[no subject]

--------------3079FDE80A6934AAEDFB7067

I wonder how Mr. Ramos can say that "replacing an authoritarian regime is
relatively easy" when history has shown that it takes great suffering,
courage and great personal risk for people power to ultimately triumph.
Sure, the change is always dificult, evident in the case of post communist
Russia and transitional Indonesia. I personally maintain that the worst
democracy is better than the best dictatorship.

Richard A. Myint.

suriya wrote:

>                      a s i a w e e k  m i l l e n n i u m  s p e c i a l
>
>           CHALLENGE TO THE FREE
>
> Ending repression was easy; now we must defend freedom
>
>                              By Fidel V. Ramos
>
> OVER THE NEXT 20 years, Asia's weight in the world will
> increase as its economies emerge from financial crisis and its
> political systems become more people-empowered. In 1992 the
> World Bank had projected that by 2020, six Asian economies would
> be among the 10 largest in the world. Just now, this expectation seems
> hopelessly optimistic. Yet, Asia's fundamentals remain sound, and I,
> for one, believe it is likely to become a power- house of economic
> vigor once again.
>
> Meanwhile, Taiwan, South Korea and Thailand have shed generations
> of military rule. Indonesia has just held its first free election in 44
> years. Even in China, the "softening" of totalitarianism seems well
> along. In Beijing and the provinces, distinct power centers are
> emerging whose interplay impinge more and more on the making of
> public policy. A greater diversity of political interests seems
> unavoidable in China's future ñ and its rulers realize it. That is why
> they are suppressing individual dissent so firmly.
>
> Replacing authoritarian regimes with representative systems was
> relatively easy. But the rule of the people does not necessarily mean
> good government. While democracy's trappings ñ elections,
> parliaments, free newspapers, independent judiciaries ñ are easy to
> assemble, making them work properly for common people requires a
> long learning process. In a society of "big people" and "small
> people," the common folk often have extravagant expectations of
> government. Thus, a 1993 survey found 85% of Filipino respondents
> saying it is government's obligation to provide jobs for everyone; and
> 84% saying it is the state's task to provide a decent income for all.
>
> It appears that democracy develops best where it develops
> incrementally ñ with gradual but consistent reforms in the political
> and civic landscape instigated by economic change. In the West,
> electorates were enfranchised gradually. It took the British almost 150
> years to develop a middle-class Parliament. By contrast, the advent of
> democracy in the Third World has been telescoped. In relative terms,
> Asian politics is still where Britain was when rotten boroughs were
> bought and sold. Consider how complicated just counting and
> validating the returns for last June's parliamentary elections has
> proved to be in Indonesia.
>
> I see making democracy work for the benefit of ordinary people as
> Asia's biggest challenge over the next 20 years. Fortunately,
> democracy has become part of the spirit of the new millennium. Even
> authoritarian regimes claim they are acting on behalf of their captive
> peoples. And, even more fortunately, there are outside forces to shore
> up Asian democracy where it falters. Foremost among these is the
> [...]

begin:          vcard
fn:             Richard Myint
n:              Myint;Richard
org:            Myint Family
adr;dom:        31349 Santa Cruz Way;;;Union City;CA;94587;
email;internet: ramyint@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;home:       510-429-8442
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE