The BurmaNet News: September 1, 199 (r)

Subject: The BurmaNet News: September 1, 1999

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
 "Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: September 1, 1999
Issue #1349

Noted in Passing: "Like a ruby, the harder you try to rub out the will of
the people, the more brilliantly it shines forth." - Moe Thee Zun(see BINA:
MOVING ONTO VICTORY WITH THE SPIRIT OF 8888)

HEADLINES:
==========
THE NATION: JUNTA DENIES CLOSING SCHOOLS
REUTERS: EXILES SAY 29 FACE 7 YEARS HARD LABOUR
REUTERS: 6 MYANMAR STUDENTS HELD OVER LEAFLETS
AFP: JUNTA ACCUSES SUU KYI OF "MENTAL ATROPHY"
BINA: MOVING ONTO VICTORY WITH THE SPIRIT OF 8888
SHRF: FORCED LABOUR SITUATION IN CENTRAL SHAN STATE

THE NATION: JUNTA DENIES CLOSING SCHOOLS

Agence France-Presse

Bangkok -- Burma's military rulers denied yesterday that they would close
schools throughout the country, amid calls by dissidents for a mass
uprising next month.

In a statement the All Burma Students' Democratic Front (ABSDF) said the
junta planned to close schools during the first two weeks of September in
an effort to quell support for a mass uprising on Sept. 9.

"This unscheduled holiday includes all students from primary school level
through to postgraduates," an ABSDF statement said.

The vast majority of universities have been closed since unrest in 1996 and
have traditionally been a hotbed of political opposition to the junta.

[BurmaNet Editor's Note: The regime "unofficially" closed the schools
during and after the December, 1996 protests with no explanation.  The
schools were reopened for examinations then closed down again.  Although
the new school year usually begins in June, in 1997, the schools did not
re-open that year until August.  Students were given no explanation as to
the closings.  Another common tactic by the regime to close the schools
without declaring them closed is to say that teachers have several weeks of
training to attend, making it impossible for classes to meet.]

However, a statement from the junta said "the news that schools will be
closed in the beginning of September is not true."

[ ... ]

REUTERS: MYANMAR EXILES SAY 29 FACE SEVEN YEARS HARD LABOUR

BANGKOK, Aug 27 (Reuters) - Myanmar dissidents in exile said on Friday that
29 students who took part in an anti-government protest earlier this month
had been charged under an emergency law and faced jail terms of up to seven
years with hard labour.

The All Burma Students' Democratic Front said the 29 -- aged between 14 and
23 -- were arrested after a protest against the ruling military in the
southern Myanmar town of Mergui on August 12.

It said another demonstration was reported to have occurred in the town on
August 16, when students demanded the release of those detained and more
were arrested.

"We understand that several more were arrested but we don't know the exact
number," ABSDF general secretary Aung Thu Nyein told Reuters.

Officials of Myanmar's military government were unavailable for immediate
comment.

The government has said it arrested 36 people in connection with activities
to instigate unrest on September 9, 1999 -- the so-called "four nines day"
-- when dissidents in exile have called for an uprising against military
rule.

It said 19 people, including 17 high school students, were being questioned
in Mergui following the demonstration there.

Dissident groups in exile say more than 150 people have been arrested this
month in connection with the uprising call.

The dissidents picked four nines days for its numerical significance after
"four eights day" -- August 8, 1988 -- which saw the start of a nationwide
uprising for democracy crushed by the military that year.

REUTERS: SIX MYANMAR STUDENTS HELD OVER LEAFLETS

BANGKOK, Aug 31 (Reuters) - Myanmar dissidents in exile said on Tuesday
their country's military rulers had arrested six high school students last
week for distributing pamphlets calling on people to join an
anti-government uprising on September 9.

The All Burma Students' Democratic Front said the six were arrested last
Friday in the capital, Yangon.

Dissidents in exile say more than 150 people have been detained in the past
month over their call for an anti-government revolt on September 9, 1999 --
the so-called "four nines day."

[ ... ]

On Monday, the government said the call for an uprising was an "exercise in
futility" and accused Aung San Suu Kyi, the 1991 Nobel Peace laureate who
leads the main opposition party, of acting recklessly in voicing support
for the campaign.

[ ... ]

Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy won Myanmar's last election in 1990
by a landslide but was never allowed to govern. She was held under house
arrest for six years to 1995.

Political analysts say the military is better prepared for trouble than in
1988 and they doubt ordinary people will be willing to risk their lives
again in open street protests.

AFP: MYANMAR JUNTA ACCUSES SUU KYI OF "MENTAL ATROPHY"

YANGON, Aug 30 (AFP) - Myanmar's junta on Monday launched a stinging
personal attack on opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, accusing her of
"mental atrophy" and lending support to dissidents calling for a popular
uprising to topple military rule next month.

