Media Release on September 10, 1999

</b>10 September 1999<br>
<b><div align="center">
ABSDF Praises Those Who Have Defied Tight Security Initiate the 9999
Democracy Movement, Vows to Continue Action<br>
</b></div>
ABSDF applauds the courage and commitment of the people who launched
protests against the military regime in Burma on 9999.&nbsp; Although the
particularly tight security measures imposed by the military during this
time create additional challenges, the democracy movement vows to
continue our struggle against the illegitimate regime.&nbsp; We will
therefore continue to launch actions until the emergence of a countrywide
popular democracy movement.<br>
Yesterday, several small-scale demonstrations occurred throughout the
country while major cities were unusually quiet.&nbsp; In Rangoon, we
have confirmed that protests were held at Tamwe, Hlaing campus, Hledan
Junction, Insein Park, Pazundaung market, South Okkalapa, Daw Bon Bridge
and Dagon University campus.&nbsp; In Meiktila, a major military center
in upper Burma, a larger scale demonstration was held.&nbsp; Reports were
also received from Taungyi, Shan State, of a small-scale
demonstration.&nbsp; All of these occurred under tight security and with
great personal risk involved for the participants. <br>
&nbsp; <br>
ABSDF believes that the numerous small hit-and-run demonstrations reflect
the feelings of the majority of Burmese people rather than the opinion of
just a minority.&nbsp; The craving for change by Burmese people will not
disappear.&nbsp; ABSDF is more confident than ever because of the support
shown in recent movements.&nbsp; We also believe that the 9999 campaign
emerged due to the situation prevailing in the country and therefore
cannot be resolved by continuing to impose military rule. <br>
ABSDF believes now is the right time for the Burmese people to act in
unison.&nbsp; All our efforts and resources will be used to this end.
Aung Thu Nyein, general secretary of the ABSDF, says; ?We have achieved a
pre-emptive victory because the authorities have been forced to react
nervously to the actions of our people.&nbsp; The continuing arrests --
some 500 so far -- clearly show how the people do not wish to cooperate
with the authorities.&nbsp; We have heard of so many stories of low risk
non-cooperation with the regime. All those people taking risks in the
face of tough action do so because of their belief in the victory of
Burmese people over the military junta. We are proud of them and stand
beside them in this battle. Their bravery and non-<br>
cooperation is in stark contrast to the behavior of the drug lords, money
launderers and those seeking business deals in Burma.?<br>
Meanwhile, state-run TV-Myanmar since yesterday suspended regular
programming and broadcast stock footage of military parades and
activities throughout the day.&nbsp; <br>
Reports from Myawaddy, adjacent to the Thai border town of Mae Sot,
confirmed that local military officials have been issuing warnings over
loudspeakers daily since early September.&nbsp; The public announcements
were aimed at dissuading participation in the 9999 activities and banning
gatherings of more than 5 people, the wearing of yellow&nbsp; the
symbolic colour of the democratic opposition, stamping of currency with
the 9999 slogan.&nbsp; The Thailand-Myanmar Friendship Bridge was closed
to border trade yesterday after the SPDC issued a firm request to the
Thai authorities to prevent Burmese workers in Mae Sot from returning to
their home.&nbsp; Reports from Tachilek, adjacent to the Thai border town
of Mai Sai, indicate similar preventive measures.&nbsp; <br>
<b>For more information, please contact: 01 960 4026, 01 308 2398, 01 951
9405<br>
<BR>

All Burma Students' Democratic Front (ABSDF)<br>
P.O. Box 42, Hua Mark P.O, Bangkapi, 10243, Bangkok<br>
&lt;caroline@xxxxxxxxxxxx&gt; &lt;lurie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<br>