Invitation for 9999 Action in Melbo

Subject: Invitation for 9999 Action in Melbourne, Australia

"INVITATION FOR 9999 ACTION IN MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA"

We, 9999 Action Committee (Victoria) in Australia would like to invite you to
join our demonstration in front of the Victoria Parliament House, in Melbourne
on 9th September 1999.

In Burma, the State Peace and Development Council (SPDC), the military junta,
has ignored the will of the people shown in the polls held on May 27, 1990.
And instead, it has embarked on a course of action to intimidate, harass and
arrest the elected people?s representatives and pre-empted them from
exercising their right to convene a parliament. Burma remains under the
military rule, and the people are denied peace and basic human rights since
1962. Thousands of political prisoners including near-200 elected
parliamentarians, students and members of National League for Democracy (NLD)
are held in detention. Under the military regime, the people of Burma continue
to struggle for the restoration of democracy.

Burmese people has chosen September 9, 1999 (9.9.99) for their second uprising
call because of its numerical significance after first uprising on
``four-eights day (8.8.88)'' -- August 8, 1988 ­ when the nationwide
pro-democracy movement began in Burma. However the people?s first uprising was
brutally oppressed by the massacre resulting in loss of thousands of lives and
the military coup on the September 18th, 1988.

We, Burmese people in Victoria, Australia will stage a demonstration on
September 9, 1999 to support a second general uprising call by Burmese people
for a repeat of the nationwide pro-democracy movement (anti-military
government) and to end the military dictatorship and to restore democracy and
human rights in Burma.

Our demonstration is also taking part in national and global action for 9999
with other 9999 action groups in USA, UK, Japan, India, Thailand and other a
number of countries in the world.

Therefore we would like to invite you to join our peaceful demonstration in
front of the Victoria Parliament House, in Melbourne, Australia on 9th
September 1999. The demonstration will be started at 12:30 PM.

"9999 Action Committee (Victoria) in Australia"