In a statement, the military said the National League for Democracy (NLD)
leader was acting "recklessly," and that any attempt at an uprising would
fail and be "the swansong of disaffected individuals."

"While there is no reason to doubt her protestation that the party did not
mastermind the four nines campaign she cannot be absolved of responsibility
as the involvement of a number of township level NLD leaders ... has been
uncovered," it said.

"She has become more intransigent than ever (and) runs the National League
for Democracy like her own private organisation."

Aung San Suu Kyi has accused the junta of using a clampdown on plans for an
uprising on September 9 -- or 9/9/99 -- as a pretext to tighten its grip
over the country.

The call for unrest has become known as the "four nines movement."

While declining to voice direct support, Aung San Suu Kyi refused in an
interview last week with AFP to disown dissidents campaigning for a mass
uprising.

"This is not a campaign that we started but our policy has always been very
clear on such things -- we will never disown any of our allies who have
fought for democracy," she said.

"I think they (the authorities) are using it as an excuse for cracking down.

"The authorities should not try to find victims for what will arise out of
their shortcomings."

The Nobel peace laureate would not say whether she expected the mass
uprising to go ahead, but warned the people's desire for democracy could
not be suppressed forever.

"What we are sure of is that the people are generally discontent and it
would not surprise me if there is discontent in some form or other, but
when it will come out we cannot predict," she said.

August 8 this year marked the 11th anniversary of an uprising in which
hundreds of pro-democracy demonstrators were gunned down by the army and a
junta took power from strongman General Ne Win.

That anniversary passed peacefully, but dissident groups have said
Myanmar's people have an "appointment" with September 9 to repeat the
events of 1988 and end the military's 37-year domination of politics.

Aung San Suu Kyi has been locked in a bitter political struggle with
Myanmar's military rulers since she led the NLD to an overwhelming victory
in 1990 elections.

The junta ignored the results and embarked on a campaign of intimidation
and arrest of NLD members and supporters.

The junta said recently that it had arrested 37 people, including NLD
members, in connection with the planned September unrest. Exiled dissidents
claim the figure is close to 150 people.

BURMA INDEPENDENT NEWS AGENCY: MOVING ON TO VICTORY WITH THE SPIRIT OF 8888
September, 1999 by Moe Thee Zun

BINA -- The Burma Independent News Agency --
Window on Burma #19
(From "The History of Burmese Democracy" (Special Insert), Mojo #6,
September 1999)

If we examine the success of democracy movements in various countries
during the post Cold War era, we can see four main points for success: (1)
the numerical strength of the masses, (2) their level of organization, (3)
international pressure, and (4) the attitude of the army.

Proof of the success of such movements in the 1980's and 1990's can be seen
today in countries like Indonesia, the Philippines, South Africa, Russia,
and other countries of Eastern Europe. But what happened in Burma?

In the 8-8-88 Burmese democracy movement, we had the strength of large
numbers of people, but without strong leadership to organize it.
Furthermore, the international community at that time was still unaware of
the real situation inside Burma. And finally, we had no support from the
army. These missing elements prevented the immediate success of the 8-8-88
movement.

The situation is very different today, and people everywhere are discussing
the 9-9-99 Movement. The energy that was missing in 8-8-88 is available for
us now. We have strong leadership from Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and all the
elected parliamentary delegates. The international community is very aware
of the Burmese problem, and most countries are helping the democracy
movement. We have been given social welfare, health and education services,
organizational training, and political support from other countries and the
UN.

These are some of the fruits of the 8-8-88 uprising. Because of the support
and privileges we have been given since then, it is our duty now to create
the 9-9-99 Movement.

Furthermore, army personnel today are suffering from severe economic
pressure due to the bad policies of the government. The Military
Intelligence is doubtful as to whether the army will hold together during
the 9-9-99 Movement.

Our UG ["underground"] workers in Rangoon have talked at length with
military officers concerning the 9999 Movement and the results we can
expect. We can see that our best chance for getting the support of the army
is to try to work together with General Maung Aye, and support him against
Khin Nyunt. If Maung Aye stands firmly on the side of the people, we will
be able to drive out Khin Nyunt, and the dignity of the army, which has
fallen so low under MIS control, will be restored.

The principal unknown factor is the numerical strength and unity of the
mass of the people. Without this strength and unity, there can be no
success for 9999. It is the strength of the mass that the enemies of
democracy fear most, and this is why they are violently opposing the 9999
Movement.

Our strategy for 9999 is based on our experiences from 8888. The Military
Intelligence operators will do everything they can to destroy the 9999
uprising. Having been given training and orders to destroy us, they will
behave in typical fascist manner, seeking to create dissention and fights
between the various religious and ethnic groups among the Burmese
population. The USDA and other military-controlled organizations will rally
against the 9999 movement, to build public support for the army's violence.
The MI has already taken special security measures to protect the army
VIPs' homes and properties, and troops are positioned to attack peaceful
9999 demonstrations.

