The Times - Woman held in Burma had

Subject: The Times - Woman held in Burma had planned protest

The Times (UK) Sep 10, 1999.

Woman held in Burma had planned protest

BY JOANNA BALE

THE best friend of a young British woman being held in Burma for singing a
revolutionary song spoke yesterday of her fears for her safety.
Hannah Goff, 28, described Rachel Goldwyn, also 28, as a dedicated
pro-democracy campaigner who now faced torture, rape and a long prison
sentence after being arrested during a demonstration in Rangoon, the Burmese
capital, on Tuesday.

Ms Goff, of Barnes, southwest London, spoke of her great admiration for her
childhood friend, also from Barnes, who sang We Will Never Forget and
demanded civil rights for the country in front of 300 students before her
arrest. However, she added: "I have fears about torture and rape. I know
they treat their prisoners like animals over there."

Ms Goff, a reporter on the South London Press, said her friend had discussed
her plans and asked her to help. "Rachel has a heart of gold but I am just
concerned that this might be her undoing."

Ms Goff said it was not clear where her friend was being held. Pro-democracy
groups in Burma had been tracking her movements, but had lost her.

Ms Goldwyn had not told her parents what she planned to do, telling them
instead that she was going to Germany. Ms Goff explained: "She knew they
would do everything they could to stop her."

Dr Charmian Goldwyn, a GP, said she and her husband Ed, a television
producer, were desperately worried for Rachel. She said: "I was desperate
when I first heard. I am very proud of her, but I also desperately wish she
hadn't done this."

The news of Ms Goldwyn's detention came as David Mawdsley, the father of
James Mawdsley, the British pro-democracy campaigner who was sentenced to 17
years in a Burmese jail, said he feared his son was being tortured.

A Foreign Office spokesman said attempts were being made to get access to Ms
Goldwyn and Mr Mawdsley.