we, the Burmese Women Union, strongly urge mothers in Burma to offer up a
"prayer of mothers for the lost" every week at their respective religious
place
of worship.

Central Working Committee
Burmese Women?s Union