Window on Burma #19

BINA  -- The Burma Independent News Agency  --

Window on Burma  #19

(From ?The History of Burmese Democracy? (Special Insert), Mojo #6,
September 1999)

STRATEGY FOR THE BRILLIANT 9999 MOVEMENT:
MOVING ON TO VICTORY WITH THE SPIRIT OF 8888

No Need to Fear for 9-9-99, Only Eliminate Those who would Destroy the
Movement

[by Moe Thee Zone]

If we examine the success of democracy movements in various countries
during the post Cold War era, we can see four main points for success: (1)
the numerical strength of the masses, (2) their level of organization, (3)
international pressure, and (4) the attitude of the army.

Proof of the success of such movements in the 1980's and 1990's can be seen
today in countries like Indonesia, the Philippines, South Africa, Russia,
and other countries of Eastern Europe.  But what happened in Burma?

In the 8-8-88 Burmese democracy movement, we had the strength of large
numbers of people, but without strong leadership to organize it.
Furthermore, the international community at that time was still unaware of
the real situation inside Burma.  And finally, we had no support from the
army.  These missing elements prevented the immediate success of the 8-8-88
movement.

The situation is very different today, and people everywhere are discussing
the 9-9-99 Movement.  The energy that was missing in 8-8-88 is available
for us now.  We have strong leadership from Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and all
the elected parliamentary delegates.  The international community is very
aware of the Burmese problem, and most countries are helping the democracy
movement.  We have been given social welfare, health and education
services, organizational training, and political support from other
countries and the UN.

These are some of the fruits of the 8-8-88 uprising.  Because of the
support and privileges we have been given since then, it is our duty now to
create the 9-9-99 Movement.

Furthermore, army personnel today are suffering from severe economic
pressure due to the bad policies of the government.  The Military
Intelligence is doubtful as to whether the army will hold together during
the 9-9-99 Movement.

Our UG ["underground"] workers in Rangoon have talked at length with
military officers concerning the 9999 Movement and the results we can
expect.  We can see that our best chance for getting the support of the
army is to try to work together with General Maung Aye, and support him
against Khin Nyunt.  If Maung Aye stands firmly on the side of the people,
we will be able to drive out Khin Nyunt, and the dignity of the army, which
has fallen so low under MIS control, will be restored.

The principal unknown factor is the numerical strength and unity of the
mass of the people.  Without this strength and unity, there can be no
success for 9999.  It is the strength of the mass that the enemies of
democracy fear most, and this is why they are violently opposing the 9999
Movement.

Our strategy for 9999 is based on our experiences from 8888.  The Military
Intelligence operators will do everything they can to destroy the 9999
uprising.  Having been given training and orders to destroy us, they will
behave in typical fascist manner, seeking to create dissention and fights
between the various religious and ethnic groups among the Burmese
population.  The USDA and other military-controlled organizations will
rally against the 9999 movement, to build public support for the army's
violence.  The MI has already taken special security measures to protect
the army VIPs' homes and properties, and troops are positioned to attack
peaceful 9999 demonstrations.

We, the democracy forces, will never retreat from our decision to proceed
with the 9999 Movement.  We must be vigilant, nevertheless, that our
demonstrations and actions remain peaceful and well organized, and that the
people are courageous and united.  To those who dare to fight for truth and
justice will go the victory.  This is the lesson we need to give to the
dictators of the world.

Like 8888, 9999 will never disappear.  Like a ruby, the harder you try to
rub out the will of the people, the more brilliantly it shines forth.
Therefore, if we believe in democracy, we need not fear the enemy's
bragging and propaganda about crushing 9999.  We need only to welcome the
9999 Movement completely and enthusiastically.

**********************************
WHAT IS MOJO?

MoJo means "Thunderbolt" in Burmese.  MoJo is an independent newspaper from
the Burmese community in Thailand.  Its primary content is social,
political, and economic news from all over Burma, and its intended readers
are the people inside Burma itself.

BINA will regularly provide English-language excerpts from MoJo to the
BurmaNet.  If you would like to receive a Burmese-language MoJo newspaper
by post, please send your postal address to bina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Dialogue is inevitable.  We will not just sit and wait.  We will continue
doing what has to be done."
NLD General Secretary Daw Aung San Suu Kyi