Burma govt sources on Mawdsley

--------------B6A716491352FE3728A09BFD

IS
1 October 1997:

Deportation of a so-called Entertainer

A news item appeared in the Bangkok post dated 1 October under the
heading NLD delegate harassed. In this news item and in separate other
instances Ms. Jude Smith of New Zealand claimed that she was assaulted
and detained for hours by military officials before being deported. The
actual story has it that Ms. Jude Smith was picked up at about 5 pm on
28 September in the restricted area and was taken to the immigration
department for questioning in downtown Yangon switching her to airport
for deportation. She was put on the Thai Airways which departed at 7:45
pm on the same day. Actually, contrary to her accusation detaining her
for a long time, after deducting all the driving hours from downtown
Yangon to the airport only about 45 minutes of questioning time were
left. She also claimed she had an invitation but the invitation was not
issued in her name. In fact she said she got it from someone while on
the way to Mrs. Aris's house.

More importantly, when she applied for a tourist visa she stated she was
a festival entertainer but her activities last Sunday indicated
something quite different. The NLD in fact did not invite foreign
journalists from abroad. Only the local foreign journalists came and
attended the event with valid invitations.

A similar deportation took place on the 17 September when James
Mawdsley, a Westerner attempted to create a civil disorder in downtown
Yangon by pulling a stunt of chaining himself to the fence of one High
School and shouted slogans in handing out anti-government pamphlets.
This week we have had Ms. Jude Smith entertaining us with a different
kind of stunt and who knows what kind of stunt man or stunt person may
come in from abroad in the coming weeks to rock our boat which is
sailing smoothly.

IS 8 May 1998:

Foreigner Arrested in Mawlamyine After Illegally Entering Myanmar

Authorities, acting on the information that a suspicious looking
foreigner, who was later identified as Mr James Rupert Russell Mawdsley,
was around the main market in Mawlamyine on 30 April, called him in for
questioning and action is being taken against him as he had illegally
entered the country without a passport and a visa. Investigations
conducted by officials of the Ministry of Immigration and Population
revealed that he was a person closely collaborating with KNU and ABSDF
terrorists and had illegally entered Myanmar without a passport, that he
came from Bangkok to Minthamee Camp of ABSDF terrorist group in Myanmar
near Thai-Myanmar border with the help of ABSDF Nyan Kyaw and Thurein,
that at the camp, he stayed and worked together with terrorists up to
February and then returned to Britain via Bangkok, that he came to
Bangkok again in August 1997 and discussed with Nyan Kyaw and Moe Thee
Zon of ABSDF, that he arrived Myanmar from Bangkok by air on 8 September
1997 holding a British passport, that he was nabbed by the authorities
while organizing anti-government demonstration in front of Botahtaung
Basic Education High School 6 in Yangon and trying to spread the
terrorists' propaganda pamphlets on 16 September and was expelled on 17
September, that he arrived Bangkok again in April 1998 and came to
Maesod by bus, that he met ABSDF terrorist Thurein in Maesod and after
aking propaganda pamphlets, went to meet KNU brigade commander Htain
Maung, that James Mawdsley left his passport with Thurein and he was
sentinto Myanmar through forest route by KNU terrorists, and that as he
arrived Mawlamyine on 30 April and was found suspicious-looking, he was
nabbed by the authorities. James Mawdsley is a conniving with KNU and
ABSDF terrorists and that he illegally entered the country with intend
to cause disturbances to disrupt stability of the State.

James Mawdsley is son of British Mr David Mawdsley and Australian Mrs
Dyana Mawdsley. He told the authorities that he holds dual British and
Australian citizenship.

Action is being taken against him in accord with immigration law.

--------------

Okkar, you can help us and post the IS according to Mawdsley which I
didn´t found.

Regards
Heiko
--
+================== Burma Group Tuebingen ==================+
| Heiko Schaefer                  | heiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx     |

begin:vcard
n:Schäfer;Heiko
tel;work:++49 (70 71) 55 25 54
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.burmagroup.de/
org:Burma Group Tübingen
adr:;;Beim Herbstenhof 42;Tübingen;;72076;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:heiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Chairman
x-mozilla-cpt:;19680