Violence

So 9-9-99 is significant and all Burmese people rise up and bring democracy
Burma. It is quite simple. Or is it?

We all know that situation in Burma is very unsatisfactory. No Brownie points
for describing it. All of us want to overthrow the government. We all sick
and
tired of seeing men in uniforms. There is no need to take people out to the
streets to make a point. We had done this several times and failed. People in
Burma, I dare say, the ruling people too, suffer from frustration, anger and
unhappiness, would like to cry their hearts out and look for a saviour.

A general public thought that if the government committed atrocities to its
people, the whole world would be on their side and do something about it.
That
was the idea behind people daring the guns and sacrifice lives in front of
foreign embassies in Rangoon. Too much reliance was placed on powerful
nations
in the West. The horrific pictures of people being shot at, televised
speeches
of Daw Aung Sun Suu Kyi and other leaders of opposition had successfully been
smuggled out of Burma and shown on the world's media.  The whole world saw
it,
condemned the military government, calling names and put on sanctions. What
is
the end result?  People get poorer and the military gets stronger. The
reason is

quite simple. Burmese military government's mentor is China. Burma is able to
isolate from the whole world because of it. I do not see any country in the
world would take the head on collision course with China to rescue Burmese
People. Therefore, it is quite clear that the only Burmese can save Burma.

Shouting on the streets of Rangoon or London or anywhere in the world would
not
bring democracy to Burma. If angry people take to the streets, violence and
lawlessness ensue. We must avoid this at any cost. We need brains, not
muscles.

I have my greatest admiration for Daw Aung Sun Suu Kyi for her personal
sacrifices. I am wondering about her strategy and the purpose of remaining in
Burma. I wish she comes out of Burma and unites with her alliances abroad. I
think this is the only way she can lead us somewhere.

Khin Maung Myint

Your speedy FREE email & Myanmar(Burma) Resources - http://www.myanmars.net