International Literacy Day observed

YANGON, 8 Sept - The 1999  International  Literacy
Day was observed at Myanmar  Educational  Research
Bureau on Pyay Road this  morning  with an address
by  Chairman   of  Myanmar   Education   Committee
Secretary-l  of the State  Peace  and  Development
Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt.

 In his address, the Secretary-1 made a speech.

 Finally, I would  like to stress  once  again the
 fact that we must endeavour to transform  Myanmar
 into a peaceful, prosperous, modern and developed
 nation   based  on  our   beliefs,   culture  and
 tradition.  We must also welcome the 21st century
 which  will  be the  Age  of  Knowledge  on  this
 special   occasion  of  the  last   International
 Literacy Day of the 20th century.

 Then, Resident  Representative of UNDP Mr Patrice
 Coeur-Bizot made a speech.

 General  Secretary  of  Myanmar  UNESCO  National
 Commission   Rector  of   Yangon   Institute   of
 Education  U Han  Tin  read  the  message  of the
 director-general of UNESCO.

 Afterwards,  documentary  video on Education  for
 All  activities  being carried out in Myanmar was
 shown.

After the  ceremony,  the  Secretary-1  and guests
viewed the  Exhibition on  International  Literacy
Day.