We, the democracy forces, will never retreat from our decision to proceed
with the 9999 Movement. We must be vigilant, nevertheless, that our
demonstrations and actions remain peaceful and well organized, and that the
people are courageous and united. To those who dare to fight for truth and
justice will go the victory. This is the lesson we need to give to the
dictators of the world.

Like 8888, 9999 will never disappear. Like a ruby, the harder you try to
rub out the will of the people, the more brilliantly it shines forth.
Therefore, if we believe in democracy, we need not fear the enemy's
bragging and propaganda about crushing 9999. We need only to welcome the
9999 Movement completely and enthusiastically.

[MoJo means "Thunderbolt" in Burmese. MoJo is an independent newspaper from
the Burmese community in Thailand. Its primary content is social,
political, and economic news from all over Burma, and its intended readers
are the people inside Burma itself.   BINA will regularly provide
English-language excerpts from MoJo to the BurmaNet. If you would like to
receive a Burmese-language MoJo newspaper by post, please send your postal
address to bina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

SHAN HUMAN RIGHTS FOUNDATION: FORCED LABOUR SITUATION IN CENTRAL SHAN STATE
August, 1999

[Excerpted from SHRF MONTHLY REPORT -- AUGUST 1999]

Since May 1997 up to the present, SPDC troops stationed in Kun-Hing area
have been forcing relocated villagers to pave with stone the main road that
leads from Kun-Hing to Wan Zing and Murng-Nawng in Murng-Su.

SPDC troops of Wan Zing-based LIB518, under the command of Col Ngwe Lin,
have been forcing villagers who have been forcibly relocated to Kho Lam and
Kaad Lur on the Nam-Zarng - Kun-Hing road from their original villages in
the village tracts such as Ton Hoong and Naa Poi etc. in Lai-Kha township
since 1996-97, to pave the road between Sai Mon village in Kun-Hing
township and Wan Zing in Kae-See township.

The villagers have to work in rotation. One person from each house has to
go and work in a group of 50 for one week at a time and has to provide
their own food. Those who could not go have to hire others to go instead or
face a fine of 3,000 Kyat each.

Young women, married or single, widowed or divorced, are forced to camp
near where the SPDC troops who are overseeing the road paving are camping,
while the rest of the villagers are usually forced to camp at a distance.
The young women are forced to prepare food for the troops and wash their
clothes, and cut the carcasses of the cattle belonging to the villagers
which the troops have shot, to make dried meat and sell to the villagers.
In addition, many young women are often raped by the SPDC troops at night.

Villagers of Paang Peng, Wan Luk, Wan Nai, Nam Maw Paang Saang and Nawng
Paang in Wan Zing tract, who had been forced to move to different places in
1996-97 and again forced to gather at Wan Zing in mid 1998, are being
forced by the SPDC troops of LIB518 to dig trenches, make fences, cut wood
and bamboo, make thatched roofing sheets, build huts and tents, build
bunkers, plant crops, gather fire wood, provide vegetables and other food
stuff, provide alcoholic drinks and collect intelligence for the military
on a routine basis. At least 5-6 villagers have to work for the troops on a
daily basis.

After SPDC troops were stationed again at Win Zing in 1998, they have been
forcing the people in the area to rebuild the road between Kun-Hing, Sai
Mon, Wan Zing and Murng Nawng that was once built during the British
colonial period before WW II and has turned into jungle due to lack of use
and maintenance for a long time. Since the beginning of 1999, SPDC troops
have been banning cars and trucks travelling in the area from using Lai-Kha
- Murng Nawng route, but forcing them to use the Kun-Hing - Sai Mon - Wan
Zing - Murng Nawng route. The road has not yet finished and is still very
rough and difficult to travel, especially during the rains, causing every
driver to complain about it.

SPDC troops from the other battalions stationed in the area such as LIB524,
Artillery Battalion 331 from Maiktila, and Kun-Hing-based IB246 (whose
former commander Maj. Nyunt Oo, who committed the notorious massacre at
Taad Pha Ho on 16.6.97, has been promoted and replaced by a new commander,
Maj. Myat San) are also forcing the people to do one thing or another all
the time.

On 16.6.99, under the instruction of the Commander of the Eastern Command,
Brigadier General Maung Bo, a new battalion, IB249, has been formed. It is
said that the battalion was formed by enlisting 5-10 troops who are
regarded as the most cruel and villainous from many other battalions
including LIB518, LIB524, AB331 and IB246. The IB249 has less than 100
troops and is stationed between Phaang Laang and Ta Kaw, west of the
Salween river. People are very worried about what this new battalion will
do to them in terms of forced labour and other gross human rights violations.