media releasr 54/99

Media Release 54/99

Another British demonstrator arrested in Rangoon

On 7 September 1999, Rachel Goldwyn, a 28 years old British student of
development studies in the London School of Oriental and African Studies,
was arrested in Rangoon for singing a pro-democracy song and chanting slogans.

She was arrested after a short demonstration in Maha Bandoola Pan Gyan
Street, downtown of Rangoon by Military Intelligence (MI) between 4.30 PM
and 5.00 PM after a brief demonstration. Her demonstration started with
singing a democracy song "Ah Yay Gyi Byi" (It is critical moment) in Burmese
and some 200 to 300 people gathered around her and joined the singing.
These people also chanted slogans such as "recognise CRPP (Committee
Representing People Parliament)", "reopen the universities" ,  "free James
Mawdsley" and "free Min Ko Naing".  She is currently detained at an
interrogation centre of military intelligence (MI) 14 in Rangoon, sources
informed.

The ABSDF strongly criticise the SPDC for the arrest and demand the Generals
to release her immediately.

The ABSDF believes those arresting advocates of human rights and democracy
from the international community or from Burma undermines the core values
contained within the Universal Declaration of Human Rights signed by Burma
in 1948. Everybody has right to enjoy freedom of expression according to
UDHR Article 19.

" We believes that the role of the international community in influencing
events in places such as South Africa and East Timor has been very
positive," said Aung Thu Nyein, General Secretary of the ABSDF. "The moral
commitment and values of universal human rights cannot be ignored and we
believe, therefore, do not breach the sovereignty of individual nations.
SPDC's action is totally against the Universal Declaration of Human Rights,
particularly on the subject of freedom of expression."

For more information, please contact: 01 3082398, 01 9604026 and 01 9519405.

 Mission statement of Rachel Goldwyn:

Rachel Goldwyn, 28 years old, Researcher for Democratic Burmese Students
Organisation (UK) and Corporate Watch (UK), Producer, Researcher and Sound
Recordist for broadcast television, and shortly to begin an MSc in
Development Studies in the School of Oriental and African Studies, London.

My mission to Burma is an action of solidarity to encourage the peoples of
Burma at this crucial time of 9-9-99, and let them know that there are many
others in the world who care about them and their suffering. I want the
world, and particularly the British people and Government to see this
genocidal regime for what it is.

My passion for human rights were ignited when working in a Karenni refugee
camp on the Thai-Burma border, where I learnt about the disgusting human
rights violations committed against the Karenni and other peoples of Burma.
I saw people who had been forced off their land into concentration camps,
people who had been tortured and/or forced to be porters, women who had been
raped, and land mine victims. These Karenni were the kindest, gentlest and
most generous people I have ever met, despite living in abject poverty and
suffering from 50 years of war.

Even now, the situation has worsened, with death squads roaming these border
areas, seeking out and killing indiscriminately those still hiding in the
jungle. Elsewhere in Burma the situation is no better. People exist without
rights, all opposition to the junta is brutally crushed, people live in
poverty, there is no freedom of movement, assembly or expression, the
universities have been closed since 1996, women are routinely sold into the
sex industry, and the AIDS epidemic is rampant.

For most people in the UK or outside Burma, this all seems remote. But it
isn't, since investing in or trading with Burma funds the brutal regime that
commits these atrocities. British companies have blood on their hands too.
Premier Oil (UK) has a massive investment in an offshore gas field in Burma.
When their project is completed it will provide a continuous revenue stream
to the military, in addition to the massive signature bonuses already paid.
They are not alone. Other companies, such as Guinness, sell their products
there. This studied ignorance by British companies reviles me, they should
be bought to book for their role in propping up this genocidal dictatorship.
The British government, while 'not encouraging trade with Burma' does
nothing to prevent it. So much for Blair's ethical foreign policy.

I call upon the British Government to enact unilateral financial sanctions
against Burma until a democratic government is formed just as Burma's
democratically elected leader, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, has asked. I want to
tell the peoples of Burma to be brave at this important time, and to tell
the generals they better start running.

In solidarity,
Rachel Goldwyn
15th August 1999